Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)

The other way to look at it is that Haskins has not looked better than Allen. Haskins started 4 games this season, Allen and Smith each played a half. I didn't notice any drop off by with UDFA or by the guy who played his first half in 2 years under a system that he's only practiced in. I think Smith can look better given time to really work with the offense, but in a 1-4 season with a clear need to get a new QB, Smith just isn't likely to get that time. Allen doesn't have an attitude and he can also earn himself a long-term backup job if he doesn't screw up. This is Allen's job to lose.

• Like 2

I thought Allen looked fine in the time he was in.  Not great, not terrible, got them in the endzone.  I think it ultimately would have been a tough day for any of them.  Having somebody with the ability to extend the play was refreshing.  This offense needs that, if there's gonna be any plays made downfield to anybody not named Mclaurin.  That's at least one thing Allen brings to the table.

• Like 1

I can see the fit of Allen in what Turner likes to do in the offense and feel some good days are ahead for Allen and the offense to gain some confidence, especially with considering the upcoming schedule.

He seems to have do well with arm angles, using legs to get to spots/advantageous windows, and timing as it relates to the screen game and short routes— this can prove to be a real extension of the run game. Allen’s arm talent will require Turner and him being in sync with taking shots downfield to keep the defense honest throughout a game. 

It’s strange though, he does seem to really struggle with exploiting the A and B gaps when looking to run, so he will almost always be in a position of needing to capture the edge to gain yards running, which we saw is dangerous and difficult. What I’ve watched of his highlights and rushing stats somewhat support this as well. He averaged just over 3 yards per carry last year on 30 or so attempts. Strange, you’d think a guy with his wheels would be better in that department. 

Slightly encouraged and looking forward to seeing more. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Part of it is perception. Part of it is the legs. 

Allen looked similar to Haskins as a passer, to be honest. A little off accuracy wise. Slower release. Better mobility.

The mobility component is the big thing for me in the NFL. The touchdown run showed that he has some serious speed. That is something that can buy you a lot of development time in the NFL. So, I like Allen. I want our next QB to be fairly mobile. If we go with a pocket passer, the team has to focus completely on the offensive line. Not just a few upgrades, but almost an entire new set up.

But that was kind of a tangent: To answer your question: I don't think it was necessarily better than Haskins as a thrower, it was the fact that he can use his legs to bail the team out that made the optics better. Here's the problem with Allen... and we saw it TWICE in the game... He has no desire to slide.

For me, to say the offense looked better I take into account the entire offense. Was there less confusion in terms of where everyone should line up, did they get to the line with plenty of room to spare or where they always about to be penalized for delay of game, were there less 3-and-outs, did the OLine seem to do better due to protections called, was the pace of the offense improved, did the QB run into sacks or take unnecessary ones, were the WRs hit in stride more often for better YAC, etc, etc, yadda yadda...If the case is being made that Allen looked "a bit better" as a QB than Haskins, yeah, I could see that perspective (for the reasons you mentioned among a few others).

3 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Well, the touchdown for example. No way Haskins makes that.

Yeah, there's no question that Allen is noticeably more mobile than Haskins. That could help the offense more, although it really didn't help it much yesterday, It gave a TD then gave an injury (like KDawg was saying, dude needs to learn how to protect himself so he can live to play another series).

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Allen wasn't perfect, but it was his first half of real football in a while.  He had no preseason, and no reps with starters.  If we are using those excuses on Haskins play, than we can use them on Allens.  Let's give Allen a few more games and then compare the two.  

According to Rivera, Haskins got 11 weeks.  This means Allen gets the rest of the season if he's healthy.  

• Like 1

Let's face it, now is Allen's opportunity to size the job. For once, I'd like to see a QB good enough to rise to the occasion, rather than just have enough mediocracy for people to run out the excuses for why it's not "their fault". And I'm not saying it is, but in order to be one of the 15 best in the world, you have to be able to thrive under pressure. Anyone else is a waste of time.

• Like 2

Kyle Allen is my new Trent Green (and Haskins is Gus). So lets hope that he can impress coaches like Green did. I have no negative thoughts on Haskins and his potential (I still loved Gus back then), but its clear as day (especially with recent events) that Haskins is not in the options. I really hope that this is more of a Trent Green story than a Ramsey / Danny / Shane story or a McNabb / Rex / Beck story. 

• Like 1

The disinterest here in the starting QB is remarkable. No posts in ten hours and two in the last 20.

So I would just like to type a few words into the cavernous silence to wish Mr. Allen success. And who knows, maybe next week he will knock over a convenience store and the thread will pick up a bit.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Kyle Allen is my new Trent Green (and Haskins is Gus). So lets hope that he can impress coaches like Green did. 

If he achieves 20% of Green's level of play we win the Division.

He was really good until fate intervened and delivered Kurt Warner.

Probably one of the least appreciated QBs of the last 20 years.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:25 PM, Peregrine said:

Let's face it, now is Allen's opportunity to size the job. For once, I'd like to see a QB good enough to rise to the occasion, rather than just have enough mediocracy for people to run out the excuses for why it's not "their fault". And I'm not saying it is, but in order to be one of the 15 best in the world, you have to be able to thrive under pressure. Anyone else is a waste of time.

We need him to turn into Gus Frerotte....take the job and run with it for awhile. 

On 10/14/2020 at 8:12 PM, Spearfeather said:

I'm just saying; if that's what Rivera said, that's what he means by 11.

Naw he was talking about evaluating him in camp prior to the season. I’m pretty sure. Now you make me question it. But he was talking about doing things and growth at camp in the same answer I think so that’s what I think is the case. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Naw he was talking about evaluating him in camp prior to the season. I’m pretty sure. Now you make me question it. But he was talking about doing things and growth at camp in the same answer I think so that’s what I think is the case. 

Yeah, I didn't see the actual quote or the context, and that was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe he was talking about growth from last year? I don't know. If he said " weeks " instead of " games. ", you're probably right.

I’m going to go out on a weird limb and say Allen will assist the Turner offense in being dynamic (Yes, I said, dynamic) in the short game in form of 6-10 screens, RB swings, RB option routes, check downs, and run for 20-30 yards and 2 first downs. This appears to be viewed as an extension of the run game in Turners eyes and why he sticks with it. The huge mountain to overcome is Turner and Allen being in sync with down the field throws and doing so consistently throughout the game to get defenses to loosen up. 

Prediction:

12 catches by RBs

10 catches by Wrs

5 catches by TEs

Kyle Allen

27-40 

270 yards

3 Tds

27 rush yards 

• Like 1