Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Strongly encourage everyone to read this interview with Dennis Carroll, who has been at the forefront of scientists ringing the alarm about zoonotic diseases in the world for the last few decades. A lot of important information shared here on why this is happening, what we can do to prevent it and his view on why the US response has been so badly bungled so far (hint: it's stupid people put in charge by other stupid people).

http://nautil.us/issue/83/intelligence/the-man-who-saw-the-pandemic-coming?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The Man Who Saw the Pandemic Coming

Dennis Carroll doesn’t mean to sound callous when he says the coronavirus outbreak was predictable. And he doesn’t. He sounds sympathetic to people frightened by the outbreak. He has been an eyewitness to people around the world suffering from similar viruses. Most of all, Carroll sounds authoritative.

For decades, Carroll has been a leading voice about the threat of zoonotic spillover, the transmission of pathogens from nonhuman animals to us. Scientists are confident the current outbreak, which began in Wuhan, China, stemmed from a virus inherent in bats. In 2009, after years of studying infectious diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Carroll formed a USAID program called PREDICT, where he guided trailblazing research into viruses hiding, and waiting to emerge, in animals around the world.

“Dennis is a visionary,” says Christine K. Johnson, an epidemiologist at the One Health Institute at the University of California, Davis, where she is a professor in the School of Veterinary Medicine. “He took the reactive approach to infectious diseases and turned it on its head. He said, ‘We’re going to work on a proactive approach to help countries prepare for the emergence of infectious diseases.’” Johnson, an investigator at PREDICT for 10 years, says Carroll was a pioneer in looking beyond livestock. “Dennis saw that emerging infectious diseases, far and wide, have mostly come from wildlife, and there needed to be investment in research in the wildlife sector.” For a decade, PREDICT received annual federal funding of $15 to $20 million. In 2019, its funding wasn’t renewed. Carroll left USAID and formed a new program, the Global Virome Project, “to build on PREDICT’s scientific insights and experience,” he says.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, twa said:

are they counting day surgery facilities and such?

I can tell you this - that’s a hard sell in a hospital setting. 

it shouldn’t be. But it is. 

I have a feeling a lot of places with X beds and Y icu beds, are going to wind up figuring out what to do when patient x+1 shows up and when icu patient Y+1 shows up

the lack of preparedness and understanding of potential is baffling in some places

”we don’t have more than x beds”

fine you still need a plane when x+1 shows up. How do you not get this?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

^^^ is that most likely scenario of worst case scenerios?

I’m still open for business... I don’t have more than 10 employees... if had the ability to close and it was recommended, I probably would at this point.

the store where my company is working today... they are a national auto shop...

Cousinscowgirl (and any other small business owners), if you're a business owner, my recommendation would be to carefully document the downturn in business, including inquiries, business leads, and of course actual decrease in business.  Even if from memory, map out what it was like before the covid break out.

SBA economic loss loan is making it's way through the bureaucracy.  For those businesses not able to obtain credit elsewhere, government will back a very low interest rate loan to provide cash flow.  The expectation right now among people in the know is that applications will be pretty liberally approved, but it never hurts to have as much backup as possible.

Also, check with your state government to see if the application for a disaster area has been made by the governor.  That's the first step to making the area eligible for the loan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bearrock said:

For those businesses not able to obtain credit elsewhere, government will back a very low interest rate loan to provide cash flow. 

If you can get a higher interest loan elsewhere you are not qualified?

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm going to say same thing I said after the 2016 general after the shock wore down. Wait two years and see what happens with next major election.

Fixing the schools wont address the immediate problem, which is the GOP being in power.  Second blue wave, get the Senate back, then I'm open to predicting what we will try to change or get right.

My concern with Trumps last line of defense falling (the economy) is him blaming it on coronavirus.  I hate to say this, but a lot of folks that are going to fall for that will be dead by november anyway at this rate.

Silver linings.

50 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

This administration is full of hideous, terrible people.

give-a-pig-the-white-house.jpg

Edited by The Sisko

7 minutes ago, bearrock said:

For those businesses not able to obtain credit elsewhere, government will back a very low interest rate loan to provide cash flow. 

2 minutes ago, twa said:

Yes.  But traditionally, you go to the sba lender and put in economic loss application, the lender will determine if their own underwriting will approve another loan (traditioanl sba or private).  If not, then they underwrite you with the less strigent economic loss loan.  It's not as if you need to prove that you went to every possible source of credit.  And they are talking about cutting through even those red tapes (lot of things in flux obviously)

25 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

your going to have to get your mind out of the gutter, AMF bowling just sent me a email saying they are closing for two weeks.. till April.

no gutter just right down the middle with relentless power. every. time.

You hear that ladies?

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

no gutter just right down the middle with relentless power. every. time.

You hear that ladies?

34 minutes ago, Larry said:

Probably 98% of this message board are males who spend all day on the Internet.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, skinsfan999 said:

Doctors/nurses with coronavirus and spreading it sounds about worst case scenario as it can get.

Reality is that was inevitable theyd get it and if they are treating folks with it, its limited how much that matters unless they cant work anymore.  I havent seen evidence they can give title to someone who's already had it, some folks in here have commented about workers staying at the hospital to not bring it home, if anyone gets it, its health care works.  This sucks, no other way around it.

• Like 1