Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

Finished my little shelf project for my arcade game.  I made a huge ****up though as it wouldn't fit into my cabinet.  Previously, I had only tested it out with the bottom flat board, and I had to turn it sideways to get it inside, but then I had to lay it flat inside and had no issues.  Well the 4" high pieces on each side of the shelf made it so I couldn't get it to turn.

So I went to the backyard with my hand saw and went to town to cut a few inches off the end.

yQjSZnM.jpg

And after that, it fit down in my cabinet and looks like it will work out perfectly.

I09eXfE.jpg

0v0DQbo.jpg

This whole "not working" thing isn't so bad.  The "no money" part of it is gonna suck though.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i'm just a little shy of 66 so over the line but just barely in that risk, but have been hospitalized in my life for pneumonia two decades apart and had several serious respiratory/pulmonary issues over time and often get flu/cold symptoms in a normal season...yay added  suspense 

i don't like the die-by-disease in a hospital or bedroom delaio cuz if it was to be a disease i always wanted it to be  one where a doc tells you how long you have to live approx. and then you can use the remaining time to go take out a nest of militia-men or ms-13'ers or some crankster biker gang as a social service on your way out

You and I are kindred spirits

Hey all, so my brother has a band in Nashville, TN, and with all the bars on lower Broadway shut down for the foreseeable future, they’re not able to do gigs. They’re doing a livestream tomorrow night 8-10 PM (central time) which is 9-11 PM east coast time. Presumably on their FB page. If you’re looking for something to do, definitely tune in. Follow them on FB, Ben Donovan and the Congregation!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

@Jumbo stay safe buddy. I’m aware of the call to action within the medical community because if my wife. Appreciate your appeal to duty. You’re in my thoughts. Good luck!

tbf they have pics of me from unscheduled demonstrations at certain conferences that are very persuasive in prompting my participation

but the last two weeks and from here on in i am very socially isolated doing stuff online from home and coordinating with the few 3D neighbors i have, a couple whom this last year have had several surgeries and  one is over 65, and the other neighbor---a longtime pal---is almost 70 and lives alone

now i have been living a fairy socially-isolated life by choice this last 18 months anyway (and mostly enjoying it)  but this is diff of course, including not being of voluntary nature (big problem)

Yeah, local news right now here is showing people everywhere. 🙄 There's been more traffic outside today, and Friday/Saturday nights are usually the noisiest. Last night was quiet AF. 

420 cases in GA, 13 deaths. Charter plane stuck on the tarmac at the airport. Awful **** going on. 😢

In other news, I got my Census notice in the mailbox. I went online as instructed and did one of my citizen duties. 

One of the questions asks about race, then in a box below the selection, they want to know origin. Since my last name is Swiss, I put that down, but the form didn't seem to like that. Too bad, I didn't change it.  A while ago, I found out that I am Swiss on both sides, one from the early 1700s and the other from about 1880.

• Like 4

The wife and I have been discussing this today so I thought I'd ask here. Do people seem to be taking this seriously? Even the awkwardly named "social distancing" seems to me to be a relatively low bar exercise, but around here the vast majority just seem blithely indifferent. I have a neighbor across the street who is off work, so she's watching all her friends kids, moms and kids trooping in and out all day long, then she is across the street yakkin with the neighbors who have people in n out too. 

Feels like a lot of people are like "I'm not sick so who cares? It isn't real", until of course they DO become sick and they've been spreading it for a couple weeks, etc. I have a tight group of people I talk with in RL, all of them are just doing the basic things to avoid the plague, but we seem to be in a tiny minority. What's going on elsewhere?

Crisis Services has seen a rise in domestic violence calls since home quarantines started due to COVID-19

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - When people are quarantined and working for the home like many of us are, social interaction is limited and there’s not always places to go. Experts are reminding those people that they’re only a call away.

Sexual Assault Educator for Crisis Services of North Alabama, Adde Waggoner said since the COVID-19 outbreak, over the past week and a half they’ve seen a spike in calls to their helpline.

“In times of crisis, when anxiety and uncertainty are high, we see an increase of domestic violence, sexual violence, and child abuse,” said Waggoner.

Experts are stressing that their services are still available, and they always want people in need to contact them.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

I hope you guys like my arcade project because I'm logging it on another forum and it's what I'm doing during the quarantine, so if you all want me to stop, I will lol.

Just made a lot of progress with mounting everything that I have so far.

Here is the switcher, aux relay board, and Maximum Force / Area 51 duo board.  This is going to be on the top part (as shown later).  Notice the one screw I drilled through the wooden board that is sticking up, so that I can hook up all the common terminals to it.  You can see that later on in another pic as well.

hGTyX1Z.jpg

Here is Police Trainer mounted.  Also note that I have all of the switcher interface boards mounted already on all 3 JAMMA boards.

f7jnwIx.jpg

And here is Carnevil.  This game is much larger than Police Trainer.

sBizVuA.jpg

Here are the games mounted down inside on their boards.

13irHTV.jpg

And here is the main board put on top.  I kind of hooked up most of the wires just to see how it would look when it's all hooked up.  Note the connectors all connected to that screw I talked about up above.  I also don't have the power supply installed right now which would be over on the right there.  If you look in the gap under the main board before you see the back of the cabinet, you can see the other two boards hidden down there too.  Also if you see that random single yellow wire hanging out the back of the cabinet, I spliced into the SYNC wire coming from the monitor because the Carnevil board needs it hooked up, so that will be wired up to the Carnevil board.

j414RjZ.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to start some of the wiring.  My plan is to just get Maximum Force working first and then once that works, I'll just have to make harnesses for the guns for each of the other boards, which shouldn't be tough.  All of the main plumbing will be in place by that point.

• Like 6

I posted some really upsetting stuff last week and I wanted to give you guys an update on how things are going. 

One week ago today, I had a mental breakdown and couldn't see a path forward for myself. I really thought about killing myself and lost it for about an hour. I wasn't sleeping and the anxiety surrounding the virus, along with being rejected for a promising job, was just too much to handle.

After calling the suicide hotline, I reached out to everyone in my circle — family, friends and they all told me they loved me, that they weren't disappointed in me for anything and to take it one day at a time. I also got some great responses from this board. I got a little sleep that night, reached out to my wife who I had been fighting with and re-evaluated what was important to me.

This week, it really dawned on me that my life was going to change, so I made a point to make my situation a little more comfortable. I bought a humidifier to help with dry throats and nosebleeds, a bottle of CBD oil to help me stay calm, and of course Animal Crossing. I made a Todoist list of things that I need to get done both practically and creatively every day that would erase 6 hours of boredom. I also chose to start calling friends more often to check up on them and let them vent. 

At the beginning of this week, my wife survived a rash of layoffs at her job. It was scary for her and brought on a lot of guilt, but starting Monday she will be able to work from home, which is something I've been hoping would happen for weeks. The government check of likely $2900 (joint filing + one child) that we will be receiving will help to offset the lack of substitute teaching work I would be doing if not for the lockdown. Best of all, her company is still aggressively looking for projects and an old boss of hers may also have work for her. Thank God, seriously. There's still so long to go but at least April should be OK. In the meanwhile, I'm searching everywhere for online teaching jobs. 

All told, it's been a crazy couple of weeks, but I'm still here for my wife and daughter and have a lot of projects I want to start while we're being locked down in LA. ES and this thread in particular has been a big help and a good start on a road to better mental health. More consistent sleep, a structured schedule, meditation and simply learning to adjust to a new situation will all pay dividends during this social pause. I grew up in Cumberland and had barely any friends, so I have more experience with boredom and social isolation than most. But it does still take a little getting used to at this extreme level. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 14