Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

Guarding them from what? Covid-19? Have we developed virus piercing 5.56 rounds now? 

Dude, you ain't there to guard anyone. You're there to feel powerful and manly standing around with a rifle in camo and holding a flag. 

Also, if the police ordered them to disperse if things got out of hand what exactly is this dude going to do? Start shooting cops? 

• Thanks 3

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-20/coronavirus-serology-testing-la-county

Los Angeles County's antibody results are about the same as Santa Clara's in terms of percentage: an estimated 2.8-5.6% of the population is likely to have the virus already, about 221,000 to 442,000 people in total. There are currently 12,000 positive active cases in the county, so we're talking a number 18 to 36 times above what has been reported.

There have been 600 confirmed deaths in the county, so if we stick to the middle of our speculative COVID-19 total (331,500), we get an IFR of .00181. The current CFR is  5%. One problem with speculating IFR using these numbers is that we have no idea how many COVID-19 deaths went unaccounted for leading up to the lockdown. Almost certainly hundreds. Still, we're talking about a CFR that is higher by orders of magnitude than the IFR because of insufficient testing and asymptomatic cases.

Keep testing. Keep researching. There's so much that we still don't know about this virus.

17 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Los Angeles County's antibody results are about the same as Santa Clara's in terms of percentage: an estimated 2.8-5.6% of the population is likely to have the virus already,

Absolutely stunned it's that low.  I guess one takeaway from that is how much knowing is better than assuming.  

So, let's do some more assuming.  :) 

If it's that low, then either this thing is a lot less contagious that I thought, or distancing has been vastly better than I thought.  

If it's that low, then imagine what we'd be looking like, now, if it was more like 20%.  

If it's that low, then relaxing distancing would be near-suicidal.  

Love to see what the number is for, say, NYC.  

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

If you think these protests are dumb or stupid you're missing the forest for the trees.

Every protestor out there is a Trump voter actively campaigning for their candidate.

We'll be calling these same people stupid when Trump is re-elected. 

If there is any justice in the world at all, there will be enough less of them due to their own ignorance that he will not get reelected. I would never root for anyone to die. But I will have a hard time feeling too bad for any of these idiots who make the decision to ignore protecting themselves and it comes back  on them. 

You can't fix stupid!  

We're approaching new levels of stupid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Absolutely stunned it's that low.  I guess one takeaway from that is how much knowing is better than assuming.  

So, let's do some more assuming.  :) 

If it's that low, then either this thing is a lot less contagious that I thought, or distancing has been vastly better than I thought.  

If it's that low, then imagine what we'd be looking like, now, if it was more like 20%.  

If it's that low, then relaxing distancing would be near-suicidal.  

Love to see what the number is for, say, NYC.  

We don't really know the numbers/percentages because of lack of testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That dumb son of a **** Kemp was on tv like last week saying he didnt know asymptomatic people could spread the disease, now he's using authority he should not have to make a decision that will kill people. People beyond the mere idiots who will cheer his stupidity

I want off this ****ing rock man.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If there is any justice in the world at all, there will be enough less of them due to their own ignorance that he will not get reelected. I would never root for anyone to die. But I will have a hard time feeling too bad for any of these idiots who make the decision to ignore protecting themselves and it comes back  on them. 

You can't fix stupid!  

Even in the event they don't die, they can pass it along to people who can, and overwhelm the system - which was the entire point of shutting everything down to begin with.  Do these people not ask themselves why Trump locked everything down for 45 days to begin with?  If he's your great, intelligent, fearless leader, why was he 'duped' by the science and medical professionals to shut everything down in the first place?

And while I can't root for people to die, I can root for them to get sick and if they die, umm...err....oh well?

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

You can't fix stupid!  

Looking at all those people on the street gunned and whatever **** they bring. This looks like riots in the making to me. And beginning of a Civil War.

With an asshole as Trump at the helm, you can expect him to play it the right way for him and do nothing. Cancel incoming election and declare himself President for Life. Which won't end well.

Then I would suggest many of you to find a home elsewhere, because it's really looking ugly from the outside.

Edited by Wildbunny
pretty... ugly... not pretty... Getting tired...
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

People need to look up Bayes' theorem.  if a test is 99% sensitive and 99% specific, and the population  sick is 1%, what is the probability that a person who tested positive  is actually sick?  The number is 1 out of 2.  

So what happens is that when the % of sick people is really low, the false positives are very high.

I looked at the  numbers yesterday. If the actual sick is 2%, the positive will be slightly more than 60%.  Now, if the sick is 5%, then the test will be correct more than 90% of the time.

If I had to guess, not many sick people out there. I don't buy the 2 to 5%.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

I'm sure this will go just fine!

Kemp is taking one for the team. This is the Trump campaign test case.

As far as the places opening, one of the last places I’d go to with this going on is to the gym. **** that.

• Like 2

Fauci warns protests will 'backfire,' slow economic recovery

Anthony Fauci, the top government official on infectious diseases, warned Monday that protests in opposition to governors' stay-at-home orders meant to slow the spread of the coronavirus will "backfire" and further delay the reopening of the economy.

"Clearly this is something that is hurting from the standpoint of economics and the standpoint of things that have nothing to do with the virus, but unless we get the virus under control, the real recovery economically is not going to happen," Fauci said on "Good Morning America."

"So what you do if you jump the gun and go into a situation where you have a big spike, you’re going to set yourself back," he said. "So as painful as it is to go by the careful guidelines of gradually phasing into a reopening, it’s going to backfire. That’s the problem."

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1