Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

43 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

It is worth pointing out that only about 17% of the US population got the swine flu (59 million out of about 330 million people).

Is this thing more contagious than the swine flu are or Americans that much more susceptible to it?

(I'm doubtful of either.)

If 59 million people in the US get the coronavirus and the CFR is 2% then more than 1 million people will die.  Seems like a lot to me.

• Like 2

If this blows up into a full blown pandemic in the U.S.; it will all be Trump's fault.

He only cares how it affects his reelection.   Presidents are judged during times of crisis.  That's what people will remember. Trump is failing at that.  No, his crazy Trumpsters don't care, unless it's starts to kill them off.  Then they might care.  Everyone else seees how incompetent he is and how souless he is.   He doesn't care one bit about the human toll.   Hell, if Melania got the virus; he would probably divorce her on the spot.

I don't want wish ill but I just don't care what happens to Trumpsters.  They will deserve it, if it comes to them.  It's sad, but the coming recession from this virus maybe what we need to give us the edge to defeat Trump.   

• Like 2

Yeah, apparently swine flu had a mortality rate of just 0.02%.  The very best case we're seeing right now is South Korea with 0.5%, which may be a function of their super aggressive testing just catching more cases, combined with the possibility that it may still be too early for the recent diagnosis to play out to their final outcome.  

17 minutes ago, China said:

If 59 million people in the US get the coronavirus and the CFR is 2% then more than 1 million people will die.  Seems like a lot to me.

I don't disagree, but we've also got a twitter thread posted where somebody is talking 20-70% of the population getting the coronoavirus and what that would mean.

While 59 million and more than 1 million dead is a lot of people is still a lot, it is also useful to put the 20-70% numbers in some historical context of other pandemics (and then the effects suggested based on those numbers).

Edited by PeterMP

It's been 102 years since the 1918 influenza outbreak that killed many worldwide. Since climate change is a real thing, expect to see old viruses and bacteria released from their frozen vaults as frozen land and sea masses melt, and we don't have any built up immunity to them. Being rich won't help the wealthy from being struck down by them along with everyone else. This coronavirus is just the beginning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

There was a slide floating around the internet supposedly from a presentation at the American Hospital Association. If it's real, it's terrifying.

One slide in a leaked presentation for US hospitals reveals that they're preparing for millions of hospitalizations as the outbreak unfolds

Hospitals are bracing for millions of Americans to be hospitalized as part of the novel coronavirus outbreak. 

The American Hospital Association, which represents thousands of hospitals and health systems, hosted a webinar in February with its member hospitals and health systems. Business Insider obtained a copy of the slides presented. 

The presentation, titled "What healthcare leaders need to know: Preparing for the COVID-19" happened February 26, with representatives from the National Ebola Training and Education Center. 

As part of the presentation to hospitals, Dr. James Lawler, a professor at the University of Nebraska Medical Center gave his "best guess" estimates of how much the virus might spread in the US.

Lawler's estimates include:

-4.8 million hospitalizations associated with the novel coronavirus
-96 million cases overall in the US
-480,000 deaths
-Overall, the slide points out that hospitals should prepare for an impact to the system that's 10 times a severe flu season. 

Here's the slide: 

5e62a449fee23d58c83a9e62?width=700&forma

Click on the link for more

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna take the over on the CFR being 0.5% and the under on 96 million Americans catching the virus by May 7th. 

Then again, the article says no time frame is specified, so maybe I'm reading it wrong? I could buy 96 million Americans getting sick over the lifespan of the virus, however long that may be. 

Edited by Bacon

28 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

My wife is going to the game....

going to be interesting choosing between fear and living life.

worlds largest rodeo in full swing here.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

going to be interesting choosing between fear and living life.

worlds largest rodeo in full swing here.

Fear is certainly going to factor into individual decisions, but the biggest factor is that large events will significantly accelerate the spread of this virus. Canceling them is in the collective public interest... we shouldn’t be giving individuals the opportunity to make the wrong choice. 

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Bad **** happens when seemingly smart people don't give due diligence to actual pandemics. 

1)  When the thread started, it wasn't an actual pandemic.  

2)  And I'm curious as to what "due diligence" (that isn't based on hindsight) you think wasn't done.  

Sorry I'm not going to play a semantics game today with you. 

Apparently smart people here (and everywhere) flippantly dismissed the early reporting and cases.  As if they didn't know that almost every major flu like infection comes straight out of Asia every year and makes it's way across the globe.

This was all predictable.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Sorry I'm not going to play a semantics game today with you. 

You're just going to make bombastic pronouncements of unsupported guild, and then attack other people for having the nerve to point out that your claims aren't true.  

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Apprently smart people here (and everywhere) flippantly dismissed the early reporting and cases.

1)  Don't suppose you've got any support for this new claim?  

2)  And as for people here, (and your previous claim), I'm not aware of a single person on this board who has any "due diligence" to perform in this matter, at all.  

(Now, if you've got reliable reports of, say, the CDC choosing to ignore the disease, I'd say that's absolutely relevant, and blame-worthy, information.  But somehow what I suspect we've got here is a case of something bad happened, and someone leaping from that to announcing that somebody should have prevented this one, before it happened.)

I think this would be a bigger deal if this thing was actually really bad.  But by the looks of things, it’s just a decent cold.

My prediction is that this thing becomes a seasonal thing that we go through and if you don’t get it then you’ll know people who do.  You’ll recover and then get on with your life.

• Like 1