Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

11 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Let me clarify something. I'm not talking more about unrelated issues that this is exposing to people that normally have no knowledge about it. For example, kids/families needing extra food because they normally rely on school meals to provide nutrition needed in a given day. I'm talking about how people don't hesitate to spray there lawns with nasty ****ing chemicals or how we, as a society, eat like complete ****, stuff like this. In NC we still haven't expanded medicaid which is terrible for rural parts of the state, but one party won't budge. 

We, again in general as a society, are so fearful of something like Coronavirus but don't think twice about doing things that are awful for society at large. 

Frustrating, isnt it?

This is about as big a wakeup call as we've had this century.  Probably why Sanders isnt dropping out, a lot of what he wants would be very f'n useful right, but I'm not convinced folks want to have this conversation right now. 

The polls are showing they dont, get through this first spike then have that conversation.  This pandemic is a conversation forcer because its exposing pretty much every problem in our government and society that Trump didnt already.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The polls are showing they dont, get through this first spike then have that conversation.  This pandemic is a conversation forcer because its exposing pretty much every problem in our government and society that Trump didnt already.

There is unfortunately no quick remedy to a poor education system and an enormous population of idiots. Idiots who are convinced that they are in fact, not idiots. So I’m not optimistic that the warts being exposed by this crisis will be addressed. There are a few very special cases of Dunning Kruger on this board and when you think about how there’s millions of similar people just spread throughout the country... yeah I don’t expect many significant changes unless there is a major politics shift in the coming elections.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is about as big a wakeup call as we've had this century. 

Like all those kids that got shot at school! 

Edit: Actually you may be right. People found a way to ignore that. And even though lots are ignoring this, it still has the potential to get wayyyy worse than it is. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Option 3: we know a massive, infrastructure crushing outbreak is likely without aggressive action. But since we haven’t been doing widespread testing for the past 8 weeks, we have no clue where the hot spots are or how we contain them. So we do more, because the short term pain of doing more is way better than longterm consequences of not doing enough. 

Right now we’re still not doing enough. 

Seattle, Northern CA, Southern CA, New York corridor are the hot spots.  I agree re testing, but we are not completly blind and for 5 days have been semi-quarantined.  

Like I said -- are we dead men walking? We just had neighbors return from Spain (cruise) and my wife and kids were mad that I spoke to them for 5 min at 6 feet away... the customs lines at LAX were insane (3 hour wait). 

People are acting like US cases will explode in a week....

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

You might be right. I wonder if people will be as angry about it without someone in particular to blame. 

Trump is trying to get his sheep to blame China now. He is now referring to it as the China Virus because he's a ****ing piece of ****.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fergasun said:

Pretty sure they will. We already have community spread in places like Ohio and Maryland that we know of. We know multiple government officials have been closely exposed or even tested positive. 

With lots continuing to gather over the weekend all over the country it's going to get worse quickly.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There is unfortunately no quick remedy to a poor education system and an enormous population of idiots. Idiots who are convinced that they are in fact, not idiots. So I’m not optimistic that the warts being exposed by this crisis will be addressed. There are a few very special cases of Dunning Kruger on this board and when you think about how there’s millions of similar people just spread throughout the country... yeah I don’t expect many significant changes unless there is a major politics shift in the coming elections.

I'm going to say same thing I said after the 2016 general after the shock wore down. Wait two years and see what happens with next major election.

Fixing the schools wont address the immediate problem, which is the GOP being in power.  Second blue wave, get the Senate back, then I'm open to predicting what we will try to change or get right.

My concern with Trumps last line of defense falling (the economy) is him blaming it on coronavirus.  I hate to say this, but a lot of folks that are going to fall for that will be dead by november anyway at this rate.

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You might be right. I wonder if people will be as angry about it without someone in particular to blame. 

By Thursday, the president will have his people blaming anyone of chinese descent, or even if they look like they have chinese descent.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Seattle, Northern CA, Southern CA, New York corridor are the hot spots.  I agree re testing, but we are not completly blind and for 5 days have been semi-quarantined.  

Like I said -- are we dead men walking? We just had neighbors return from Spain (cruise) and my wife and kids were mad that I spoke to them for 5 min at 6 feet away... the customs lines at LAX were insane (3 hour wait). 

Those are hotspots. They aren’t *the* hot spots. 

Our case count increase is *locked in* for the next month at minimum. We’re at 5k today. It will 10k in 4 days, 20k in 8, 40k in 12, 80k in 16, and 160k in 20, 320k in 24, 640k in 28, and 1.3m in 32. Roughly a month to 1m cases, based on the doubling rate we’ve seen the past two weeks. That kind of increase would crush our healthcare system. We’d have a 10% fatality rate like Italy. 

Note: I don’t think we’ll maintain a 4 day doubling rate. But that scenario is still feasible in 6-8 weeks, and it’s still going to be horrific. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Was watching Fox last night, and the shock that Trump couldnt keep this a hoax was real and obvious.  Once that shock wears off, I expect all hands on deck to go into blaming the Dems for playing politics during the recovery. That's kinda already started.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Trump is trying to get his sheep to blame China now. He is now referring to it as the China Virus because he's a ****ing piece of ****.  

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

By Thursday, the president will have his people blaming anyone of chinese descent, or even if they look like they have chinese descent.

Conservative work roomie is still blaming it all on the media, but ill let you know when he starts blaming china. I wanna see if he brings it up on his own. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

He likes a China and US economy needs them.  They’ll realize this and go to plan B, which is always to blame illegal immigration for everything.  He and Stephen Miller will capitalize on an illegal immigrant testing positive for corona virus.  Then they’ll say the administrations plan was perfect, that they stopped flights in time, but the illegals got the virus in and doomed us.  

Edited by Destino
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Cases have already exploded but aren't testing enough to confirm the obvious. 

• Thanks 1