Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s so insane to get your head around locking down entire countries and closing schools for a virus then has infected less than half a percent of the worlds population... 

I’m not saying that people who are experts must be over reacting, it just seems insane. 

yes it does. But the problem is the long incubation period. If this only had 1-3 day incubation period. This would be over very soon. But people have it for 10-14 days before showing symptoms. By that time 1 person could infect 100s if not thousands of people. And they can do the same.  I really think we are slowly moving towards a whole 2 week lock down. I think the administration is trying to figure out how to do it with mass riots.

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s so insane to get your head around locking down entire countries and closing schools for a virus then has infected less than half a percent of the worlds population... 

I’m not saying that people who are experts must be over reacting, it just seems insane. 

Not really.  It’s like a forest fire, but this time we’re the trees.  Either we stop the spread or the nice folks on the space station will watch us burn from the heavens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, just654 said:

yes it does. But the problem is the long incubation period. If this only had 1-3 day incubation period. This would be over very soon. But people have it for 10-14 days before showing symptoms. By that time 1 person could infect 100s if not thousands of people. And they can do the same.  I really think we are slowly moving towards a whole 2 week lock down. I think the administration is trying to figure out how to do it with mass riots.

I worry that we're all in denial about long this will actually take.....

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, just654 said:

I think the administration is trying to figure out how to do it with mass riots.

Stop telling people that it's a liberal plot, that it doesn't really hurt anybody, and they should go to work even if they're sick, might be a good start.  

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

Not really.  It’s like a forest fire, but this time we’re the trees.  Either we stop the spread or the nice folks on the space station will watch us burn from the heavens.

except most of the trees will be fine ,the underbrush will get cleared out though.

sucks to be underbrush.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28902433/jazz-donovan-mitchell-feeling-fine-coronavirus-isolation

After testing positive for the coronavirus earlier this week, Utah Jazz star Donovan Mitchell said he feels "fine" in a video released on the NBA's Twitter account Saturday afternoon.

"What's up everybody? Donovan Mitchell here. Just wanted to say thank you guys so much for your continued support, man. It means a lot to me," Mitchell said in the video.

A message from @spidadmitchell pic.twitter.com/YtChd3eNng

— NBA (@NBA) March 14, 2020

Also, the entire Raptors team was tested and we're all negative. 

You'd think that with how an NBA game goes that several would have been infected.

Apparently this isn't as contagious as many expected it to be.

21 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

And you can’t see the smoke from your hill...

Thanks to limited testing, we sitting on the hill surrounded by blinders.

16 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

My thing is, the goal isn’t to Sri the spread but to stretch the curve... so you really think flattening the curve is going to take months?

We don't know.  It would be great if that wasn't the case.  And countries like China and Korea got it done with their own approaches in much smaller window.  Let's hope that's the case here.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Apparently this isn't as contagious as many expected it to be.

It could also be that the most finely tuned athletes on the planet have much better immune systems than the average person.  It is very infectious.  We have countries after countries to prove it.

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It could also be that the most finely tuned athletes on the planet have much better immune systems than the average person.  It is very infectious.  We have countries after countries to prove it.

Or it could also be that these countries that you use as a reference aren't exactly the cleanest places on the planet?

What does surprise me though is that India isn't piling up the cases but considering they aren't particularly fond of China may have something to do with it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Or it could also be that these countries that you use as a reference aren't exactly the cleanest places on the planet?

What does surprise me though is that India isn't piling up the cases but considering they aren't particularly fond of China may have something to do with it.

This isn't a third world, sanitation issue disease.  Good grief.  Look at the hoards of European countries being shut down.  You think containment in Korea broke because they are dirty? 🙄

India had a few positives in early Feb and their containment was working (or not testing) until March.  Since March, they are now up to 97.  Again, I don't know how aggressive their testing is, especially among the vulnerable.

• Like 1