Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

1 hour ago, tshile said:

To some extent yes. I agree. 

im just not sure to what extent. 

im already watching people not renew leases and downsizing significantly. My own company is talking about how all we really need is a conference room and 2 small offenses for as-needed use. Everyone loves working from home. And why spend all that money if you don’t have to?

hard to know how it shakes out yet. And there will be pros. Companies are finding employees work more right now. Cuts out 1-2 hours of communities, for example. 

im expecting it to take a huge hit. It can’t go away. Working from home doesn’t work for everyone or every sector. 

excited to see less traffic, pollution, and stress overall for people though :)

Output for my company, biotech company hasn’t changed out all. Same demand. However, more than half the office is now working from home. Only people who come to site are people actually help create the medicine and supervisors. 

so many desk jockeys who don’t do anything. It’s kinda crazy how many people are actually necessary vs what is deemed necessary. 

• Like 1

I actually agree with whomever was saying the AGI threshold is too high... (was it Collins) it went from $2400 for a family of 4 to $6400.  Without adjusting the phase out (which seemed like something dumb that Congress missed when they first passed the bill) to phase out the amount from "0 percent to 100 percent" between $150k AGI and $200k AGI per family this is giving a nice benefit to families like mine who are not as impacted.  

5 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

this is giving a nice benefit to families like mine who are not as impacted.  

the problem with your logic is that there is no “fair” way to determine who “needs”/“deserves” help and who doesn’t 

it’s good you haven’t been impacted. Neither has my family (at least not financially, we’re impacted in other ways)

but projecting that out to some notion that AGI is an indicator of whether someone needs help right now is not sound logic. There are plenty of people under the threshold that don’t need help. And plenty above that do. 

the real question is how do we limit long term economic damage. Pull all the emotions out of it. Losing jobs, houses, and going into financial ruin all pull on heart strings (well not everyone’s...) but strip that away and just talk about the economic damage. 

go back to the 2008 recession. The truth is that by the time the bottom end of the country got back to normal (financially), we pretty much went straight into a new economic crisis. And even though we have numbers that can tell us they finally caught up, there are always people lost in the wash that aren’t represented by the data. 

alcohol and drug problems, marital issues and divorce, abuse, crime - all things that cause economic damage that can have lasting effects and are all things that rise when we are in crisis. They are also all things that disproportionately affect the lower ends.  These become long term drains on the economy. 

sorry. To get back on track. Agi is a terrible measurement for this. 

and what we don’t need is for any particular person to have money. What we need is money moving through the economy. 

even people who are t financially impacted tightened up on spending. This makes the damage worse. As news of the damage getting worse spreads, these same people tightened up more. Round and round we go in a death spiral of sorts. 

I can see it in my finances. Our monthly spending plummeted after March. By like 50%. Income changed not at all - in fact we’re probably going to make more this year than ever. But for a while out expenses went to bare minimums as we tried to figure out how bad this would hurt us. 

so giving people who don’t need money, is ok. As long as they spend it. It makes up for the the drop in spending. It stops the death spiral. 

and if the government gives companies money, and they sit on it (like so many are doing with the PPP that everyone seems to think is so awesome...) then the money isn’t moving. Nothing is accomplished. 

but if people spend the money, then there’s a multiplier effect. If the government gives you 2k, and you buy tshile’s widgets, now I have 2k. And when I buy supplies from trythebeal’s warehouse, it becomes his money. 

The government sent just one 2k check but it’s now become a total of 6k for 3 different people. Now multiply that across the entire economy. You can fill a gap in spending. You can put a dent in layoffs and pay cuts. You can quell anger and outrage. 

and you can limit long term economic damage. 

whatever you think we’d save by not sending it to people who don’t need it, we’d lose far more in losing that multiplier effect, in not getting people that need help the help they need, in long term economic damage, etc. 

im not saying we should raise it high enough I get a check. I’m not trying to be selfish or jealous about it. 

I am saying determining whether someone needs it by agi is a AWFUL metric. 

I am saying that all the handwringing over who gets it and who doesn’t and who deserves it and who doesn’t, costs us more than just sending the damn check in the first place. 

it’s maddening how this is not well understood enough by everyone that our politicians continue to get away with the same damned bull**** every time we have a crisis

(I’m not against bailing out industries, but I do think we are categorically awful at leveraging our economic power and wealth during a crisis, and that we keep doing it over and over and no one ever learns a damn thing it seems. )

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tshile said:

In short @Fergasun

if you get a check...

do your patriotic duty and spend it. Immediately!

and enjoy whatever you get for it. 
And thank you for caring about your country and doing the right thing :)

or it could be donated.  And those organizations would spend it but in a way that would help others and pump many into the economy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, tshile said:

Welcome to arbitrarily deciding what is and isn’t too much money

what gets me every time is they never even bother to chain it to cost of living where you are. All these supposedly smart people that are part of the process and then all these supposedly smart voters that champion the causes and not a damn one of them understands that there’s way more to your socioeconomic status than official agi. 

Not to mention income has little to do with financial stability. Making more money doesn’t tend to change how responsible people are with money. It also doesn’t account for people that had huge life changes this year like, I don’t know, maybe pay cuts or losing an entire income to the house?

not to mention it completely ignore the economic need of having people spend more money. 

I know people that need it and can’t qualify because of these dumb ways of doing business. Both sides of the aisle act this way. they do it with all sorts of things. It’s dumb. Oh well. 

You’re right but it’s loaded. Someone in CA would get $1000, while someone in Kansas would only get $300 instead of $600. Easy to explain, tough to justify.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I took T-dogs advice and ordered some goofy **** from Goldbelly.

I keep looking at their ads on FB and pause a long time looking at The Bomb at Jerry's Seafood in Maryland. When I worked at DEC over there, we would often go to Jerry's and that huge crab bomb was my go to order. I miss the availability of fresh crab meat from the Chesapeake Bay so much! But a $100 outlay for a huge crab bomb isn't in my future.

45 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I keep looking at their ads on FB and pause a long time looking at The Bomb at Jerry's Seafood in Maryland. When I worked at DEC over there, we would often go to Jerry's and that huge crab bomb was my go to order. I miss the availability of fresh crab meat from the Chesapeake Bay so much! But a $100 outlay for a huge crab bomb isn't in my future.

Key Lime and Coconut Bundt cakes from Dockisde Market in Key Largo.  Gonna nuke my neighbors New Years resolutions!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clietas said:

So Trump n his rich asshole friends basically wanna be able to sue social media companies for any and everything? Hasn't Trump been after this for awhile? 

Of course he only sees it from one side. While yes he will be able to sue them for anything he doesn't like, the end result will be those sites will censor things to the point where there will not be anything controversial including all the crap he wants to post!  LOL 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Of course he only sees it from one side. While yes he will be able to sue them for anything he doesn't like, the end result will be those sites will censor things to the point where there will not be anything controversial including all the crap he wants to post!  LOL 

It will end uncensored user created content in the US.  Every comment and post will need to be moderated.  Trumps followers are morons, and they clearly have no idea what they’re supporting here.  Trump knows exactly what he’s doing though.  They were mean to him so now he wants to damage them as badly as he can.  

That said, I’m not entirely against the idea of killing social media.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

It will end uncensored user created content in the US.  Every comment and post will need to be moderated.  Trumps followers are morons, and they clearly have no idea what they’re supporting here.  Trump knows exactly what he’s doing though.  They were mean to him so now he wants to damage them as badly as he can.  

That said, I’m not entirely against the idea of killing social media.  

You can kiss ES goodbye.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3