Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)

MartinC

I think there’s going to be some people really high on Haskins that are really frustrated once this is an actual competition.

I can’t imagine the reaction if Allen beats him out. I don’t see it happening... but stranger things have happened.

Based upon where we picked Haskins in the draft last year this is a solid move.  He gets his opportunity.  Now what he does with it who knows?  If Kyle Allen is Haskins "competition" it seems fair.  Didn't Rivera say he wants competition at every position?  

It seems to me Rivera is actually giving both of these guys an opportunity to prove they deserve to be starters in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think there’s going to be some people really high on Haskins that are really frustrated once this is an actual competition.

I can’t imagine the reaction if Allen beats him out. I don’t see it happening... but stranger things have happened.

Agree. 

I've argued with some people in the FA thread who have made arguments I disagree with mainly:

A.  A 5th rounder is a good trade for us to land a backup.  That's not too much to give up.

B.  We would have taken a QB in the 5th anyway in this draft so how would you feel then?

I don't think a 5th rounder is a good value for a backup QB personally, especially the 2nd pick in the 5th round in this specific loaded and deeper than usual draft.  And I think no way they planned to otherwise use that pick on a QB in this draft.  We've heard to death they wanted a veteran to backup Haskins -- now all of a sudden they'd go for someone even less experienced than Haskins?  Makes no sense to me.   Also I don't believe they were dismissive of the value of a 5th rounder.    Kyle has been nailing that round pretty good and this is his highest pick he has had in that round.   Kyle lit up in his press conference about how good this draft is. 

But here is what makes sense to me.   I don't think Rivera is dumb and I'd add he's very honest.  And i just don't buy he'd trade a 5th for a dude that just knows his system but is no threat to Haskins' job.   Rivera said in the past he wants to bring Haskins "very competitive, competition" so I'll take him at his word and believe this is how they see Kyle Allen.  I see some on twitter say that he's the perfect guy to have as backup because he can teach Haskins while being no threat to his job so this is a big win for Haskins.  But the more I thought about it, I don't think that's likely true as to the no threat part.  If I had to come up with a rationale for this trade it would be this dude is a legitimate threat to start. 

Kyle Allen supposedly knows their playbook backwards and forwards and I just heard a segment where Rivera (in Carolina) hyped up Kyle Allen's maturity.  He supposedly has intangibles through the roof.  He has some traits that it seems that some are hoping Haskins evolves towards.  So yeah I think this might end up more of a serious competition as some expect.  And if I looked at it from that angle, I like this trade a bit more.  No one can sell me on the backup angle for a 5th is well done.  But if this is legitimately a dude who can be a bonafide starter in the league then a 5th is fine as to compensation.  And I believe Brooks that the thinking there is he's starter caliber.  

I'd guess Haskins wins the job but my feeling is it will be no walk in the park and we will hear this summer about a real competition for the spot. 

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

It's not crazy to think a guy who is familiar with the offense could come in and beat out a guy who isn't really familiar with anything.

Agreed completely. Posting on my phone so not quoting @Skinsinparadise, but agreed. 

I think Allen’s role is to come in and compete to be the starter. From a schematic standpoint, Allen fits the offense that Turner ran at the end of the season a bit better than Haskins. Haskins is more of a physical threat than Allen, though, and the offense could be amended fairly easily for Haskins I think.

Allen knowing the playbook is a big benefit to him possibly beating out Haskins. 

I have a feeling they gave up a fifth for public perception a little bit, too. If they traded for or signed a free agent Cam Newton they’d be crucified. If they trade a fifth for a guy who people think is a backup QB most people will react more friendly (for example, see the FA thread. There’s a lot of people on board with the move. I’m willing to bet if we signed or traded for Cam the reaction would be a lot different).

So they went with a guy who people think isn’t a threat, and possibly won’t be, but they know can actually beat Haskins out (even if Haskins is physically better, Allen knows the system and that gives him a chance). 

I don’t think they (or I) think he beats Haskins. But if he does... 

Theres going to be a lot of anger around here. 

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

and then Theismann revokes his decision on the #7 jersey with Haskins and anoints Allen the future by bestowing him that jersey instead.

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm frustrated NOW.

The fact that Ron (according to various outlets) views Allen as a legitimate starter.....😣

Personally, I don't think this is how you should handle a young QB (Haskins).

If you're not willing to commit to him (for whatever reason) then just move him and be done with it.

1 minute ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'm frustrated NOW.

The fact that Ron (according to various outlets) views Allen as a legitimate starter.....😣

If you're not willing to commit to him (for whatever reason) then just move him and be done with it.

I think this is better for Haskins than, say, bringing in Cam Newton. Or Rivers. Or... who knows.

I don't think Allen beats him out... unless the whole offseason is wiped out due to this virus, then Allen may be the starting quarterback when things get rolling simply due to familiarity. 

But he could.

I don't think there's a snow ball's chance in hell of Haskins beating out Cam or Rivers (obviously Rivers is in Indy, just using him because of the rumors), even if its completely about the cost of those players versus Haskins. If you bring in those guys, they're starting. 

The problem we have is that pretty much anyone outside of a late round rookie would be a threat to Haskins in some form, simply due to his curve last year. I think Haskins beats out most of the fringe starter types that come in, but Allen is a different threat simply due to familiarity.

Again, I think Haskins wins out if he has the chance to learn the playbook. But you never know. 

And if people are nervous about people beating out Haskins, I'm not sure people are as high on Haskins as they say they are.

I am lower on Haskins, but I see his potential. I think he has a lot of upside but has to get over some humps. His upside is far greater than Allen's. But I think his floor is lower. And that's the fear... I think. 

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'm frustrated NOW.

What’s wrong with having a QB who knows the system a little better push him? Haskins has a lot to prove, not just to this staff, but in-general.

3 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

What’s wrong with having a QB who knows the system a little better push him? Haskins has a lot to prove, not just to this staff, but in-general.

Most young QBs with a small sample size have a lot to prove.

Generally, you are afforded the opportunity to be "the guy" and prove yourself on the field....not compete for the position.

Seems to me Rivera is looking for someone (Not named Haskins) to take the job.

And as I said before, that's fine.

I just think its kinda weak the way he's handling this.

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Most young QBs with a small sample size have a lot to prove.

Generally, you are afforded the opportunity to be "the guy" and prove yourself on the field....not compete for the position.

That's not opportunity, that's entitlement. What has Haskins done to earn any of that? Handling adversity, for someone who already seems a bit emotionally immature, is also proving yourself. I don't care how many workout warrior videos you post in social media, when it comes down to it you have to prove you can mentally and emotionally handle your deal.

If Allen is really a JAG, then it'll show. If Haskins crumbles, then that's on him and no one else. I'm tired of reading stuff like "The coach ruined player x, y and z" when the reality might just be these guys couldn't hack it.

I think a 5th for a guy like Allen who has some experience in your system but is still fairly young is fine. Remember the Panthers were at one point something like 5-3 last year with Allen as the starter.

If someone like Allen threatens Haskins at all, then he was never gonna be any good. Look at some of the GOAT caliber QBs in the league when their teams brought in other QBs. Didn't phase them one bit(Brady with Garapollo, Brees with Bridgewater, etc.).

Allen started 15 games and if you look at the numbers they fall right in line with what you would want or expect to see from a rookie in his first year, of course, fewer int's would be nice and he had 13 fumbles.

46 sacks is a lot of hits taken, wonder if that was more about Allen or the O line.

1885019415_Annotation2020-03-24094200.thumb.png.d073bcbaa115205a7480b7326a8f2818.png

Allen played worse as the season progressed vs Haskins playing better as the season progressed. 

This fan base is trash. We devalue our own while putting other teams players on a pedestal. 

We invested a high pick on a player everyone regarded as raw...how bout we give the guy a full season to see what he can do. 

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

That's not opportunity, that's entitlement. What has Haskins done to earn any of that? Handling adversity, for someone who already seems a bit emotionally immature, is also proving yourself. I don't care how many workout warrior videos you post in social media, when it comes down to it you have to prove you can mentally and emotionally handle your deal.

If Allen is really a JAG, then it'll show. If Haskins crumbles, then that's on him and no one else. I'm tired of reading stuff like "The coach ruined player x, y and z" when the reality might just be these guys couldn't hack it.

What has any young QB actually earned?

That's my point.

I think Haskins should be given the opportunity to prove it...and I'm not convinced he'll be afforded that opportunity.

I would like to see him treated the same way most other highly drafted QBs are treated:

Show faith and confidence in him, put weapons around him and then if he fails its on him.

I don't know if thats "entitlement" but if it is then fine. 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

What has any young QB actually proven?

That's my point.

I think Haskins should be given the opportunity to prove it...and I'm not convinced he'll be afforded that opportunity.

I would like to see him treated the same way most other highly drafted QBs are treated:

Show faith and confidence in him, put weapons around and then if he fails its on him.

I don't know if thats "entitlement" but if it is then fine. 

If Allen is a JAG, it’ll be obvious. If Haskins shrinks, it’ll be obvious. If Haskins kills it, same. That’s all the opportunity anyone is given.  You can do all those other things and still bring in someone else. Bottom line was they had to, anyway.  Easier to have someone familiar with the system. You can’t depend on Smith, who I don’t think will physically even be able to do it.

25 minutes ago, The Sean and Laron show said:

This fan base is trash.

i'm thinking more along the lines that your post is sort of trashy, but no big

the fan base is made up of a bunch humans, so you get what you get when you're dealing with a bunch of humans

600.gif

maybe you need to start hanging out with a different group of people :)

I don't really know why anyone would not at least be neutral, if not positive on this move.  I personally only see positives in this. About the only negative is Allen is a young QB himself, and maybe Haskins would benefit from a more seasoned backup around. But maybe that's mitigated by how much he's in Alex Smith's ear about quarterbacking.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

And if people are nervous about people beating out Haskins, I'm not sure people are as high on Haskins as they say they are.

Or, it could be PTSD from Jay Gruden decisions lol...Quinn over Sims, Jr...making AP inactive...Colt McCoy over anyone...etc, etc. The idea being, what if Rivera's decisions are not based on long-term thinking but rather on familiarity.

A lot of fans wanted Haskins to start day-one last year, not because he was better than Keenum or Colt but because they felt the best way to develop Haskins was to get him as much experience as possible, as soon as possible. That same mindset could exist now, with the belief that Haskins' upside is far greater than Allen's upside so let's see if we can bring that potential to the surface through true player development, numerous reps, and game experience. The thinking would go, starting Allen should only occur if Haskins completely ****s the bed day in and day out while Allen looks consistently phenomenal, because that would mean Allen is showing himself to be a legitimate franchise QB candidate and not merely better for the time being.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

A lot of fans wanted Haskins to start day-one last year, not because he was better than Keenum or Colt but because they felt the best way to develop Haskins was to get him as much experience as possible, as soon as possible. That same mindset could exist now, with the belief that Haskins' upside is far greater than Allen's upside so let's see if we can bring that potential to the surface through true player development, numerous reps, and game experience. The thinking would go, starting Allen should only occur if Haskins completely ****s

Absolutely. Lots of angles and ways this can go. At the very least it will be entertaining.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Interesting where my post got cut off in your post lol...

I did that. On my phone and erasing large blocks of text is a chore. So leaving it as Haskins ****s was fun for me. :ols:

Meanwhile Cam is out on the streets. Cam must really be in the dog house with teams around the league. Its that or his injury status is still uncertain. I think the Panthers releasing him is wild but they were caught within a rock and hard place. Bridgewater would have been gone by the time they sorted out Cam's situation. The only team left for Cam is the Chargers and the Bears. One of them gets to gain a starting QB off the streets. Damn.

2 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Meanwhile Cam is out on the streets. Cam must really be in the dog house with teams around the league. Its that or his injury status is still uncertain. I think the Panthers releasing him is wild but they were caught within a rock and hard place. Bridgewater would have been gone by the time they sorted out Cam's situation. The only team left for Cam is the Chargers and the Bears. One of them gets to gain a starting QB off the streets. Damn.

Bears traded for Foles.

Archived