Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

16 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Raisin bread?  Yeah man.  C'mon, You're talking about PB&J sandwiches, I can get by on raisin bread.  

PB&J > Raisin Bread

It has protein, is more filling, will last you longer and it has history.  Kids grew up on PB&J, they appeared in lunch boxes all over America.  Raisin bread is something they fed you when you visited Grandma, then she offered you a bowl with ribbon candy that had all fused together in one mass the size of a volleyball.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Received this email from pepco.

Dear Valued Customer,

At Pepco, the safety and well-being of our employees, customers and communities has always been our top priority. This commitment guides us as we face the COVID-19 national emergency. We recognize the role we play is foundational to how our region and country responds to this challenge. We provide the critical infrastructure that powers our hospitals and health care facilities, our federal, state and local response centers, and the millions of homes and businesses where people live and work.

While the situation is changing rapidly, we will remain committed, with an unrelenting focus on safety and the reliability of our critical operations. We have extensive plans in place to help ensure we meet the energy needs of our customers and communities, while doing all we can to protect the health and safety of our team members as we power these essential operations.

We are taking a number of steps to help fulfill our responsibilities and support our community during this challenge:

• Pepco has suspended service disconnections and is waiving new late payment fees through at least May 1and will be working with customers on a case-by-case basis to establish payment arrangements and identify energy assistance options.
  •  
  • Customers who may be challenged in paying their bill should contact Pepco Customer Care at 202-833-7500. Pepco will work with customers who may have difficulty paying their energy bill. The company offerspayment options, like Budget Billing, which averages payments over a 12-month period to help customers manage their monthly energy bill, or flexible payment arrangements that offer individually tailored payment installment plans.
  •  
  • Through Pepco’s Gift of Energy program, anyone can make a payment toward a friend or family member’s energy bill. The gift will appear on a future bill as a credit to the recipient's account.
  •  
  • Pepco works closely with its community partners to connect customers with energy assistance grants and programs. Learn more here about programs available in your area.

For more information on our pandemic preparedness and response and customer service options, visitpepco.com/coronavirus.

We want to thank our many employees, who must be at our facilities or in the community, maintaining equipment, and handling customer calls in our care centers. These talented men and women are the backbone of our operations. We respect and support their special duty to serve.

As the situation surrounding the coronavirus continues to evolve, we will update you on the extra measures we are taking to ensure the ongoing safety of our employees, customers and communities and the plans we are implementing to maintain safe, reliable and affordable service.

Thank you,

Derrick Dickens 
Senior Vice President and Chief Customer Officer, Pepco Holdings

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

PB&J > Raisin Bread

It has protein, is more filling, will last you longer and it has history.  Kids grew up on PB&J, they appeared in lunch boxes all over America.  Raisin bread is something they fed you when you visited Grandma, then she offered you a bowl with ribbon candy that had all fused together in one mass the size of a volleyball.  

How do you know my Grandma? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

It's never too soon to discuss things that need to be changed in society. It's like the "let's not talk about guns in the aftermath of a mass causality event." We absolutely need to have society reflecting on how we got here and the ****ed up way we go about life at times. 

You're right, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I may be wrong, but here me out here:

When I was private sector, my last company at least twice had two instances where we messed up so bad on a project when it was over we had a powerpoint meeting on how bad we F'd up and what specific changes we would make to make sure it didnt happen again.  

The meeting I got to sit in on was concerning a botched server migration project that we eventually got right in the end.  I wasnt on the project, but it was lead by my department and i had to make the documentation from the notes that were taken as I was going to start doing those migrations myself.

What I'm saying is it's too early for that meeting, which is not the "you are f'n up, I'm taking over" meeting.  I couldnt make the new documentation until the migration was done, we couldnt have the powerpoint on everything we got right, wrong, and would do different until the migration was done and customer was back online happy enough to say we were done.

This is a moving target, but that meeting with all our branches of government then the WHO with the UN, it's too early for that and that's what I want to get us all on the same page for the next one.  I was with everyone else blasting Trump for blocking travel from Europe without even telling them and how they failed that implementation, then within 24 hours Europe is designated the new epicenter of the virus. He knew that before I did and that's why he did it, different then how he did it.

Theres now conflicting reports on how this virus is affected by warm weather, affects the nervous system, and how the quarantine on cruise ships was a complete and total failure in everyway imaginable (but quarantine cruise ships for two seconds was thought to be a good idea).  Theres more then enough justified second guessing going on, I jus dont believe we can have the conversation at the neccesary levels for the fundamental changes to how governments respond to global pandemics until at least after the first spike. 

Us doing different things is part of what got us in this mess, we need to be more on the same page in something we still dont fully understand yet. Based on what Trump said yesterday, that meeting can and should happen sometime between the end of summer and beginning of fall 2020 before the possibility of a second spike happens.  I wouldnt wait until after the second one, we cant confirm that will happen or if there will be a third.

This is me talking out loud, and I may be wrong here, but to me calling out failures in real time, I'm taking over, and this is what we got to fundamentally change to prevent this from happening again are three different conversations.  All need to happen, I'm jus not sure we are ready for the last one yet, the house is still in fire.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, First Colony said:

So, I have a loose crown, and I've called the dentist and am waiting to hear back.  I guess I should go in to have it fixed?  I'm pretty nervouse if I'm being honest.  Not really practicing social distancing.  

I feel you. Your dentist is in the medical field, is he/she saying it can or should wait?  Hospitals are rescheduling elective surgeries to make room for Covid-19 patients. That doesnt mean they are going to tell women giving birth or folks having heart attacks to go home or not come (at least I havent seen that yet)

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel you. Your dentist is in the medical field, is he/she saying it can or should wait?  Hospitals are rescheduling elective surgeries to make room for Covid-19 patients. That doesnt mean they are going to tell women giving birth or folks having heart attacks to go home or not come (at least I havent seen that yet)

Well, I just heard from the dentist, and they won't see me unless it's an emergency.  If the pain is too much then they'll see me.  If the crown comes out, I'm suposed to call them and they'll walk me through how to put it back in.  I told them the whiskey is good for any pain, and they agreed that it would also help kill any bacteria. 😃

So, kind of a good news/bad news situation I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

It's never too soon to discuss things that need to be changed in society. It's like the "let's not talk about guns in the aftermath of a mass causality event." We absolutely need to have society reflecting on how we got here and the ****ed up way we go about life at times. 

Nothing will change unless the current government controlled by the GOP is removed from the equation. As long as they control part of the government; no meaningful change can happen. You can’t address the weaknesses that are coming to light until that changes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Walking through the neighborhood, bars and restaurants are still open in Loudoun. Not practicing social distancing either.

Reports from family in Europe it’s quite a different story. Only plastic in shops in France. Only leaving house for specific reasons. Discouraging couples walking together.

Spain discouraging couple in cars together.

Massive layoffs in Ireland.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

PB&J > Raisin Bread

Put the PB&J on the raisin bread.  Get it together.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, First Colony said:

So, I have a loose crown, and I've called the dentist and am waiting to hear back.  I guess I should go in to have it fixed?  I'm pretty nervouse if I'm being honest.  Not really practicing social distancing.  

(Not an insult, just a joke.)  

• Like 2

So.... we all have it without symptoms and its about to destroy our lungs? Or we are stupidly doing massive damage to our economy?  Can't the vulnerable and people who have travelled to hotspots quarantine?

My emotions are yoyoing on this....

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

So.... we all have it without symptoms and its about to destroy our lungs? Or we are stupidly doing massive damage to our economy?  Can't the vulnerable and people who have travelled to hotspots quarantine?

It's a genetically engineered bioweapon, designed by a Chinese germ warfare laboratory under contract from Nancy Pelosi.  And it's just the flu.  

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You're right, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I may be wrong, but here me out here:

When I was private sector, my last company at least twice had two instances where we messed up so bad on a project when it was over we had a powerpoint meeting on how bad we F'd up and what specific changes we would make to make sure it didnt happen again.  

The meeting I got to sit in on was concerning a botched server migration project that we eventually got right in the end.  I wasnt on the project, but it was lead by my department and i had to make the documentation from the notes that were taken as I was going to start doing those migrations myself.

What I'm saying is it's too early for that meeting, which is not the "you are f'n up, I'm taking over" meeting.  I couldnt make the new documentation until the migration was done, we couldnt have the powerpoint on everything we got right, wrong, and would do different until the migration was done and customer was back online happy enough to say we were done.

This is a moving target, but that meeting with all our branches of government then the WHO with the UN, it's too early for that and that's what I want to get us all on the same page for the next one.  I was with everyone else blasting Trump for blocking travel from Europe without even telling them and how they failed that implementation, then within 24 hours Europe is designated the new epicenter of the virus. He knew that before I did and that's why he did it, different then how he did it.

Theres now conflicting reports on how this virus is affected by warm weather, affects the nervous system, and how the quarantine on cruise ships was a complete and total failure in everyway imaginable (but quarantine cruise ships for two seconds was thought to be a good idea).  Theres more then enough justified second guessing going on, I jus dont believe we can have the conversation at the neccesary levels for the fundamental changes to how governments respond to global pandemics until at least after the first spike. 

Us doing different things is part of what got us in this mess, we need to be more on the same page in something we still dont fully understand yet. Based on what Trump said yesterday, that meeting can and should happen sometime between the end of summer and beginning of fall 2020 before the possibility of a second spike happens.  I wouldnt wait until after the second one, we cant confirm that will happen or if there will be a third.

This is me talking out loud, and I may be wrong here, but to me calling out failures in real time, I'm taking over, and this is what we got to fundamentally change to prevent this from happening again are three different conversations.  All need to happen, I'm jus not sure we are ready for the last one yet, the house is still in fire.

Let me clarify something. I'm not talking more about unrelated issues that this is exposing to people that normally have no knowledge about it. For example, kids/families needing extra food because they normally rely on school meals to provide nutrition needed in a given day. I'm talking about how people don't hesitate to spray there lawns with nasty ****ing chemicals or how we, as a society, eat like complete ****, stuff like this. In NC we still haven't expanded medicaid which is terrible for rural parts of the state, but one party won't budge. 

We, again in general as a society, are so fearful of something like Coronavirus but don't think twice about doing things that are awful for society at large. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Option 3: we know a massive, infrastructure crushing outbreak is likely without aggressive action. But since we haven’t been doing widespread testing for the past 8 weeks, we have no clue where the hot spots are or how we contain them. So we do more, because the short term pain of doing more is way better than longterm consequences of not doing enough. 

Right now we’re still not doing enough.