Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)

MartinC

“I was still kind of tripping about that this week,” Allen said. “Then I went to work out on Monday—me, Sam and Josh in our friend’s garage—and I got a call from our GM (Marty Hurney) saying, ‘Thanks for everything you’ve done. We’re trading you to [Washington].’”

Allen’s issues are, of course, different from some others. He just turned 24 and is living the kind of nomadic life (we’ll get back to that in a minute) a lot of guys his age do as they’re starting careers.

On Monday, when Hurney called Kyle Allen, a lot of things ran through his head. He was excited to be reunited with new Washington head coach Ron Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner. He realized he’d have to break the lease he’d signed 13 days earlier in Charlotte. It also hit him that he couldn’t find a place to live in Virginia—because he doesn’t have much clue when he’ll actually be able to go there.

...The plan, before all this, had been to go to Charlotte next week when the lease on the Orange County house he’s renting with Josh Allen expires. That, obviously, is out the window now. He thought about going home to Arizona instead, but that doesn’t work either. Someone at his mom’s work got COVID-19, so she’s in a 14-day quarantine now, and going there would mean entering a new quarantine.

For now, he’ll stay in the seven-person quarantine he’s in. He, Josh Allen and their girlfriends are in the one house; Darnold’s in a house he just bought 15 minutes away; and Darnold’s USC teammate Matt Lopes (who’s now working in the Trojans’ football program) is working with the group too, as is Palmer.

As it is, the quarterbacks wake up every day and, because all the parks and fields around them are shut down, go throw on the beach by Darnold’s house—something Allen sees benefit in, in that it forces you to throw from your core. After that, they go lift, which is also a little complicated. The gym they’d worked out of is closed, so their trainer found a friend with a weight setup in what Allen says is a “40-square-foot garage” that they can use.

After that, they’ll go back to the house, eat lunch, play cards, watch TV, play some more cards and eventually watch movies at night. The biggest problems, really, are losing the chance to work with the rehab guy they’d been using, and fighting boredom.

17 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I doubt they were the only team given his low contract and NFL experience.  Probably the reason it cost a higher pick than everyone thought he was worth

yeah I think the multiple years of control we acquire as part of his contract status makes the price slightly higher. If we can keep him on low money for 3 season a high 5th really isn’t poor value.

It sounds like these coaches trust this guy as a back-up and also think he can improve a lot too.  Haskins needs to count on him too for understanding

the offensive system that Turner uses.  If Haskins starts throwing multiple interceptions in a game I wonder if they will pull him for Allen or give him

a few games to see what he can do before considering Allen.

When we eventually move forward towards a new football season, the relationship between Scott Turner and Kyle Allen is going to very interesting to track. I think our QBs are very much 1a and 1b right now. And I wouldn’t be sure which way around they sit in the order of rank.....

Hogwash..Stupid trade, the Turners love to find someone nobody else saw and try to make them into something so they look like geniuses and they stick with them way to long. Scotts old man did the same thing with Taylor Heinicke, stuck with him way to long!

I want to give Ron the benefit of the doubt but I dont like what he has done so far at all.

🤓
5 hours ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Hogwash..Stupid trade, the Turners love to find someone nobody else saw and try to make them into something so they look like geniuses and they stick with them way to long. Scotts old man did the same thing with Taylor Heinicke, stuck with him way to long!

I want to give Ron the benefit of the doubt but I dont like what he has done so far at all.

What has he done so far that you don't like apart from this trade? 

On 3/28/2020 at 4:07 PM, veteranskinsfan said:

It sounds like these coaches trust this guy as a back-up and also think he can improve a lot too.  Haskins needs to count on him too for understanding

the offensive system that Turner uses.  If Haskins starts throwing multiple interceptions in a game I wonder if they will pull him for Allen or give him

a few games to see what he can do before considering Allen.

I'm not entirely convinced Haskins starts the season as QB1.

Rivera's "We're going into camp believing Haskins is the guy" reads as "We're going into camp hoping that Haskins can maybe, possibly, be the guy but we have another guy that we think can be the guy and we really aren't sure of anything".

I think Allen is a good get....perfect guy to backup DH and to put a little bit of pressure on him. I have a feeling that Allen is gonna get us a high draft pick in a trade someday if DH works out. One thing I like about the trade, Allen has already started a lot of games and won a few, the game won't be too big for him and the team should feel good about that should he need to play.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28978391/kyle-allen-sam-darnold-josh-allen-benefit-joint-workouts

The Allen combination might have to move in with Darnold, as their lease expires this week. They did not plan to stay longer than April, as teams -- in a normal year -- would have resumed workouts by then. Kyle Allen told SI.com that he doesn't want to return home to Arizona because one of his mother's coworkers tested positive for COVID-19, and his mother is now in the midst of a 14-day quarantine.

However, Allen said the quarterbacks can benefit from this time together, though of course, they didn't need a quarantine for that to happen.

"That's why we like to train with each other," Allen said on the conference call. "We talk to each other about our experiences. We have film nights at our houses and are breaking down film and talking through different things. We're having really good conversations."

Kyle Allen learned of his trade to Washington from Carolina while holed up in California -- and about a week after, he briefly returned to Carolina to sign a one-year extension. For Allen, the trade means a reunion with coach Ron Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner. Allen started 12 games for the Panthers last season.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread so the Haskins one doesn't get too derailed with Allen specific talk.

Watching highlights of his games last year and I really like how he seems to sense pressure rather quickly and moves well all while keeping his eyes downfield.  Having him know the offense, I believe will keep the defenses a little more honest which should help out the Oline and run game.

Archived