Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Which begs the question, if he gets it, will the government hide it?

They cant hid it if he dies, what are they gonna Weekend at Bernies the dude until November?

My guess is they hide it.  You would think there's no way that would leak unless he actually dies, since it could cause severe civil unrest.

But his entire admin leaks like it's going out of style, and people would know something is up because he never shuts his mouth (or his fingers).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Which begs the question, if he gets it, will the government hide it?

They cant hid it if he dies, what are they gonna Weekend at Bernies the dude until November?

Why would Trump die from it? I’ve read that it’s no worse than the common flu, and also that he’s one of the healthiest septuagenarians in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

When was the last time anything happened, when the reaction was not "lie our asses off"?  

I know, right?  He'll be saying nothing to worry about while giving it to people knowingly to try to protect the stock market.  Deny deny deny, then say the test kit is rigged.  If he ends up in critical condition and people start asking where he is, safe location or golfing?

14 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This is a full blown crises at this point. 

Noting that what it took, for you to pronounce this, was movement of the stock market.  

(Granted, that's what our national leader is looking at, too.)  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Noting that what it took, for you to pronounce this, was movement of the stock market.  

(Granted, that's what our national leader is looking at, too.)  

It’s not just movement of the stock market. Like I said last night, we are pretty much at the tipping point of how much we can contain this epidemic. We could have either gone the South Korea route where aggressive early testing helped contain or the Italy route where piss poor containment has now led to the quarantine of 16 million people.

Even a moderate outbreak in this country will require 200,000 available ICU beds. There are 100,00 nationwide. 

Government is now tasked with not only containing an epidemic, but also limiting a runaway financial meltdown that is linked to it. What’s your confidence level that they can handle two crises simultaneously, when they haven’t even shown the capability to manage one?

Edited by No Excuses
  • Thanks 1

Given the low mortality among the relatively young and high mortality among the old, could we consider a quarantine or near quarantine of everyone over the age of say 70 for a month?  Maybe even two? Their economic welfare would be less effected and maybe we pass an additional stimulus package centered around still working elderly population.  At the end of the one to two month, could we be in a situation where some semblance of herd immunity has developed among the younger population?

36 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I cannot believe that we are facing a growing pandemic and a global financial meltdown simultaneously with Donald Trump leading the charge. **** you to everyone who voted for him. 

Trump is a known germaphobe too. 

We're all ****ed.

Personally I would laugh my tuckus off if Pence got it, cuz then germaphobe Cheetohead would avoid him like Pence avoiding sitting next to a woman other than his wife.  A fitting penance (no pun intended) for a feckless sycophant charged with containing the virus.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Even a moderate outbreak in this country will require 200,000 available ICU beds.

Please point me at the location, right now, where 0.05% of the total population are in ICU beds.  

Looking at Hubei, which I assume is the worst outbreak anywhere, I see:  

Total population: 58M  (Roughly 1/6 of the US)

Total currently confirmed:  18K.  (Total cumulative confirmed 68K, of which 46K have recovered.  (And 3K died.))  (Source.)

Increase those numbers to equal the US population, and your "moderate outbreak will require 200K ICU beds" equals 2 ICU beds for every single person who currently tests positive for the virus.  (Or one ICU bed for every two people who have ever tested positive.)  

26 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It’s not just movement of the stock market. Like I said last night, we are pretty much at the tipping point of how much we can contain this epidemic. We could have either gone the South Korea route where aggressive early testing helped contain or the Italy route where piss poor containment has now led to the quarantine of 16 million people.

Even a moderate outbreak in this country will require 200,000 available ICU beds. There are 100,00 nationwide. 

Government is now tasked with not only containing an epidemic, but also limiting a runaway financial meltdown that is linked to it. What’s your confidence level that they can handle two crises simultaneously, when they haven’t even shown the capability to manage one?

We will be fine. Trump is the reincarnation of Jesus and an all knowing stable genius. All you have to do is worship him and you will be spared. It's those that opposes him that will suffer. Trump is the chosen one and he will spare his followers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This is something to talk about.  I think it is reasonably possible that 200,000 americans will eventually need ICU care from this, but it is exceedingly unlikely that 200,000 will need it simultaneously.  

At this point, given how many people are spreading this broadly all over this country, I think it is quite likely that many/most Americans will EVENTUALLY be infected by COVID19.  We, as a health care system, despite all the flaws, can likely handle this if the spread is slow and patients come into hospitals in small numbers at a time.

If the spread is not controlled, and it grows exponentially, it could easily swamp available resources and people will get far sicker than they need to because of lack of access/bottlenecking of care.  

We need to reframe discussions about this away from preventing spread to at least slowing spread.  A key part of that effort would be broad testing of anyone with suggestive symptoms, and any contacts of known or suspected individuals.  Our testing infrastructure is not ready for this.  

Another key part of controlling this would be an intelligent, organized, rapid, trusted and effective way for the central leaders to mobilize people to change behavior and reduce risk.  Our president can't seem to stop lying about this, and is obviously more concerned about the effects on the economy than on the people.  Why he can't see the connection between those two is beyond me, other than he is just that stupid.

At least we can all wash our hands.  Please do so.

• Like 5