Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

people need to start thinking out of the box for rational ways to ease congestion and rushes, let stores restock and sanitize, ease pressure on supply lines and logistics, and quell fear by implementing and easy to understand system and assure competence at the top levels

My local grocery store just started closing at 8.  They say it's so they can do increased cleaning and stocking.  

Really wish I'd known that, before leaving work at 7:30, driving past four of their stores, and arriving at the one near my house at 8:10.  

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

My question with all these proposed bans or shut-downs, etc...

Where does this stop? We do this now, fine. In 2 years do we force citizens to panic, buy TP, and stay indoors the next time we see an illness?

The next pandemic, I hope travel to and from the epicenter is actually suspended appropriately. And we shouldn't have waited until cases exploded to put these measures in place. The moment your jurisdiction sees a case, boom, you lock it down to make sure we don't get to where Italy is now. We've been behind the 8-ball for months on this and to catch up, it will take forcible action since you know, people suck.

I've heard people say "Americans care about the greater good." Uh no, people love this country because they don't have to sacrifice for the greater good fundamentally. It's why the measures taken overseas would cause way more whining here about liberties being taken away.

• Like 6

Our federal government has a left the retail business community to figure all the **** on their own. This is a disgrace. We have pathetic levels of leadership at this point. 

they need to announce the testing plan. It needs to the same as the gas crisis. It needs to mimic the shopping plan I described

it can’t be “you state just got a 1 thousand kits and can test”

it’ll be a disaster. Long lines of infected people making non infected But concerned people in line, infected. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

My question with all these proposed bans or shut-downs, etc...

Where does this stop? We do this now, fine. In 2 years do we force citizens to panic, buy TP, and stay indoors the next time we see an illness?

Yes.  Every one of us is proposing that we shut down the entire US every time some Afghan sheep herder gets a runny nose.  

I mean, since we can't apply reasonable looking at the data, like "easily transmissible, 10x deadlier than the flu, and already overwhelming health care systems in multiple countries, including the US, which hasn't even been hit as hard as others", or something.  

• Like 2

I’m amused by how badly people are reacting to being told to just chill out at home or at least avoid crowds.  You’d think people were being told to show up at a labor camp.  Apparently some idiots are acting like staying home is letting the liberals win.  heh.  

Soon, maybe a week, it will get just a bit warmer and fishing season will begin.  No social distance problems there.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

We talking the cold or something that has the potential to kill 1m people in this country before the year is over? 

But that's kind of my point...who's deciding and how are they doing so? I think it's a slippery slope is all. Hasn't every "new" virus we've seen through the years had that potential? 

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yes.  Every one of us is proposing that we shut down the entire US every time some Afghan sheep herder gets a runny nose.  

I mean, since we can't apply reasonable looking at the data, like "easily transmissible, 10x deadlier than the flu, and already overwhelming health care systems in multiple countries, including the US, which hasn't even been hit as hard as others", or something.  

I haven't said that...I'm asking why was this one different? Is this the new norm?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Our federal government has a left the retail business community to figure all the **** on their own. This is a disgrace. We have pathetic levels of leadership at this point. 

they need to announce the testing plan. It needs to the same as the gas crisis. It needs to mimic the shopping plan I described

it can’t be “you state just got a 1 thousand kits and can test”

it’ll be a disaster. Long lines of infected people making non infected But concerned people in line, infected. 

I mentioned earlier in this thread my son had a fever on Friday night and then a milder fever yesterday. Some coughing, chills, and body aches. It’s perfectly feasible it was covid. I have no way of knowing. Tomorrow his grandmother (who thankful is only 50 and pretty healthy) is coming to watch my kids like she does every day. My son was also at preschool on Friday. If he has covid, I’d really like to know. I’d like to be able to quarantine ourselves here for the next month and prevent spread to our families, and notify the school so they can let those families know. 

But they aren’t going to test him. We haven’t traveled and we don’t know anyone that (to our knowledge) has it. I feel a social responsibility to let people know if we have it but I have no way of knowing whether we do. 

I called the VA Dept of Health but their covid hotline is only open Monday-Friday. UVA Hospital set up a clinic and hotline, I called them but they’d only talk to me if our PCP was through UVA Health. I literally just want to report symptoms in case there is another known case from his school but I can’t even do that until tomorrow at the earliest. 

We’re so screwed man. We’ve dropped the ball on this so badly. And people who worked in this field have been screaming this at the top of their lungs for years. We ignored their warnings. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I mentioned earlier in this thread my son had a fever on Friday night and then a milder fever yesterday. Some coughing, chills, and body aches. It’s perfectly feasible it was covid. I have no way of knowing. Tomorrow his grandmother (who thankful is only 50 and pretty healthy) is coming to watch my kids like she does every day. My son was also at preschool on Friday. If he has covid, I’d really like to know. I’d like to be able to quarantine ourselves here for the next month and prevent spread to our families, and notify the school so they can let those families know. 

But they aren’t going to test him. We haven’t traveled and we don’t know anyone that (to our knowledge) has it. I feel a social responsibility to let people know if we have it but I have no way of knowing whether we do. 

I called the VA Dept of Health but their covid hotline is only open Monday-Friday. UVA Hospital set up a clinic and hotline, I called them but they’d only talk to me if our PCP was through UVA Health. I literally just want to report symptoms in case there is another known case from his school but I can’t even do that until tomorrow at the earliest. 

We’re so screwed man. We’ve dropped the ball on this so badly. And people who worked in this field have been screaming this at the top of their lungs for years. We ignored their warnings. 

By the logic being requested then...shouldn't you be quarantining just to be on the safe side? I'm not judging...but this is why I think it's a slippery slope. It's pretty easy for me to say "don't take chances...keep your son home and stay home from work tomorrow" when it's not my decision to make. But when we are each faced individually with potentially overreacting to a cold, it's much more of a gray area. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I haven't said that...I'm asking why was this one different?

And I would think that things like the disease's demonstrated lethality and transmissability just might have given people here a teensy clue that maybe this case calls for it.  

Yeah, I can understand that back when it hadn't gotten here, yet, an attitude of "let's halt international travel to the one place in the world that's got it, and hope it passes us".  

Until you've got people catching the thing in multiple states, and no clear path of how they got it.  (That's another factor our leaders can look at, when deciding whether it's time for drastic measures, too.)  

Not having your first reaction being a firm commitment that you're going to just try to lie it away might help, too.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

By the logic being requested then...shouldn't you be quarantining just to be on the safe side? I'm not judging...but this is why I think it's a slippery slope. It's pretty easy for me to say "don't take chances...keep your son home and stay home from work tomorrow" when it's not my decision to make. But when we are each faced individually with potentially overreacting to a cold, it's much more of a gray area. 

exactly the problem. We’re already both working from home so the main issue is childcare. If the US was testing like SK, we could drive out today and figure out what he’s got easily. But we’re not, so we won’t know, so we’re not going to be able to take a month off of work for no reason when there’s a good chance there will be a real reason soon enough. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But that's kind of my point...who's deciding and how are they doing so? I think it's a slippery slope is all. Hasn't every "new" virus we've seen through the years had that potential? 

We had institutional knowledge from the Bush and Obama administrations to deal with epidemics (see SARS and swine flu, respectively). The current administration jettisoned that for border control (like Mexico!) and whatever the **** Jared Kushner is reading right now. So we've got some rebuilding to do plus absorbing lessons from China, South Korea, and Singapore if we want to restore some piece of mind for any future outbreak.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tshile said:

Know the stories from your parents about being assigned odd or even days to get gas in the 80’s? That’s what we need for going shopping in public. Time slots assigned to everyone. Ease rushes on stores and spread out congestion

Odd even rationing mostly occurred in the 1970s.  I don't think there was any even/odd rationing at all into the 1980s.  The last time it would have been used was the 1979 shortage, which wasn't really much of a shortage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I really think that going to church at this point is a bad idea.

I agreed. I'm here to tell them in person they use zoom for everything else, dont wait until they upper levels block service like catholic church is doing. 

Message today was trusting God to have our back in this and use faith to avoid panic.  For my anxiety, it helped, still less then 15% here today.

46 minutes ago, Larry said:

My local grocery store just started closing at 8.  They say it's so they can do increased cleaning and stocking.  

Really wish I'd known that, before leaving work at 7:30, driving past four of their stores, and arriving at the one near my house at 8:10.  

Walmart is now open from 6am to 11pm starting today; so they can do the same thing.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s a lot easier to suggest closing all service based businesses when you don’t own any of them...

“We should get paid (income assistance for employees), but y’all shouldn’t (close up shop boys)”

I'm self employed, and struggling to decide what changes I should make.  This next week, my appointments are mostly disability evaluations and mental health treatment.  The majority of people I see are taking off work to come see me, then returning to work after the appointment.  So, they are most likely to be interacting with a lot more people if I decided to cancel the appointments.  They may also feel more pressured to continue working if their disability claims are delayed.

Right now, I plan to use new writing utensils for every patient that has to fill out any paperwork, and wipe down all surfaces that a patient may come in contact with between all appointments (doors, clipboards, tables, desk, etc.).  I'm not ready to just close up shop indefinitely at this point.

• Like 1

About...3-4 days ago,I read about my old stomping grounds in Park City Utah,(Summit County). Another case of COVID-19 was discovered but it was "travel related". Residents not to be concerned about the virus at that time. They stated that they would end daily reports about testing and such and go to once a week. Then this happened yesterday. 

This happened shortly thereafter.  

Finally there was this. Just that fast. 

https://www.parkrecord.com/news/top-health-official-advises-agains-traveling-to-summit-county-as-ski-resorts-open/

Top health official advises against traveling to Summit County

The county’s top public health official recommended Saturday that those who can avoid traveling to Summit County should do so.

The statement came in a Saturday morning press conference announcing the county’s first known case of community spread of COVID-19, in which the source of the virus was not immediately known.

“If you have the option to not travel to Summit County, it’s probably wise to not do so at this point,” Summit County Health Director Rich Bullough said. “We do have community spread.”

• Like 1