Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

Is that on top of the $2,000 tax credit or take the place of? If it take the place of they need to up the income limits. That would be a tax increase on higher middle class families if they take it way. The phase out for married couples doesn’t even start until $400,000 right now. So $150,000 is unacceptable if taken the place of.

Edited by just654

Two items to comment on this today: 

Bernie Sanders making the same point some on here have made. Dems are at risk of having families get two checks under Trump and excluded from the Biden checks. 

What I read is that this $3000 is on top of the child-tax credit.  It would be a temporary measure.  My political take is that they are pushing it as a seperate bill because Manchin and Sistema are likely to block it... just my take.  

I would think discussion of the child allowance may deserve to be seperate from this thread, because people are already getting confused.

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Two items to comment on this today: 

Bernie Sanders making the same point some on here have made. Dems are at risk of having families get two checks under Trump and excluded from the Biden checks. 

What I read is that this $3000 is on top of the child-tax credit.  It would be a temporary measure.  My political take is that they are pushing it as a seperate bill because Manchin and Sistema are likely to block it... just my take.  

I would think discussion of the child allowance may deserve to be seperate from this thread, because people are already getting confused.

I new thread would be OK but there is a policy thread that most of those conversations are happening. 

Biden rips GOP for 'all of a sudden' showing fiscal restraint

President Biden on Friday chastised Republican lawmakers who have raised concerns about the country's debt to oppose a large economic relief package he has put forward, suggesting their arguments were hypocritical or short-sighted.

"What Republicans have proposed is either to do nothing, or not enough," Biden said in prepared remarks on his $1.9 trillion proposal. "All of a sudden many of them have rediscovered fiscal restraint and the concern for the deficits. But don’t kid yourself, this approach will come with a cost: more pain for more people for longer than it has to be."

Biden outlined his case for pushing the massive bill through Congress in order to get relief to the American people amid the coronavirus pandemic, which has wreaked havoc on the U.S. economy.

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Like 1

@The Evil Genius

Completly reasonable thresholds.  The other item I saw was to ensure people can claim on their 2020 tax returns if they don't qualify at 2019 levels.  

With those two changes, I don't think folks on the left can complain.  What is the GOP going to argue?  "You can't give that much money to poor people!!!!!"

• Like 2

Looks like there is progress even during the impeachment. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/1400-stimulus-checks-pass-1-173338101.html

Democrats are one step further in advancing President Biden’s $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, as the House Ways and Means Committee said that it had approved key measures of the plan yesterday – including $1400 checks.

“Over the last two days, the Ways and Means Committee has considered aggressive, science-based solutions that will deliver the urgent relief our country so desperately needs. From unemployment benefits to health care affordability, the work we’ve done is substantial, and it is exactly what the American people have been calling on us to do to meet this moment,” Committee Chairman Richard Neal said in a statement.

• Thanks 1

How billions in pandemic aid was swindled by con artists and crime syndicates

When investigators raided a strip mall store in Garden Grove, California, in December, they found a line of customers snaking around the parking lot and huge stacks of cash inside the store.

Orange County prosecutors say Nguyen Social Services was charging up to $700 a pop to file false unemployment claims for people who did not qualify to receive Covid-19 relief money.

The brazen fraud was part of an overall scheme that cost taxpayers an estimated $11 million, prosecutors say.

“This isn’t just an Orange County problem. It isn’t just a California problem,” said Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer. “This is a breakdown of catastrophic proportions that has failed the American taxpayer.”

Government aid programs have long been fertile ground for scammers. But the scale of the fraud in the unemployment program created by the CARES Act has reached a staggering level, state and federal officials say.

The Labor Department inspector general has yet to complete a full investigation but, based on previous programs, estimates at least $63 billion of the $630 billion in disbursements has been misspent. The full scope of the loss in taxpayer funds is likely orders of magnitude higher, experts and officials say, soaring well beyond $100 billion.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

Looks like late March is the target for stimulus checks to be sent out: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/next-stimulus-check-more-likely-213600156.html

Speaker Pelosi says the House can see the finish line. "We hope to have this all done by the end of February," she said Thursday during a news conference, while adding that a bill should be on the president's desk no later than the first part of March.

Under that timeline, you could receive your next stimulus check as soon as late March.

• goskins10 changed the title to Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!