Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

36 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Maybe they got corona confused with crohns...

Just thinking about how a lot of conservatives are pointing out the h1n1 virus and how it had 90,000 deaths and no one shut everything down.

If we assume corona is no worse than h1n1.... lets say, we shut everything down and only 10k die. 

Is it not worth it to save 80k lives? 

president trumps leadership saved 80k lives? Not worth it? Meh...

Wiki attributes H1N1 with 12K deaths in US.  I'm not sure where the 90K figure comes from, but that might combine the 12K that died from H1N1 and the people in the US who died from normal seasonal flu, which is in a wide range in the five figures each flu season.

What is freaking people out about Coronavirus is the death rate. I'm not sure what the death rate was initially estimated to be for H1N1, but it turned out to be lower than seasonal flu. As we all know, the mortality rate for Coronavirus is being estimated at 1 percent, 10x that of seasonal flu. In the US alone, if you take the number of positive cases so far and divide by deaths, its a 2 percent rate. 

And about 1000 schools did get shut down for a while for H1N1.

Edited by hail2skins
  • Thanks 1

Just saw part of a news conference (from 4PM yesterday) from Florida capitol.  

Surgeon General of FL was announcing that almost all of Florida cases were people with recent travel, or major exposure to someone who had traveled.  

I'm wondering if he just handed out fase information.  (Or at least, a ststement which will cause lots of listeners to hear something that's not true.)  

As I understand it, currently, one of the requirements to get tested is travel or exposure to someone who's traveled.  If there's no travel, you can't get tested.  

If you only allow people who are 6' 3" or taller to get tested, then all of the people who test positive will be 6' 3" or taller.  That doesn't maen if you're 6' 1", then you're safe.  It just means you can't get tested.  

• Like 5

there is a bias in limited testing, but those with symptoms and known contact with travelers are also tested.

it undoubtedly is mainly in foreign travelers until it spreads from them

Larry I know for a fact that is how several health departments are still doing it,despite evidence around the country that community spread is increasing. Locally,one of the big hospitals here took that off their screening questionnaire. Good thing too because within 2 days they got their first positive community spread test.  

Also. 

• Like 1

Roommate is a Respiratory Therapist at the major teaching hospital nearby.  

Few days ago, her work announced that they were waiving their normal overtime rules.  And if you pull overtime and work the MICU, they'll pay a bonus of $10/hour on top of the overtime.  (Also for some other units, but not all.)  

I made the comment that if I were in charge, I'd be advising people to take time off and rest, because they might be working 7 days a week in 2-3 weeks.  

She says they can't.  They're already shorthanded, right now.  Despite many people working 6 (12 hour) days a week.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I ain't gonna die bro, if that is what you are implying.  I am 37 years old.

Wasn't what I was implying but... 

Patient One in Italy is a 38 year old marathon runner with no underlying health conditions. He was in ICU on life support for almost 3 weeks

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11139314/italys-coronavirus-patient-one-38-finally-taken-off-life-support-18-days-after-marathon-runner-was-struck-down

Edited by DoneMessedUp
  • Like 1

South Korea was doing a heroic job controlling #COVID for the first 30 patients. Then #Patient31 did not adhere to #socialdistancing. Caused 2 clusters responsble for 80% of South Koreas infections. Don't be #Patient31.

Whatever you do, Republicans, make sure that you don't do anything that might encourage people to comply with a quarantine order.  It might cost a corporation some money.  

Sister in law in Washington said they ran out of masks on Mon. On Tues, through Thurs, they used the ones they could get from vets and dentists. She saw a patient Monday that had the worst cough she has seen. By Thursday, 4 people in her office were out sick. She closed her office on Friday.

Her descriptions of the conditions are terrifying, and she says they arent getting tests or ways to treat patients with what they think is coronavirus. She is hearing from patients whom she can't help or see with other conditions. She says they are already rationing care, making decisions on who can be treated based on things like age and pre existing conditions.

She has been making phone calls at every free moment to try and convince others outside her Washington area they need to treat this as the most serious community health situation she has ever seen.

She realized how serious she thinks it is when she realized treating this will end her current medical practice she spent 18 years cultivating and then realized that meant little to her in light of what she is seeing.

• Sad 2

Wish I thought we were at the spike. I dont think we are near the top yet. I think we are experiencing exponential growth in the problem. A lot of people still dont see it as that big a deal, because nobody in their imediate circle has suffered for it yet.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The data and first hand accounts in US point to this spiking here.  Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

not sure what you are asking, of course it will spike here,,,,how high and when or if there are more than 1 is tbd

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DoneMessedUp said:

Wasn't what I was implying but... 

Patient One in Italy is a 38 year old marathon runner with no underlying health conditions. He was in ICU on life support for almost 3 weeks

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11139314/italys-coronavirus-patient-one-38-finally-taken-off-life-support-18-days-after-marathon-runner-was-struck-down

It's cool I got you.  I'm guessing you were implying there would be more deaths than what I indicated.  And yes, you are right, the virus can affect anyone at any age.  Another reason young people should be more careful about social gatherings.  Aside from spreading the virus to the more vulnerable, they should be concerned about their own health as well.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gbear said:

Wish I thought we were at the spike. I dont think we are near the top yet. I think we are experiencing exponential growth in the problem. A lot of people still dont see it as that big a deal, because nobody in their imediate circle has suffered for it yet.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that whatever we do, won't have any effect for a month.  

It's already guaranteed to get worse for the next month.  (Vastly worse).  The decisions we make now will determine what it will do, a month from now.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gbear said:

Right, at this point that's where its heading, and like you said, those in denial jus havent seen it with their own eyes yet.  They will, it sounds like at this point we all will.

I dont believe the damage from getting out the way is worth it, jus feels like that's what's coming.

3 minutes ago, twa said:

not sure what you are asking, of course it will spike here,,,,how high and when or if there are more than 1 is tbd

I'm talking about this dream of blunting the curve, it doesnt sound like that's going to happen.  If the goal was to prevent hospital systems from getting overwhelmed and people dying because they dont want to waste limited resources is already happening in some places, that's what's kicking Italys ass right now.

I'm talking about this dream of blunting the curve, it doesnt sound like that's going to happen.  If the goal was to prevent hospital systems from getting overwhelmed and people dying because they dont want to waste limited resources is already happening in some places, that's what's kicking Italys ass right now.

bending the curve is possible as has been shown elsewhere, as is lowering a spike.

1 minute ago, twa said:

bending the curve is possible as has been shown elsewhere, as is lowering a spike.

I'm not asking if it's possible anymore, I'm asking if that's what's going to happen.  Bending the curve, it doesnt look like that's what's happening out there in Washington state at all.

2 minutes ago, twa said:

Is bending the curve possible?  Yes.  It's been demonstrated.  

Is it possible, while doing as pathetically little as we are?  Nowhere close.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm not asking if it's possible anymore, I'm asking if that's what's going to happen.  Bending the curve, it doesnt look like that's what's happening out there in Washington state at all.

washington spiked mainly in one location, there are active measures to bend that type elsewhere.

they did next to nothing to bend it at that point.

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

Is bending the curve possible?  Yes.  It's been demonstrated.  

Is it possible, while doing as pathetically little as we are?  Nowhere close.  

what more would you suggest?