Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I thought it was only around 19 deaths in the US total, unless we're including other deaths.

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

Driving home just now, heard some things on NPR, about the nursing home in Washington that's under quarantine. 

They've had 26 deaths since Feb 19. 

But only 13 of them tested positive for the virus. 

The story didn't mention if the other 13 were negative, or not tested. 

The patients who test negative, are there because they have nowhere else to go. 

Hospitals won't take them unless they're acute. And family says they can't care for them. 

On Feb 19, the nursing home had 160 employees. They're now down to 70. 

Edited by visionary

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

Maybe the ones that didn't test positive, don't count in the 19 statistic?

And not everyone who tests positive dies. 

That's where I'd like a better breakdown of the stats by the media. How many positive patients have recovered, how many re-contracted it,  etc. 

10 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

And not everyone who tests positive dies. 

That's where I'd like a better breakdown of the stats by the media. How many positive patients have recovered, how many re-contracted it,  etc. 

Have you been to this website. It is showing only 17 deaths in the US. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

“The clear message to people who fit into those categories is; ‘You ought to become a semi-hermit...in particular avoiding crowds of any kind,’” Dr. William Schaffner, Vanderbilt U. infectious disease expert.

works for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, zskins said:

Well on the positive side.... 

The (rare) travel upside to coronavirus? You might have a swankier plane on your spring flight

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/03/07/coronavirus-travel-airlines-move-big-planes-asia-us-flights/4905587002/

I got upgraded from Economy to Economy Plus on my flight on Monday on United.

I'm hoping on the flight back home we get upgraded too lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

I got upgraded from Economy to Economy Plus on my flight on Monday on United.

I'm hoping on the flight back home we get upgraded too lol.

That was nice of them...lol

The article is about the lack of use of the bigger international planes for domestic use now and that means flying in the US will give you more leg room and movies to watch now. :)

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

She's adorable. 🤗

She's the best. 

Despite everything, I still go outside with her, in areas with less foot traffic so we can get some sun. That's good for the mind and the immune system. 

But yeah, I'm trying to limit my public appearances to a few times a week. I'm going out for drinks with a friend tomorrow, gonna have wipes with me and won't shake any hands. Obviously grocery shopping needs to happen, same thing there. Job interviews, same. Life goes on, but there's a lot you can do to protect yourself and having a positive, proactive attitude is one of them. 

• Like 2

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-italy-doctors-intensive-care-deaths-a9384356.html

‘Get ready’: Italian doctors warn Europe of coronavirus impact on hospitals

‘It will be tough’, British doctor admits after Italian experts warn one in 10 of those infected need intensive care

21 comments

Shaun LinternHealth Correspondent @ShaunLintern

12 hours ago 

Italian doctors have warned medics across Europe to “get ready” for coronavirus in a letter revealing up to 10 per cent of all those infected with coronavirus need intensive care, with hospitals becoming overwhelmed.

The letter, seen by The Independent, reveals the scale of the impact on hospitals in Italy where 5,883 patients have been infected with the virus and 233 people have died as of 6pm on Saturday.

In the note, sent to the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine, critical care experts Professor Maurizio Cecconi, Professor Antonio Pesenti and Professor Giacomo Grasselli, from the University of Milan, revealed how difficult it had been to treat coronavirus patients.

They said: “We are seeing a high percentage of positive cases being admitted to our intensive care units (ICUs), in the range of 10 per cent of all positive patients.

“We wish to convey a strong message: Get ready!”

*Click Link For More*

• Like 2

I believe that 10% of all people who are sick enough with coronavirus to be formally diagnosed by a clinician could ultimately need intensive care. The worldwide numbers bear this out as a possibility.

There is absolutely no way that 10% of all people who catch coronavirus in some capacity will need intensive care. It's possible that we never even formally diagnose 90% of people who get the virus.

Without even taking those asymptomatic cases into account, here is the percentage of critical cases among all active cases in the following countries:

Italy: 11.2%

China: 25%

South Korea: 0.5%

France: 4.8%

Germany: 1.1%

Diamond Princess: 7.1%

Spain: 1.8%

Japan: 7.3%

Switzerland: 0%

USA: 1.9%

UK: 0%

Netherlands: 0.5%