Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

It's frustrating when we can look at what's happening in Italy and people are still certain that it isn't a big deal here. ABC running a 20/20 about it, showing that patients are being kept outside in storage facilities and tents after saying that they have more hospital beds per person than the U.S. does. "Those don't look like particularly good hospitals, those are just cots and blankets." They. Are. Over. Capacity. They don't have anywhere else to put them. "Pneumonia kills more people on average than it does coming just from coronavirus, and it doesn't get attention." Sigh.

On the onehand, I want so much for them to understand why they should be the slightest bit concerned. On the other, I hope so much that we'll never have to endure it to find out.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this recently and I'm pretty confident that the US will learn nothing long term from this. As a society we will just go right back to the way things were and ignore all the obvious problems facing the country/world. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I've been thinking about this recently and I'm pretty confident that the US will learn nothing long term from this. As a society we will just go right back to the way things were and ignore all the obvious problems facing the country/world. 

I figure we probably will learn something, but the next crisis like it will be 50-100 years down the line. This generation will remember it, but we'll be old photographs and the people in those nursing homes by the time it comes around again. Plus, by 1920s standards we'd probably be doing pretty okay. But what we prep for in the future will be as archaic as what we were prepared for up to now. Technology changes the pace this spreads at, there's no telling what the technology by the end of this century will advance to.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’ve never met anyone that has ever eaten at Bob Evans and now I know why. 

I used to go a lot in the 90s as a kid, one in Manassass, been a while, good food, better then that ****hole Cracklebarrel.

Edited by Renegade7

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I figure we probably will learn something, but the next crisis like it will be 50-100 years down the line. This generation will remember it, but we'll be old photographs and the people in those nursing homes by the time it comes around again. Plus, by 1920s standards we'd probably be doing pretty okay. But what we prep for in the future will be as archaic as what we were prepared for up to now. Technology changes the pace this spreads at, there's no telling what the technology by the end of this century will advance to.

I don't even mean just in the sense of another pandemic. This is exposing lots of issues that most people prefer not to think about and I don't think we will reflect enough on things like general health and health care. One issue I've been thinking about is how we have so many kids that need school food for their nutrition. This should be a national embarrassment. Instead, it's mostly out of sight out of mind for many Americans. 

• Like 2

This isn't the time for retrospective yet, imo, we aren't even done with the first spike nor seen if there will be a second.  The difference between this global pandemic and previous ones is the amount of digital eyewitness records on the internet. Our society is getting time capsuled on a daily basis now.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

This isn't the time for retrospective yet, imo, we aren't even done with the first spike nor seen if there will be a second.  The difference between this global pandemic and previous ones is the amount of digital eyewitness records on the internet. Our society is getting time capsuled on a daily basis now.

It's never too soon to discuss things that need to be changed in society. It's like the "let's not talk about guns in the aftermath of a mass causality event." We absolutely need to have society reflecting on how we got here and the ****ed up way we go about life at times. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Redskinzfan30 said:

Got an email that all Bath & Body works stores have closed in the US & Canada temporarily. First major retailer to shutter operations. Whose the next? 

An update for our Hot Topic community
Hot Topic <noreply@s.hottopic.com>
Mon 3/16/2020 11:36 PM
To: 

View in browser.

To our Hot Topic community:For the safety of our customers, employees and community, beginning Tuesday, March 17th we will be closing all stores through March 30th.
Our store employees will continue to be paid during this timeframe. We will continue to monitor the situation closely. Please stay safe and know how grateful we are for all of you. Love, Your HT Family 

Edited by visionary

OMG.  I never thought it would come to this. I have never been a gun owner, assuming that there would never be an apocalypse in our more enlightened world.  But I feel like a moron now.  Both Hot Topic and Bath & Bodyworks closing?  I hate to say it, but it is every man for himself at this point... Somehow I am going to have to fight my way into the mall, UNARMED, and get my nipple  piercing jewelry and scented lotions... then try to get out alive.  I feel that I am a good person, but at some point, you have to realize that there is no such thing as society anymore.

Just to make sure I am not misunderstood.... that was sarcasm, and I understand that there is a serious health issue in our nation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Do a lot of people actually buy that at Hot Topic? I'd guess most of what they sell these days are cool t-shirts and pop culture accessories.

My wife told me I was wrong about that, but I kept it in there because I thought it sounded funny.  Honestly, I just try to find a place to sit in peace when my kids go into hot topic.  What is actually in there is left to my imagination.

• Thanks 1