Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

26 minutes ago, Larry said:

Really don't get the GOP's motives in gutting the coronavirus relief bill.  Surely they have to know that if this thing blows up (and it's guaranteed to blow up, the question is whether we get 10,000 dead, or 100,000, or more), then their Party is going to be hurt worse than the public is.  

And no, there isn't a single R on Capital Hill who gives a **** about the deficit.  

I'm seeing Gen Jack D Ripper:  Mr. President, we are now facing two alternatives:  One where we've got 20 million dead, and one where we've got 200 million dead.  

there will always be ignorant rubes to feed their propaganda to. They want to protect the money that drives their power 

4 hours ago, Larry said:

You feel like answering your own question, and sharing your number for that question?

going from memory it was about a 1,000

there are going to be deaths AND we have a functioning health AND civilian response.

ya'll sure are pissy when I'm pointing out there will be more deaths than h1n1.

I will be honest and say this virus and the way the world is treating this has caught me off guard. Like -- this is being treated as a civilization thinner.  And it just popped up slowly out of nowhere.  

I agree with assymptomatic people spreading it... probably for weeks.  We had internstional visitors at our work this week from Europe... they flew in... meeting with the guy whose cubicle is next to me for days.  

I wad just making jokes about it... dang...

2 hours ago, Destino said:

What is an enrichment activity? 

Officially, it's an optional activity that helps students keep up while they're out and eases the eventual transition back.

Unofficially, it's something students will probably ignore.

I forsee a lot of "here's a Khan Academy video" from my colleagues. 

Hey.. We don't want to work during "snow days" either.😁

I'll probably curate some fun/interesting/topical videos, though. Lots of good stuff out there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, techboy said:

Officially, it's an optional activity that helps students keep up while they're out and eases the eventual transition back.

There is the story of the young Freeman Dyson who wanted to understand Einstein and was told that he needed to learn calculus.

So during his Christmas vacation he mastered calculus from

a mail-order textbook, working 14 hours a day.

I’m sure your students will be similarly dedicated.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FrFan said:

98% of people who have caught the coronavirus are cured": the update from Dr. Gérald Kierzek

Dr. Gérald Kierzek explains why the "climate of fear" around the coronavirus is exaggerated and why the fact of finding the patient zero "is not the real problem ".

I have no idea whether that person is generally credible or not, but the information in that article is wrong.  R0 of flu is 1.3, not 2 to 3.  It's simply inaccurate to compare the two's rate of transmission.

Also, 98% cure rate is 2% mortality rate, which is pretty catastrophic for a very infectious disease.  

I also see that the article is from Feb 28th.  I wonder how the good doctor feels about covid now.

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I will be honest and say this virus and the way the world is treating this has caught me off guard. Like -- this is being treated as a civilization thinner.  And it just popped up slowly out of nowhere.  

I agree with assymptomatic people spreading it... probably for weeks.  We had internstional visitors at our work this week from Europe... they flew in... meeting with the guy whose cubicle is next to me for days.  

I wad just making jokes about it... dang...

If the Obama administration team was still in there, you'd probably could still make jokes.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

First coronavirus infection in the US was reported on January 21, 2020 for comparison.

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I have no idea whether that person is generally credible or not, but the information in that article is wrong.  R0 of flu is 1.3, not 2 to 3.  It's simply inaccurate to compare the two's rate of transmission.

Also, 98% cure rate is 2% mortality rate, which is pretty catastrophic for a very infectious disease.  

I also see that the article is from Feb 28th.  I wonder how the good doctor feels about covid now.

Minister of health just confirmed the 98% 4 days ago

I'm living in the first outbreak area, this number is actually accurate so far (from nurse girlfriend)

Edited by FrFan

11 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk (maybe 90%?) if the people who've caught it, still have it.  Doesn't recovery take like a month?  What percentage of COVID patients caught it in the last month?  

Now, if he wants to say that 98% aren't dead yet?  Probably true.  At least, I wouldn't have trouble believing it.  

Edit:  I remember reading that, out of all the people in the US who get shot, 92% of them survive.  

92% of all people who've been shot, recover!  Step right up to get shot!  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FrFan said:

98% of people who have caught the coronavirus are cured": the update from Dr. Gérald Kierzek

Dr. Gérald Kierzek explains why the "climate of fear" around the coronavirus is exaggerated and why the fact of finding the patient zero "is not the real problem ".

Death toll over here : 91 people 71 of them aged 75+

The thing is there are about 7.5 billion people on the planet. Say about 25% of us get the virus (I'm guessing here), then with a 2% mortality rate, that's 37.5 million deaths.

8 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Minister of health just confirmed the 98% 4 days ago

I'm living in the first outbreak area, this number is actually accurate so far (from nurse girlfriend)

Right.  What I'm saying is that doctor seemingly down playing the virus because the mortality rate is 2% is being stupid.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, London Kev said:

The thing is there are about 7.5 billion people on the planet. Say about 25% of us get the virus (I'm guessing here), then with a 2% mortality rate, that's 37.5 million deaths.

COVID-19 Cases Continue to Fall in China.

8 minutes ago, FrFan said:

COVID-19 Cases Continue to Fall in China.

Yes, they proved that draconian quarantine works.  South Korea proved massive testing and tracing works.  I haven't seen a case of minimizing the gravity of a "98% cure rate" disease work yet.  I'm glad to see the French government isn't going to try be the first (wish I could say the same for UK).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Yes, they proved that draconian quarantine works.  South Korea proved massive testing and tracing works.  I haven't seen a case of minimizing the gravity of a "98% cure rate" disease work yet.  I'm glad to see the French government isn't going to try be the first (wish I could say the same for UK).

I'd rather look at how South Korea is handling this, I dont trust China. Iran is making mass graves and we know because they are rushing so we can see them from space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I'd rather look at how South Korea is handling this, I dont trust China. Iran is making mass graves and we know because they are rushing so we can see them from space.

I agree.  I think we should get to massively testing all suspicious cases.  

Damn it....

• Like 1

Just now, zskins said:

Just now?

There arent enough test kits to prove where it is.  Like its not in Africa. Some of those countries have bigger problems.

Track death rates, too many asymptomatic carriers to matter how many people "have it" now, imo.