Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I live in Montgomery County, and I was scheduled to go to an appt (non threatening variety) at Shady Grove hospital in the morning.

Strongly thinking about a cancellation. A hospital (especially one like Shady Grove) is the last place anyone not near death should want to be.

Shady Grove sounds shady. Cancel. 

Just sayin. 

• Like 3

Another question i had is if there isn’t a cure for covid 19 and the treatment is essentially the same as the flu why do we need so many tests for? It might be important to track the spread but someone said needed “millions” of tests... once it’s that wide spread why does it matter for?

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

I think schools in impacted areas should be shutdown immediately. Might be overkill, but we need to get ahead of this thing before it spins out of control. 

It's already out of control, the goal at this point has to be not causing a panic. 

With the vaccine a year or two away before being safe and common, heading towards a new normal, which we jus going to have to keep as normal as possible.  School year is almost over, its march now, and this doesnt seem to be hitting that demographic as hard. 

I'm not saying dont keep kids as safe as possible, we should, jus if we close them now when do we open them again?  Its passed containment, no one can hide from this now even if we try. Is it really time to make that call now, or can we make it to point schools can count the school year then close for summer early? 

Edited by Renegade7

They're quarantining thousands of people elsewhere and kids are carriers even if less affected than older people.  Other countries have shut down schools for weeks.  I don't know.  I don't see how we deal with it without a lot of people dying though. 

Edited by visionary

38 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Another question i had is if there isn’t a cure for covid 19 and the treatment is essentially the same as the flu why do we need so many tests for? It might be important to track the spread but someone said needed “millions” of tests... once it’s that wide spread why does it matter for?

Taking a guess here. Same reason when you go to an urgent care center they give you a test for flu or strep throat, to make sure they giving you proper treatment since one is a virus and one is bacteria. I agree at some point we need to have so many test kits we arent keeping track of that number anymore, jus making sure we dont run out. 

The fact we are keeping track shows it's going to be a while before we know how many people already have it. We may never catch up to that number at this rate. Same way we dont have the total number of folks that had the flu, jus reported numbers.

@visionary I get where you coming from on the school thing.  Idk the right answer, I really dont. I jus believe we are past the point of containing the spread, so jus how badly do we want to disrupt society and what point do we get back to normal without knowing what the new normal is yet?

It's fair and safe to close schools now, but what's the threshold for opening them back up if we do?  We are heading towards endemic territory, saw the rumor of second strain variant in China, hoping it's not true.

I dont know answer. Jus concerned about indefinite closures of anything, it will guarantee a recession if arent in one already. Are we there yet or can we give this more time to be sure?

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@visionary I get where you coming from on the school thing.  Idk the right answer, I really dont. I jus believe we are past the point of containing the spread, so jus how badly do we want to disrupt society and what point do we get back to normal without knowing what the new normal is yet?

It's fair and safe to close schools now, but what's the threshold for opening them back up if we do?  We are heading towards endemic territory, saw the rumor of second strain variant in China, hoping it's not true.

I dont know answer. Jus concerned about indefinite closures of anything, it will guarantee a recession if arent in one already. Are we there yet or can we give this more time to be sure?

I doubt things will be very normal here before long no matter what we do.  Look at China, Italy, and Iran.  Very far from normal.  Even less affected places have made major changes.  

1 minute ago, visionary said:

I doubt things will be very normal here before long no matter what we do.  Look at China, Italy, and Iran.  Very far from normal.  Even less affected places have made major changes.  

You probably right, jus postponing the inevitble.  It might be like China where people are only going back to work to keep the economy from collapsing.  Things will probably get shut down until we cant shut them down anymore without risking losing them.  If that's the plan for education. How do we keep them educated, or jus give up in that, too?

For most part that age group are carriers at best, I wish we had an estimate of what bottoming out would look like before using terms like indefinitely.  We are getting off easy compared to something with a much higher kill rate, but world hasnt been through something like this in over a 100 years.

If we closed schools for spanish flu , We did eventually reopen them.  Some schools were closed for up to 15 weeks based on this article, but I wasnt there, I dont know, jus looking at history as it tends to repeat itself

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.28.6.w1066

I don’t know what’s going to happen with schools, any action will be massively disruptive, but I want to know the plan to safeguard the elderly.  This thing got into a nursing care facility in Washington and the death count was immediately felt right?  What are officials doing to keep this out of nursing homes, retirement communities, etc.  Any place that caters to retirees and above represents a much bigger risk according to the numbers.  They should probably be given some sort of priority.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I agree, they're pretty much already in a quarantined state, unable to get away quickly if needed. 

On sports talk radio here, they're talking about cancelling the Final 4? I say talking, cuz it's radio...but that would **** this city up sideways. We need it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Destino said:

I don’t know what’s going to happen with schools, any action will be massively disruptive, but I want to know the plan to safeguard the elderly.  This thing got into a nursing care facility in Washington and the death count was immediately felt right?  What are officials doing to keep this out of nursing homes, retirement communities, etc.  Any place that caters to retirees and above represents a much bigger risk according to the numbers.  They should probably be given some sort of priority.  

they are limiting and screening visitors for travel and health flags, cutting public events and upping hygiene efforts fwih

encouraging digital visitation would be good

Took advantage of a brief market rally earlier this week to move my 401k into a bond-heavy fund for current retirees. If this gets as bad as I think it will, I could have saved myself half my balance (and will be ready to move it back over for the recovery). 

• Like 1

Just noticing a difference today. Its finally hitting home for people. Shame it takes something like this to stop people from being dirty, trifling dickwads and actually bother practicing healthy hygiene.

Also, its noticeably more empty everywhere, and folks aren't talking as much.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

25 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Took advantage of a brief market rally earlier this week to move my 401k into a bond-heavy fund for current retirees. If this gets as bad as I think it will, I could have saved myself half my balance (and will be ready to move it back over for the recovery). 

The problem with this approach is that you have to be right twice... once now (that it's going down further and it's time to get out) and again that it's time to get back in. A vast majority of the market's upside comes in quick one day bursts that are easy to miss, not in slow, steady, easy to read increases. If you wait until you're sure, you could end up losing money because you buy back in higher than where you got out.

On the other hand, if you believe there will be a recovery, as you note, and you have time to wait for it*, then standing pat means you get to benefit from it, no guessing required.

*It's easy to say now, but people that don't have time to wait for a recovery shouldn't have money they need in the stock market in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1