Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

10 hours ago, purbeast said:

Finished The Mandalorian tonight.  I thought it was a really good show.  I'm not a Star Wars mark or anything and don't think they are anything special, but I found the show enjoyable.

It’s a highly enjoyable space western.  It reminds me of Firefly (show, which was canceled too soon) and its movie Serenity (2005).  

• Like 3

A friend of mine is married to a guy that grew up in PA and his parents live in the middle of Amish land.  Her father in law speaks PA Dutch and spoke to an Amish guy who had absolutely no idea what's going on.  Apparently the guy was like "We've been 'social distancing' for over 300 years" :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, purbeast said:

Finished The Mandalorian tonight.  I thought it was a really good show.  I'm not a Star Wars mark or anything and don't think they are anything special, but I found the show enjoyable.

subbed to disney+ yesterday. ain't seen it yet

just binge watching nfl games now that nfl game pass is free until july 31

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:

It’s a highly enjoyable space western.  It reminds me of Firefly (show, which was canceled too soon) and its movie Serenity (2005).  

Yeah, "Space Western" is a good description. Dont get many of those (there are space sub-genres of every category nearly). I loved it. Had sort of a sci-fi "Man With No Name" vibe to it.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

In case anyone is wondering, my wife's Giant Peapod order arrived this morning as scheduled.  None of the bread we ordered came through.  However, all of the other stuff (i.e. fruits and vegetables, cooking spices/ingredients, ground beef, etc.) did come as ordered.  We didn't order any of the things that are in high demand like toilet paper, hand wipes, hand sanitizer.

So basically we got what we asked for.  Next peapod deliver time slot is 11 days (march 30).  I also received my gallon jug of hand sanitizer that I ordered off of amazon.com about 10 days ago.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

In case anyone is wondering, my wife's Giant Peapod order arrived this morning as scheduled.  None of the bread we ordered came through.  However, all of the other stuff (i.e. fruits and vegetables, cooking spices/ingredients, ground beef, etc.) did come as ordered.  We didn't order any of the things that are in high demand like toilet paper, hand wipes, hand sanitizer.

So basically we got what we asked for.  Next peapod deliver time slot is 11 days (march 30).  I also received my gallon jug of hand sanitizer that I ordered off of amazon.com about 10 days ago.

hmm. once supplies start to dwindle i might consider. right now the only thing i need to do is take out the trash

Tonight is the first day of Spring which is also Persian New Year or Nowrooz. I didn’t do much this year getting traditional pastries and items from the Persian market because of the quarantine. I did put in an order from Omaha steaks and a Maine lobster delivery service. That might be my new tradition in my house starting this year. Surf and turf for Persian new year.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/03/18/these-great-dc-delivery-options-are-now-even-better-with-alcohol/

These Great DC Delivery Options Are Now Even Better With Alcohol

The DC Council passed an emergency relief bill yesterday designed to help those struggling from the coronavirus crisis. One welcome provision for bars and restaurants: they can now sell alcohol for pickup and delivery, from bottles of wine to pre-batched ****tails.

Many restaurants are adding the drinks as an amenity to their pickup and delivery food menus. You’ll also plenty of “discounts” on wines and beers to match regular retail prices. Alcohol options are currently available on most delivery sites; Caviar is expected to add the option soon. Looking for more delivery ideas? Check out what some of our favorite restaurants are doing.

The article then includes a list of restaurants that will deliver booze.  Of those listed, in my expert opinion, I'd go with 2 Amys (Pizza), Happy Gyro (never had it, but it's by the team at Komi, which is a top 5 restaurant in DC), and Seven Reasons (probably the best restaurant to open in the past year).

Just met the Target equivalent of that waiter dude from Office Space, the guy with the flair.  I've not wanted to smack anyone in awhile like I wanted to smack this dude.

So my girlfriend picks me up and we go to Target, she made an online order for pickup.  She's on crutches as she has a broken leg and insisted on going instead of having me pick it up for her, she wanted to get out of her house.  And since I love her, I didn't want her to go alone and fumble around with all the stuff she ordered.  

We get in there and we got to the front where you pick up your online orders and while the girl behind the counter is pulling up the order I mentioned that I wanted to go look for Clorox wipes.  The girl overheard me and said "Oh, we have some in that shopping cart over there behind the checkout lines."  Awesome, didn't have to go far, got two bottles of Clorox wipes.

So this doucherocket who's like the lead Target guy (he's got a walkie talkie prominently displayed, it's his Target version of flair) walks up and sees us standing there, not only is this the counter where you pick up online orders but it's where you make returns and can also purchase like 5 items or less.  And he goes, "Hey, alright!  Bringing back some Clorox wipes?"  I can't tell if he's being serious or sarcastic, but it's a good thing he was out of arms reach.  I almost beamed one at him but figured that wouldn't be very nice.  And then he continued to make jokes and sarcastic remarks that just...grate on all nerves I have left.

21 hours ago, Destino said:

Day 2 of homeschooling a 1st grader.  

Tshile in the virus thread talked about how rules may need to change to cope with the crisis that coronavirus presents to the 'healthcare system'.

I was wondering if changes are also impacting our new 'educational system'. For example:

(1) corporal punishment, i.e. spanking, is now back

(2) teachers are allowed, even encouraged, to drink alcohol and swear at their students

(3) students not suspended for fighting with their 'classmates'.

What changes have you seen?

• Haha 2

LOL @ that line.  I went to Safeway yesterday to get shampoo and sponges, and checked out the meat department and they had steaks, pork, and chicken was back in stock.  So I ended up getting some chicken quarters since we have none.  Then I walked right up to the self checkout line and no one was in line so I was out within like 5 minutes total.

My wife just went to her anatomy sonogram for our baby, and it sucks that I could not go with her.  They don't want any non-essential people coming, although it sounded like I could have gone, but they said absolutely no kids and we wouldn't have anyone to watch our son.  So we're at home now and hopefully she can facetime us.  If not, she's going to try and get a video of it or at worst, some pics. 

This is the only sonogram that I will have ever missed :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

Tshile in the virus thread talked about how rules may need to change to cope with the crisis that coronavirus presents to the 'healthcare system'.

I was wondering if changes are also impacting our new 'educational system'. For example:

(1) corporal punishment, i.e. spanking, is now back

(2) teachers are allowed, even encouraged, to drink alcohol and swear at their students

(3) students not suspended for fighting with their 'classmates'.

What changes have you seen?

1- Gym/physical activity is no longer a scheduled event, but is instead a recourse to be used when attention begins to slip or you sense that crying is imminent.  Today for example I decided we’d do reading after math.  This was apparently wrong, terribly so, and it resulted in an emotional meltdown.  So, gym instead. 

2- A nutritious lunch is now defined as whatever non sugary food you can get the child to actually eat.  

3- Nap time is returning to 1st grade.  For teachers.  Related: jumping on a teacher that is napping is strictly prohibited.  Especially if done so while giggling.  

4- Students will be given a negative grade for describing events that took place during the school day in an unnecessarily negative manner.  For example “Mom, did you know dad yelled at a kid on the playground?  Because he totally did!”  

3- Happy hour now begins at 3pm.

• Haha 5