Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)

Kyle Allen really does feel like he fits the Case Keenum bill. He looked awesome for a short amount of time, then sucked for the rest of his season until now. He had Case Keenum's career trend in one single season. A good inoffensive but hopefully still competitive backup.

• Like 1

Well at least the QB position is set. I also like the fact that they release Montae. I was hoping he'd be a good story of a young dumb dude making good while also playing for the Redskins vice going somewhere and balling out. But I like that Ron made the decisive move. He's looking for core guys. Montae obviously wasn't one. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Solid move IMO for a 5th round pick. Knows the system and can help Haskins and the rest of the O and gives us a solid backup who can come in with minimal reps if we get an injury.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107323/article/panthers-trade-qb-kyle-allen-to-redskins

Draftnick meltdown in full effect.  

32 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm praying nobody in the NFL even thinks twice about Haskins or Allen.

I don't understand your post. 

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't understand your post. 

If nobody in the NFL is even giving Haskins a 2nd thought, it means they aren't concerning themselves with trying to stop anything he does. I sincerely hope opposing DCs completely underestimate him all season long.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Josh Johnson knew the system too

Wow. That's horrific. They should be giving us a pick to take that scrub off their roster. He's trash. Pure, unadulterated trash, and we lost a relatively early day 3 pick for him? Horrible. What a moronic trade. Just terrible. Yes, a fifth rounder isn't the world, but this is flat out inept, bad process of a piece w/the stupid moves we've been making for years, giving away picks for garbage. There was zero reason to do this. Zero. When in hell are we ever going to use good process in anything? 

7 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I like this trade. It also keeps the 2nd pick mysterious as to whom we will select. Solid signing no leverage lost.

If we do pick at #2 (which is still very very likely) that there is almost no mystery as to who we will pick.

Just now, The Consigliere said:

Wow. That's horrific. They should be giving us a pick to take that scrub off their roster. He's trash. Pure, unadulterated trash, and we lost a relatively early day 3 pick for him? Horrible. What a moronic trade. Just terrible. Yes, a fifth rounder isn't the world, but this is flat out inept, bad process of a piece w/the stupid moves we've been making for years, giving away picks for garbage. There was zero reason to do this. Zero. When in hell are we ever going to use good process in anything? 

Have you considered switching to decaf?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

btw, why in hell is anyone happy with this? There are countless FA options available that cost us no draft picks, none and they are all better than Allen. yet we turn around and throw them a pick like Ron lost at Poker 10 months ago and forgot to cover the losses w/his old GM. This is not a good move period. Allen sucks. He's garbage, we just lost an early 5th for a player that's worthless when there were plenty of options available that would have cost us nothing in picks. It feels like some are so bored w/the lack of activity that they'll celebrate even crap moves just because something happened. Anything. Well, this is garbage, it's not a good thing, and I'm incredibly bummed that we're out of a fifth rounder for a QB that I wouldn't have picked up off the waiver wire, let alone accepted him if they gave us a 7th just to take him off their hands. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

Come on, give them a break...I mean, what did you expect?... This is Rivera's first head coaching job and Kyle Smith's first job with an NFL franchise. Both are wet behind the ears. Give them time. I'm sure once they have like 4-5 years of experience you'll see they understand the in and outs of the NFL and will put more trust into their decisions. 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

This is savvy AF. 

Won't threaten Haskins or the cap, yet young and already knows the system.  

Worth it, I approve, wish I could hi-5, but social distancing and all...

Don't worry.  I got you bro.

Image result for internet high five gif

and agree it's a great signing.  We appear to know what the plan is for Haskins, at least for this upcoming season.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Come on, give them a break...I mean, what did you expect?... This is Rivera's first head coaching job and Kyle Smith's first job with an NFL franchise. Both are wet behind the ears. Give them time. I'm sure once they have like 4-5 years of experience you'll see they understand the in and outs of the NFL and will put more trust into their decisions. 👍

6-10

7-9

12-4

7-8-1

15-1

6-10

11-5

7-9

5-7

While Keim and other national media writers celebrate the professionalism of Rivera, I look at a retread who produced 3 excellent seasons, 2 garbage seasons, and 4 below average seasons in 9 years running the Panthers, not exactly an impressive record which is why I wanted a clever, innovative thinker, rather than an old school product of the 1980's (when Ron was killing it with the Bears). I've tried to warm up to it, and like how he elevated Kyle, and has kept the smoke signals silent, but this is a worst case scenario move for me. Not because of cost, the hit rate on picks in that 140 and beyond zone is not sterling, however, trading away an early 5th for no reason? When you have a team that's garbage and needs every pick it can get to inject young players on rookie deals to keep costs down as we begin the slow rebuild, and we throw away that ammo for nothing? It is just the worst sign possible to me because it's bad processs and flawed thinking. There are countless QB's in the market, countless and of every tier imaginable since FA opened and they cost us nothing other than a contract to sign, we don't have to give away rookie gold (those cheap rookie contracts) for any of them, we just need to throw some money at them and it's a buyers market since so many more were available than usual, and yet, not only do we eschew all those opportunities, but we pay through the nose for a proven scrub. If we can't even get a third for Silverback, or Dunbar, why in hell are we giving away the equivalent of a near late 4th for a QB whose horse ---- at the position? WHY?!?!?!

Yes, small potatoes, fifth rounder, yada yada, but this was just insanely stupid, and thoughtless, and showed a preference for the familiar, even if it's garbage (his old backup QB) than sound judgement and good process, no matter the stakes. 

• Like 3

i liked this move for several reasons ....along with the fit and the player, being solid enough imo, i'm taking it as a cam no thing too

that's a major positive data point that rivera's hand on the rudder remains a steady one---more scripted than improvised :)

i like the counter argument post, feisty and overstated as it may be, by the consigliere too tho 

• Like 7

I remember the Kyle Allen hype, it was real.  He wowed me on a couple plays.  Young and hungry, familiar coach, 5th rounder.  Why not?  He struggled later, but we say that about all young players.  Depending on the fanbase that player might get another chance to prove he can grow.  He will here, from the bench.  And challenge Haskins, another young guy, to work hard.  

"There's FA options that won't cost draft picks".  Who?  Who ya want?  This is a solid approach.  Put a pin in the QB situation for this year, draft Chase, and go from there.  Simple, logical approach.  There's no savior QB on the FA market, so all there is left to argue about is whether or not we should draft Tua.  Doesn't seem that's gonna happen.  We're keeping it simple, giving our 1st round QB his second year to grow, got him a backup with potential, and adding the best pass rusher the draft has seen in years.

If a 5th rounder gets anyone upset, I dunno what to tell you.  It's a 5th rounder.  And it wasn't going to be Tom Brady.  And we have two 4th rounders right?  Who needs the fifth?  

I'd rather pay the 5th for the potential of a young, solid backup (for years by the way, QBs get hurt), than sign a whoever aging guy at QB and spend the 5th on a whoever BPA player at that stage in the draft.  I understand talent can be found late in the draft, but everything weighs out here.  Solid move.

• Like 5