Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I’m thinking they are going to end the filibuster. I think the growing pressure to pass progressive legislation will win the day. Fingers crossed.

Not sure they can do that without Manchin and Sinema among others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Not sure they can do that without Manchin and Sinema among others.

Right. 

I want to know what is next on their list that they can get 50 Dems to vote yes on. Don't worry about the "haters and losers". Don't even respond to their little gifs on social media. Nothing to gain by dunking on them now. Move on to the next thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

WV isn't going blue again (if really ever again) until the Boomer gen is mostly gone. They're the ones who largely abandoned the pro-union beliefs that kept it blue. 

They are still pro union but shelved that for cultural stuff.  I know they are still people there who don't take to kind to people who cross picket lines.  

Until WV finds something that replaces those coal jobs with something of equivalent pay; those people won't vote for the Dems at the presidential level and at other levels.  WV is a solid red state now.

Also, non-college educated Gen X; at least in WV has the same attitudes as boomers. 

Progressives are whining about not getting their way.  Well, win elections then.  Yes, the GOP has rigged things for them to win; you have to beat them outright.

Progressives didn't win much in 2020.  Your progressive presidential candidate, after winning the first 3 races; was rejected by the democratic voters, as they felt Joe Biden was better choice to beat Donald.    Joe wins the election over Donald but did he win the election or did Donald lose the election?   I will say 2020 was more Donald losing the election than Joe winning the election.  Why do I say that?  If the American people were really gung ho for Joe's agenda; they would've gave him a congress to go along with that.   They really didn't.  They lost house seats.  They lost senate races they were supposed to win.  The Senate came down to a fluke special election that under normal circumstances; the Dems wouldn't have won both.

So, the Dems just barely have control.  The Dems really aren't as united as people think. Last year, they were united in getting Trump out.   There's a difference between what progressives want and what moderate/conservative Dems want.  Progressives aren't a majority of the Dem caucus yet; so they will have to comprise with other Dems, to their chargrin.

You want Manchin and Sienema gone; then beat them in the primary next time.  Though, I'll be surprised if a progressive candidate could win,at least in WV. 

I said the biggest problem Joe would have, would be from the GOP; you expect them to fully oppose you.  The biggest problem would be getting the Dems to unite; which is problematic when you have people on opposite ends of spectrum.  What an AOC/Warren/Sanders want; isn't what a Machin/Seinema wants.  

So, I realistically wouldn't expect to much from Joe; because he doesn't have the numbers in congress to do anything.

• Thanks 2

What I mean, Joe Biden doesn't have the numbers in congress to pass much of his legislation.  You can only use reconciliation once per budget cycle.   Since they didn't have one last year, the one just passed was using last year's reconciliation. So, there's once more for this year and my guess they use that one on infrastructure.

HR1, immigration, etc.. is going to have a tough time getting through.  Nancy maybe able to herd the House, with her narrow majority.  Though is a significant part of her caucus opposes a bill; she won't be able to pass it.  The Senate is impossible; since the GOP will just filibuster and you have at least 2 Dems that will never vote to remote the filibuster.

So, for those of you expecting tons of sweeping new bills; it isn't going to happen. You don't have the numbers, particularly in the Senate to overcome GOP obstructionism and any Dems not going along. 

You got the covid relief bill.  You get infrastructure later this year.  Then you one shot of something next year.   You hope by Election Day 2022 the pandemic is behind us and the economy is roaring.  Do that and you may be able to overcome the historical norm; where the party holding the white house suffers losses in the 1st midterms. Then in 2023; if the Dems keep control and increase their numbers.  Then you can pass the stuff you couldn't during the first 2 years and pass other stuff on your wishlist.     

That doesn't mean you don't try now but in reality; you know it will meet a roadblock in the Senate.  So, you will have to frame those not passed bills in your 2022 election messaging.

My understanding is the Senate is able to use reconciliation for revenue, spending, and the federal debt limit.  Once in each area, so 3 times per year at most.  I’m still unclear on the unused one from last year though.  Was that what was used for the Covid relief bill?  How many can carry over usually?  Gonna take the rest of my thoughts on over to the Legislative thread when I get a minute.

It boggles the mind how these imbeciles are supposedly elected to represent the people,  and yet they are only interested in representing their own personal interests.  I rarely get into politics, but I honestly have been mesmerized, and horrified, at how obscene the Republican party has acted both during Trump's presidency (or reign of terror if you prefer) and now. It's disheartening to know that they could care less about assisting the very people that voted them into office. All for one dip**** who is continues to treat politics much like he has operated his business ventures and reality TV. 

I'm not excusing some Democrats either. What in the blue hell was with Sinema's " thumbs down losers cause I'm still a 16 year old high schooler "? I'm embarrassed to watch that thinking this is an elected assclown that's supposed to be representing the people. 😠 

Glad the bill got passed cause there are so many people that need help. But watching this circus on Capitol hill is disgusting. 

End of days, folks. End of days.

Edited by skinsfan4128
  • Like 1

• goskins10 changed the title to Stimulus Update - 3/7/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill Passes the Senate - Goes back to the House - Expected to pass

Yeah it's insanely obvious that Mitch didn't give a **** about what was in the bill, how much it would cost, how much it would add to the debt, and certainly not who would be helped by it.

He's just terrified that it's potential positive impact on the country and the economy will give Dems a "win" and they'll get credit and that may help them in 2022.

He all but admitted it by preemptively saying the Dems shouldn't get any credit for the economic recovery it will likely help.

Also, Susan Collins can get ****ed. She's such a sniveling hack, it drives me up the wall.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I feel like the GOP trying to convince their base that they should criticize the stimulus they receive from this bill will be a bit like trying to convince people that the jokes they're laughing at aren't funny lol...

Yeah and nevermind the fact that the polling shows tons of support from the public, including lots of Republicans. 

This is one hell of a gamble for the Republicans. 

• Like 2

Good bill, will make a hugely positive impact. This countries outlook on economics and social welfare has dramatically shifted to the left with this. Obama couldn’t have passed this stimulus with a Dem supermajority in 2008. 

I frankly believe we will look back at this pandemic and the economic response to it as a turning point in how we view aid to the poor and the struggling, and that direct cash help from the government is a hugely successful policy measure. 

This is a generational shift akin to Reaganomics. Dare I say, we are entering a new era of economic thinking and policy making.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 5