Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)

MartinC

Gus Frerrotte 2.0

For all you younger fans, look him up. Capable QB who found himself in a starting role replacing a 1st round bust. Was never going to lead a team deep into the playoffs. Low ceiling guy. Prone to the occasional bonehead play, most famously injuring himself by headbutting a wall after scoring a TD.

He's definitely a guy I wouldn't mind as my backup QB.  Looking at the QB depth charts, he would easily be a top 5 backup in the league, IMO. 

There arent too many guys I would definitively prefer over him.  I think I would only go Flacco, Schaub, Brissett, and Keenum before I got to Allen. But not necessarily in that order. And I don't feel strongly about Flacco or Schaub either.  I could be talked into Allen over them.

I'm just happy to see him bounce back after his two absolutely atrocious turnovers. He lead them to a fg and td after his pick and then what could have been a game tying td drive after his fumble. That shows he has some ability to overcome setbacks and not compound them. Otherwise this game was kind of ridiculous. They only had 8 possessions the entire game. 

23 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I'm just happy to see him bounce back after his two absolutely atrocious turnovers. He lead them to a fg and td after his pick and then what could have been a game tying td drive after his fumble. That shows he has some ability to overcome setbacks and not compound them. Otherwise this game was kind of ridiculous. They only had 8 possessions the entire game. 

Way to try and polish a turd..we lost to an atrocious 0-5 team while he was directly responsible for 2 opposition scores. Fail

15 minutes ago, skinbuck said:

Way to try and polish a turd..we lost to an atrocious 0-5 team while he was directly responsible for 2 opposition scores. Fail

It wasn’t that bad of a game. He was good enough to give us a chance to win despite the mistakes. Definitely would give him more starts.

2 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

honestly wasn’t. Wasn’t good but for only having 8 possessions it wasn’t that bad.

Honestly was. He displayed some good touch on some passes but took a bad sack and a crippling pick that led directly to points and a sack fumble that he tried to play hero ball on. 

Does this mean he can’t be our backup of the future? No. But to say he played an okay game is a bit of an overstatement. I would have given him okay if he converted on that 2pt conversion. 

I grade QBs on the same scale. I would have crushed Haskins for the same plays.

Just now, KDawg said:

Honestly was. He displayed some good touch on some passes but took a bad sack and a crippling pick that led directly to points and a sack fumble that he tried to play hero ball on. 

Does this mean he can’t be our backup of the future? No. But to say he played an okay game is a bit of an overstatement. I would have given him okay if he converted on that 2pt conversion. 

Nah. He threw for 280 yards and 2 tds while leading the team to 4 scoring drives in 8 possessions. In no world is that “really bad”. 

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He looked like a good backup to me. He showed nice touch (Haskins does not hit that fade pass to Thomas for the TD for example) but he turned it over last year in Carolina and he turned it over twice today. I thought he had more arm than he showed today as well - he looked like he lacked arm strength.

He made some clutch plays on 3rd downs to be fair and he gets credit for an excellent last drive and TD pass to Simms. But overall it’s was pretty meh IMO.

But as I said when Haskins was playing any QB would struggle in this offense with the lack of talent around them.

4 hours ago, Rskins91 said:

He was interesting to watch today. We were in position to win because of his play... but also lost on his bonehead turnovers.

Or he could have ran in on the 2 point conversation and didn't take the chance. A real QB would have at least try to run it in if there was no play to the WRs. 

10 hours ago, zskins said:

Or he could have ran in on the 2 point conversation and didn't take the chance. A real QB would have at least try to run it in if there was no play to the WRs. 

There was no one open to throw to, and there was no way Allen was getting in.  Peppers was right there at the goal line daring him to run.  

I loved that he moved the ball consistently. We only had a few punts (but need to factor in the INT and the fumble returned for a TD). We need a running game because we can't keep putting the offense on the shoulders of a young QB, especially if we want to minimize our mistakes. There have been only a few good TD or deep passes this year and those two yesterday were some of them. I thought the game was over after the fumble TD and as much as I hated that play and thought it was why he wasn't the guy, the fact that he came in the drive after that and drove us down the field to potentially win the game is a reason he may be the guy. 

As much I keep saying - we're a young team and we're making young team mistakes (now Allen included) and we need to continue to improve as a team. 

I honestly compare this performance to Haskins Cleveland game where he had highs and lows and the lows ultimately were the reason why we lost but the highs were the reason we were in the game. 

21 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I honestly compare this performance to Haskins Cleveland game where he had highs and lows and the lows ultimately were the reason why we lost but the highs were the reason we were in the game. 

This is fair.  It's also a reason why this team can not go back to Alex Smith under any circumstances.  

49 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I loved that he moved the ball consistently. We only had a few punts (but need to factor in the INT and the fumble returned for a TD). We need a running game because we can't keep putting the offense on the shoulders of a young QB, especially if we want to minimize our mistakes. There have been only a few good TD or deep passes this year and those two yesterday were some of them. I thought the game was over after the fumble TD and as much as I hated that play and thought it was why he wasn't the guy, the fact that he came in the drive after that and drove us down the field to potentially win the game is a reason he may be the guy. 

As much I keep saying - we're a young team and we're making young team mistakes (now Allen included) and we need to continue to improve as a team. 

Agree with the last paragraph. I do think Allen winds up being more consistent with games where he makes plays that keep the team in it.

I also think he’s going to be more consistent with plays that cost the team. 

I liked how we moved the pocket a bit to tire the Giants DL this time around. The bootleg should be a staple of this offense and should have been since the beginning of this season. Offensive line is still hot garbage, but it looked so much better without Martin in the game. Kyle Allen benefitted greatly from going against an 0-5 Giants team for his first full start as a WFTer, and the above factors. On balance, I agree with Rivera that he may be our best option at this time. If our offensive line could consistently hold for 2.5 seconds, I’d probably be banging the drum for Haskins.

I still think its possible that Haskins limited what they wanted to do offensively cause he didnt know it all. But im still finding difficult to square that with they picking him as the starter unless his work ethic dramatically fell off after he got the starting gig. 

This is one of the times where transparency would help alot more than whatever it is they are doing right now. Its hard for any Coach here, cause no one trusts this team. But im not sure how you earn peoples trust without just telling all the business at this point. 

EDIT: I say that to say, I hope Allen allows them to get into a better rhythm and see what this offense has to work with. As im starting to doubt we even have a good plan at this point. This week looked better, but still not super ok at all. 

Archived