Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Haven't really checked the symptoms much, but if it involves pneumonia that seems pretty bad, especially if  it can't be helped with antibiotics.  

On a side note, I've been feeling kind of weird the past week and on and off feverish for a few days now, and consistently feverish since yesterday evening.  

Kind of congested today as well, so hopefully this doesn't develop into something bad.  Generally when I get the flu, I'm stuck in bed for a week or more, feverish, sweating, coughing, constant mucous and saliva, and sometimes nausea.

Edited by visionary
  • Sad 3

I'm a doc, and I'm worried about this.  I don't think this is ebola, its not a threat to civilization or anything like that.  I am worried that if this grows as one would expect (as it did in Wuhan, in Italy, in Iran, etc), the stress on our medical system is going to be severe.  Our hospital is typically at 90-95% capacity at all times.   If we suddenly have dozens/hundreds/thousands of patients showing up with severe respiratory disease, we are not going to have enough ICU beds to go around.  If/when docs/nurses/other hospital staff start getting sick in droves, the challenge is going to be severe.  

If this grows slowly, over months or years, then our system can likely handle it.  We can achieve that with widespread testing, aggressive tracking, and appropriate quarantines.  I'm afraid that isn't happening.  If this explodes, like it could (not saying for sure it will), we won't be able to provide adequate care for all the sick (not just people with coronavirus).

This is all compounded by the stress on the supply chain that is making equipment and medications scarce.  

There remains a wide range of possible outcomes for this virus in the US.  I'm hoping for the best.  But, at this point, the chances of a major, rapid outbreak that we are truly not ready for remains high enough that I'm not sleeping very well...

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Haven't really checked the symptoms much, but if it involves pneumonia that seems pretty bad, especially if  it can't be helped with antibiotics.  

On a side note, I've been feeling kind of weird the past week and on and off feverish for a few days now, and consistently feverish since yesterday evening.  

Kind of congested today as well, so hopefully this doesn't develop into something bad.  Generally when I get the flu, I'm stuck in bed for a week or more, feverish, sweating, coughing, constant mucous and saliva, and sometimes nausea.

Good luck

The fever course among patients with COVID-19 is not fully understood; it may be prolonged and intermittent.”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

I follow this subreddit for a while now, and this is all true.  Ironic, I got a popup on my app trying to direct me there. So now they are doing opposite of other platforms and directing people to where the misinformation is.

I'm sure not of the answer, but it certainly isnt what they are doing right now, everything with grain of salt, but some ads up and cooberatrd elsewhere, its jus not advertised as that that's another huge problem.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-reddit-social-platforms-spread-misinformation-who-cdc-2020-3?utm_source=reddit.com

As millions flock to social platforms to find the latest on the coronavirus, Reddit is one of the last popular websites to hold out on providing and prioritizing verified information from health officials to its users.

Reddit users have already clamored to a number of coronavirus-related subreddits, including r/coronavirus, which has more than 600,000 members. However, information-hungry users are getting little help from the platform in directing them toward the most accurate and up-to-date news from official sources, such as the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

38 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

If you're really not concerned about it now's your chance for some cheap flights!

I'm writing this from Wuhan, at the busiest starbucks in the city, after going to the bathroom and not washing my hands.

Feels good man.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, visionary said:

Just got through a bad week of having something. (Caught it from the Mrs who had it the week prior). Day 1 - scratchy throat, chest tickle and congestion in upper sinus; Day 2  - A total flood of snot - initially thought a Noahs Ark might be needed to save life on Earth; Day 3 suddenly dries up - must be on the mend; Day 4 - Boy was I wrong - coughing fits galore - very dry coughing and wheezing leads to headaches; Day 5 (Today)- much better some residual coughing seem to be on the mend; Day 6 ?

Thing is I never had a fever and of course all the early snot eliminates Covid 19. So just my worst cold ever maybe?

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Am I the only one not worried about this at all? I mean, I'm 35 and in good health, so I'm low risk, but it just seems like a bad cold/flu that I've had dozens of times in my life. Seems like everybody is freaking out over 3k deaths worldwide, when 750k people die ever year from the garden variety flu.

People are acting as if Ebola is running rampant worldwide.

The impression I get is that it's considerably worse than the flu.  

Now, I also assume that those stats might easily be skewed, because we're only testing people with the most obvious symptoms or risk.  So the stats might be artifically inflated right now.  

But then, I remind myself that I'm an armchair quarterback, here.  And people like the CDC are treating it like it's a lot worse.  And when my gut disagrees with the CDC, I don't express my disagreement very loudly.  

34 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

If this grows slowly, over months or years, then our system can likely handle it.  We can achieve that with widespread testing, aggressive tracking, and appropriate quarantines.  I'm afraid that isn't happening.  

supposedly there’s good news in the pipeline for testing which would involve pulling that piece away from hospitals which will help with surge but also protect hospitals from unnecessary exposure (most people will be ordered to self quarantine and thus not even need to enter a hospital to expose others)

there’s also supposedly a removal of airborne restrictions coming. And some other things. 

some of this may have already been I posted I’m just kinda catching up

37 minutes ago, visionary said:

Uh, I'm not a scientist, but...that graph data appears to correlate with the two to three week incubation time...everything seems to stabilize, then boom, symptoms show and explosive growth. I really hope I am wrong here. We could see a massive surge in 14 to 17 days.

• Like 1

So to freak you guys out Virginia has only a small number of test kids available. 

as in, 2 digits kind of a small number. 

like, less than 100. 

theres 3+ million people in Nova alone. They got < 100 for the whole state 

Oh and another fun thing:

doctors offices are either incompetent at handling basic phone screening or are terrified to let someone in their office, so they’re sending people directly to their local hospital’s ED. 

and they’re failing the screening and being diagnosed with the flu. 

that’s a super high medical bill for a flu swab

not to mention, you could have gone to the hospital with the flu and left with the coronavirus lol. Thank your doctors office. 

Also had the cdc announced they no longer believe its community spread?

cause that’s the info coming down the chain. Supposedly they’ve verified every case to have been tied to contact with a traveler (new cases that haven’t had time to be investigated can’t count...)

Edited by tshile

1 hour ago, visionary said:

My son had something last week that carried into this week. I got it much worse and basically haven’t done **** all week. Started with fever and chills and no energy. Then went to congestion of my head and coughing up some lovely phlegm and still no energy but never stuffy nose. We had been in Florida before getting this but who knows. I’d get tested if it was available. Was negative on a flu test.

I wonder how many people told to self-quarantine as possibly infected are too afraid to go in for help if they start having problems.  Alternatively I wonder how many non symptomatic or mildly symptomatic folks will ignore the warnings and go out in public as if nothing was wrong.

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

I wonder how many people told to self-quarantine as possibly infected are too afraid to go in for help if they start having problems.  Alternatively I wonder how many non symptomatic or mildly symptomatic folks will ignore the warnings and go out in public as if nothing was wrong.

Image result for pokemon coronavirus meme