Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We never react this way to anything and this one isn't nearly as deadly.

Wrong.  Last estimate I saw, this virus is roughly 10 times as deadly as the flu.  (And more contagious.)  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Wrong.  Last estimate I saw, this virus is roughly 10 times as deadly as the flu.  (And more contagious.)  

a study I saw said you had to have prolonged contact... and apparently trump doesn’t have it despite hanging around all those dudes from Brazil...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/12/health/person-to-person-coronavirus-illinois-study/index.html

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Oh OK, can you share that? I'd also caution that we likely haven't identified everyone who has this virus, but I'm also conceding that doesn't make up for 10x the death rate. 

43 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

It's limited data but the change in slope on the US curve from the last data point is pretty ****ing terrifying.

We’re ‘Muricuh. We always have to outdo everyone else on everything.🙄

Edited by The Sisko

50 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Oh OK, can you share that? I'd also caution that we likely haven't identified everyone who has this virus, but I'm also conceding that doesn't make up for 10x the death rate. 

BusinessInsider: One chart shows how the coronavirus is more deadly than the flu even in South Korea, where the COVID-19 death rate is low.  

South Korea has reported far lower death rates from the novel coronavirus than many other countries. But even those lower rates suggest that the new disease is far more dangerous than the flu.

The following chart compares COVID-19 death rates by age in South Korea as of Thursday with death rates from the flu in the US over the course of the 2018-19 flu season, based on US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data.

The death rate they're showing is what % of people who get the disease, die?  Not % of the total population.  

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Thank you for posting that @DoneMessedUp

And it's not just death rate ... based on the European CDC data 14% of those infected develop more severe symptoms and 6% experience critical illness.

It there is widespread infection the number of patients will push our healthcare systems to the point of collapse. There simply aren't enough ICU beds, ventilators or medical staff to handle that number of critically ill people. And once significant numbers of medical staff get infected (because protective equipment is not 100%), there is real risk of catastrophic collapse of the healthcare system.

That's the scenario we are trying to avoid.

• Like 2

Yeah, so far, the kinds of things we're doing, probably aren't going to reduce the number of people who die.  But if we're lucky, it might cause the deaths/illness to get spread out over a few months, instead of a few weeks.  And, if we can make the mob hit the hospitals slower, that might well save quite a few lives.  

The superintendent for Fairfax has ordered that students be given enrichment activities to maintain the momentum of instruction but nothing can be graded... Totally optional.

Students will now be less bitter, I'd imagine.

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

a study I saw said you had to have prolonged contact... and apparently trump doesn’t have it despite hanging around all those dudes from Brazil...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/12/health/person-to-person-coronavirus-illinois-study/index.html

It only takes one cough or sneeze to get it. It's just that's more likely if you're around someone a long time.

People need to COVER THEIR DAMN FACE. And sneeze into the crux of their arm.

Looks like Spain is ready to into lockdown. That escalated really quick. 

Also: 

Carson City Nv picked up it's first presumptive case yesterday. 

37 minutes ago, techboy said:

The superintendent for Fairfax has ordered that students be given enrichment activities to maintain the momentum of instruction but nothing can be graded... Totally optional.

Students will now be less bitter, I'd imagine.

What is an enrichment activity?  

My daughters private school is switching over to E-School starting on Tuesday.  She’s much more excited about it than I am.  

• Haha 3