Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

Of course not. He only knows whatever the last person told him and even then get gets most of it wrong. 

honestly I expect him to refuse to sign/veto anything because he’s petulant and what else would you expect? He lost the election and is in do nothing/tear things down on the way out mode. He doesn’t give a ****. 

but maybe McConnell budges a little. Who knows. I’ve struggled to figure out what the gop strategy is ever since Trump won the primaries. Nothing they do makes sense to me from a strategy standpoint (except stacking the courts and removing or destroying regulation)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tshile said:

Who knows. I’ve struggled to figure out what the gop strategy is ever since Trump won the primaries. Nothing they do makes sense to me from a strategy standpoint (except stacking the courts and removing or destroying regulation)

Well no one knows what the strategy is, not even Mitch. Simple reason, Trump. You can't plan when you don't know what stupid idiocracy comes out of his mouth. You can't plan around unpredictability. They obviously can't stand Trump, meaning the party's leadership as a whole can't stand him. They probably hoped all the insanity would go away during this transition so they could get back to government shutdowns, debt ceilings, cutting spending, and all the other BS that only matters when there is a Democratic president. There's no plan for the next 30 days at least. What will be interesting is what hold will Trump have on the party this time next year, the year after that, etc. I think the party's leadership knew he wouldn't go away quietly, but they didn't expect these last 45 days or so. When all the chaos from Trump subsides, it'll be just like 2009 all over again. 

Edited by Busch1724

I'm sorry, this is hilarious. 

All the foreign aid he objected to in the bill was in-line with his own budget request. 

It's like he doesn't even realize that this COVID Bill was part of the Government appropriations bill.  Or he's too clever like a fox.  No, no... he's not.  

See what happens when you let unemployment insurance expire and if you shutdown the government.   

Do you think people will remember in 2024, if you are trying to run again?  Go ahead... burn the GOP on your way out of town.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The other thing I'll point out is that they messed up the "phase out" on the $600 bill.  If the intention was to provide payments to the same Americans in the first bill.  

Original bill phased out at $99k per individual.  I think the language is something like you get 100 percent up to $75K adjusted gross income and then it phases out $50 per $1000 of AGI.  This means $1200 phases out at $99k.  When they reduced it to $600, they didn't reduce the phase out.  So $600 phases out at $87k.  

So if they give $2000 will that also have the same phase out?  In that case the $2000 will phase out at $115k AGI (if my math is correct).   

Even my teenage son says "Trump increased the payments to $2000"... 

25 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

The other thing I'll point out is that they messed up the "phase out" on the $600 bill.  If the intention was to provide payments to the same Americans in the first bill.  

Original bill phased out at $99k per individual.  I think the language is something like you get 100 percent up to $75K adjusted gross income and then it phases out $50 per $1000 of AGI.  This means $1200 phases out at $99k.  When they reduced it to $600, they didn't reduce the phase out.  So $600 phases out at $87k.  

So if they give $2000 will that also have the same phase out?  In that case the $2000 will phase out at $115k AGI (if my math is correct).   

Even my teenage son says "Trump increased the payments to $2000"... 

Is it $75K per taxpayer or $75K per household?

@Elessar78

I don't know how "head of household" works (unsure what you mean by household). I will explain as individual and married filing jointly.  

Dependents are $600, no AGI cap.  

Individuals are $600 up to $75k AGI.  Phases out at $50 per $1000 of AGI, so If your AGI is $87k you get nothing as an individual.  

Married filing jointly, it will be $600 each up to $150k AGI ($1200 total).  Same phase out of $50 per $1000, so the $1200 phases out at $174k.  

I think folks assumed Congress would adjust the phase out when they adjusted the amount.  Ie... $25 per $1000 AGI over the thresholds.  That is what was "advertised".  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Once somebody tells him the whole government shuts down he will cave and sign.  I really doubt he even knew this when speaking. 

I dunno. Do you really think Trump cares if the government shuts down? He might just believe it will help his attempt at a coup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m not sure what his point was, but I think it makes a lot more since to offer direct payments and expanded unemployment benefits instead of those 

Trump's point is to confuse (intentionally or not) a "government funding bill" with "COVID relief bill".  

They were tied to each other in the same legislation...

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

16A07AA0-D6AD-44AB-9FCD-E08B85D77477.jpeg

I have a simple solution for McConnell since we apparently can't afford a dime more.  Take all the money US is appropriating for foreign countries in the bill.  Then add all the industry specific tax breaks unrelated to covid relief in the bill.  Convert the sum to increasing the individual stimulus amount.

Now tell me if you can find it in your soul to appropriate some for funds for your friends and benefactors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1