Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

That's also why any shutdown has to be combined with a direct financial bailout for the people.  If we are going to pause for two weeks, it has to be a real pause, not just pause for income and work but bills keep coming in

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

That's also why any shutdown has to be combined with a direct financial bailout for the people.  If we are going to pause for two weeks, it has to be a real pause, not just pause for income and work but bills keep coming in

Duke energy is suspending disconnections, for example.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

That's also why any shutdown has to be combined with a direct financial bailout for the people.  If we are going to pause for two weeks, it has be a real pause, not just pause for income and work but bills keep coming in

Italy recently passed a law suspending all mortgage payments for six months.  (I assume it's a case along the lines of "the government will make interest-only payments for six months, and all mortgages will be extended for six months".  At least, that's the way I'd do it.)  

And I seem to remember that the House just verwhelmingly passed a law that would have mandated a lot of income security.  (The R's in the Senate gutted it, by exempting all big businesses, and any small business that pays Trump for an exemption.)  

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

Italy recently passed a law suspending all mortgage payments for six months.  (I assume it's a case along the lines of "the government will make interest-only payments for six months, and all mortgages will be extended for six months".  At least, that's the way I'd do it.)  

And I seem to remember that the House just verwhelmingly passed a law that would have mandated a lot of income security.  (The R's in the Senate gutted it, by exempting all big businesses, and any small business that pays Trump for an exemption.)  

Those are all good and necessary steps.  I hope the House views the recently passed bill as just minimum first step.  We may need a whole lot more pretty soon.

My sister and her partner just escaped Chicago.  They cut short a visit to Spain to get back to the U.S. as soon as possible.  American Airlines in Spain was less than helpful in changing their flight.  The agent literally shrugged when they asked for help and told them to call customer service.  This after they had been on the phone for 4 hours the day before trying to change flights. They ended up buying a flight on British Airways into Chicago, one of the allowed arrival points, with a connecting flight home to the southwest. 

She is an experienced traveler who has been all over the world.  She said she has never experienced anything like the dystopian nightmare at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. They were herded with some 2,500 other people shoulder to shoulder through snaking lines in a poorly ventilated room to, as it turned out, passport control.  That lasted more than two hours.  Then the ICE officer behind the desk got up and personally walked them to a second line, which started back in the bowels of the airport and ran parallel to the first line back into the same poorly ventilated room. That line proceeded through twice as many rope lines (another 2.5 hours) to another set of immigration officials who asked the same questions the first guy did and ran their passports again. (By this time they had long missed their connecting flight.) They also had to fill out a form, obviously hastily created, titled “FOR INDIVIDUALS RETURNING FROM MAINLAND CHINA,” which just caused more confusion since they landed from Spain. It asked if they were exhibiting symptoms or had knowingly been in the company of someone with coronavirus.  From there, they went through a third line, and after another ling wait were met by masked and gowned CDC officials, who asked questions, took their temperature and handed out a packet of information. They finally got to baggage claim, which was a sea of abandoned luggage, rented a car and got the hell away from the airport. They stayed overnight in Chicago and decided in the morning to drive 18 1/2 hours home instead of going back to the airport and trying to get on another flight.

ohare7-1.jpeg?w=778

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

15 minutes ago, DoneMessedUp said:

The European CDC site is updated for today but the numbers for Italy look too low at 'only' 173 new deaths. The 368 number looks more in line with what I expected with recent growth rates. That is a 29% growth rate in the total number of deaths from yesterday. The prior day's growth rate in deaths was 25%. And the day before that was 23%.

Just to be clear, the COVID-19 pandemic in Italy is about 16 days ahead of where we are at. The number of deaths in Italy has increased by 250% since Tuesday.

If social distancing and other measures do not have the desired impact, and given the 5X greater population ... well you can do the math yourselves.

Edited by Corcaigh

Reuters: The Korean clusters - How coronavirus cases exploded in South Korean churches and hospitals

South Korea has announced hundreds of new coronavirus cases in the space of only a few days and raised its infectious disease alert to the highest level. The surge in cases has centred around two main clusters from a church in Daegu city and a nearby hospital. The new outbreak has pushed South Korea’s tally of confirmed cases much higher than anywhere else outside of China.

The virus was first confirmed in the country on Jan. 20 when a 35-year-old Chinese woman who flew from Wuhan, China to Incheon international airport, which serves Seoul, was isolated upon entry into the country. In the four weeks following the incident, South Korea managed to avoid a major outbreak with only 30 people contracting the virus, despite many interactions between those later confirmed as being sick and hundreds more people being identified as contacts of the sick patients.

This changed with the emergence of “Patient 31.”

Looks like, Patient 31 went to a doctor, then a hospital, with respiratory symptoms.  Doctors at the hospital advised her to be tested.  She refused.  Went to a lunch buffet at a hotel with a friend.  Went to two church services at a nearby church.  

SK CDC has identified 9,300 people who have attended one of those church services, 1,200 of which have complained of flulike symptoms.  There are currently (the article was updated March 3) 2,400 cases associated with that church.  And another 120 in a hospital at a nearby town.  (Members of the church attended a funeral service at that hospital, so they may be linked.  But it's not proven.)  

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

not even a global pandemic can force him to focus

Garbage.  He's completely focused.  

On himself.  

Edited by Larry
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, PCS said:

They're issuing masks to hospital workers where my wife works. They are responsible for those masks. Short supply and probably dreadful expectations on need

I am not happy. 

the stat I heard the other day was that if every US healthcare worker started wearing masks our stockpile of masks would be exhausted in 48 hours

obviously not “every Us healthcare worker” is an accurate number just gives you an idea. Probably got about a week of masks in stock. 

Based on Bowser's announcement, our politicians still don't get it. Unless she lacks the power to close bars and think imposing restrictions will cause them to shut anyway.

Ireland has closed pubs and bars effective this evening.

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

the stat I heard the other day was that if every US healthcare worker started wearing masks our stockpile of masks would be exhausted in 48 hours

obviously not “every Us healthcare worker” is an accurate number just gives you an idea. Probably got about a week of masks in stock. 

There are some ****wits in TN and Ohio with a storage locker who could help. 

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 3

Just had to walk away from a couple of co workers before snapping. This will all blow over as soon as it goes dormant. Its just a social media over reaction. It took the government six months to react to h1n1 but that wasn't the same as the swine flu. America has become self sufficient the past three years,ect. I suggested educating themselves on this virus. I am. Evidently not. Walked out

Breathe 1,2,3

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

How to you know the stuff you are about to get doesn't have the virus sitting on it...lol

easy enough to sanitize your hands and the stuff in most cases

btw....I was wondering if the WH and such were utilizing far spectrum uv or other options to reduce risks?

• Like 1