Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Except we’re a lot worse off than most countries, if not all of them now.

Also after thinking about this, if would make sense to restrict travel, and people coming in, but banning immigration and processing of visas and such seems like something meant to be more long term and not just a temporary thing.

TONS of critical positions in this country are typically filled by immigrants. Both seasonal and long term. Doctors, nurses, agriculture workers.

This has the potential to cause significant supply chain disruption in agriculture, as well as devastate already understaffed rural healthcare systems. 

Certainly there are plenty of folks out of work right now, but you can’t just decide you’re going to be a nurse one day because your Uber or waiter income is drying up. Agriculture maybe, but color me skeptical that we’re going to see waves of people moving to CA’s Central Valley to pick fruit in 120 degree heat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

In fairness, there's logic to the immigration ban (putting aside racism, agendas, etc.) even if Trump thinks the situation is improving. If you believe the virus is under control in the US, then isolating the country when you reopen it is logical. 

If the motive is infection control, then the idea of "I'm gonna ban everybody who wants to come here permanently (including the ones already here), but folks who are only coming here for a few days or months are all fine" doesn't make much sense.  

Now, if the motive is "there's gonna be a huge problem with unemplyed Americans for the next few years, so we should put a halt to non-Americans coming here to take jobs, but the ones who are just coming here to spend money are fine" makes some sense, though.  

• Like 1

I hate to say it but i think if we see another spike in this virus, we won't go to another lockdown.  

26 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

TONS of critical positions in this country are typically filled by immigrants. Both seasonal and long term. Doctors, nurses, agriculture workers.

This has the potential to cause significant supply chain disruption in agriculture, as well as devastate already understaffed rural healthcare systems. 

Certainly there are plenty of folks out of work right now, but you can’t just decide you’re going to be a nurse one day because your Uber or waiter income is drying up. Agriculture maybe, but color me skeptical that we’re going to see waves of people moving to CA’s Central Valley to pick fruit in 120 degree heat. 

Everyone knows most of those folks in the CA fields are illegals.  This ban has nothing to do with people doing jobs that lazy americans won't do. 

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

I hate to say it but i think if we see another spike in this virus, we won't go to another lockdown.  

I could easily see that.  (Both parts.)  

I'm absolutely certain that the right wing spin machine will be pushing for that.  They think unemployment hurts their chances to retain power more than dead people.  (And that is the only thing they care about.)  

And after Trump getting elected, I'm not confident that the right wing spin machine won't be the one that our government(s) pay attention to.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

It's already clear that the phases of re-opening that Trump was touting were just put out there to make it appear as if he has some measured approach to re-open the country.  The GA governor has already admitted the #'s will spike with re-opening.  Trump has already pinned re-opening on the governors vs. himself.  So I'd say it's a safe bet that we will never go back on lockdown no matter what happens and Trump will point the fingers everywhere but at himself, per usual.

49 minutes ago, Larry said:

Now, if the motive is "there's gonna be a huge problem with unemplyed Americans for the next few years, so we should put a halt to non-Americans coming here to take jobs, but the ones who are just coming here to spend money are fine" makes some sense, though.  

Again, the bulk of foreigners coming here for employment are on non-immigrant visas lasting up to six years. If the concern is related to high unemployment rates, immigrants are mostly irrelevant, except where foreign entrepreneurs 'buy in' for legal presence to set up companies here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

In fairness, there's logic to the immigration ban (putting aside racism, agendas, etc.) even if Trump thinks the situation is improving. If you believe the virus is under control in the US, then isolating the country when you reopen it is logical. 

As someone pointed out, Trump is banning immigration, but not other international travel.  So the order is meaningless in terms of fighting the pandemic. He's using a worldwide crisis as an excuse to a throw an election-year political bone to his base.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

As someone pointed out, Trump is banning immigration, but not other international travel.  So the order is meaningless in terms of fighting the pandemic. He's using a worldwide crisis as an excuse to a throw an election-year political bone to his base.

international traffic has been both restricted and banned from many countries

1 hour ago, visionary said:

For profit health care FTW!

The invisible middle finger of the free market.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I could easily see that.  (Both parts.)  

I'm absolutely certain that the right wing spin machine will be pushing for that.  They think unemployment hurts their chances to retain power more than dead people.  (And that is the only thing they care about.)  

And after Trump getting elected, I'm not confident that the right wing spin machine won't be the one that our government(s) pay attention to.  

The problem with that (and which Trump and his band of chuckleheads seemingly fail to grasp) is that in order to get the economy "going" again, you need a couple of pretty major things...one is workers and two is customers. If everything opens up, the virus spikes again, and employees are getting sick and can't come to work, that breaks things. If the customers get sick or are still too worried to go out, that breaks things. 

Trump's magical thinking that somehow everything will just go back to normal as soon as things open back up is so dense. 

12 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Stephen Miller is back from his Transylvania honeymoon.

You know that dude popped the world's most epic 2 inch boner when Trump gave this immigration ban a green light. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

"Well, this spike proves that the shutdown didn't work, anyway,"  

I don't think that was the point of the shutdown. Wasn't it to allow the medical community to get enough of the resources in place to deal with the pandemic? The numbers were going to happen regardless of any government actions. Remember, the point was to flatten the curve, not stop it.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

I don't think that was the point of the shutdown. Wasn't it to allow the medical community to get enough of the resources in place to deal with the pandemic? The numbers were going to happen regardless of any government actions. Remember, the point was to flatten the curve, not stop it.

If you haven't noticed all these temporary hospitals aren't getting town down.  We are going to open back up and the fall out will be what it will be.  It's really was always going to be that way.

Hawaii visitor with no lodging arrangements is sent back to mainland via new program

•  
  •  

The Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii used its newly formed COVID-19 flight assistance program to send back a visitor from Denver Thursday.

The program, which is funded with a grant from the Hawaii Tourism Authority, aims to ensure that travelers to Hawaii don’t stay here unless they have the resources to follow a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine. Visitors to Hawaii are required to bear all quarantine expenses, including lodging and food delivery.

Some 448 visitors, who flew into Hawaii on the first two days of a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine, have finished the process. If they are still in Hawaii, now they can have as much freedom as “non-essential worker” locals, which isn’t much.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/04/10/breaking-news/hawaii-visitor-with-no-lodging-arrangements-is-sent-back-to-mainland-via-new-program/

1 hour ago, twa said:

international traffic has been both restricted and banned from many countries

My friend's wife who got stuck in Pakistan is coming back home tomorrow. Us citizens and green card holders are being let back in but have to follow self quarantine procedure of staying home for 14 days though. They will also be screened at the airport as well. 

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

My friend's wife who got stuck in Pakistan is coming back home tomorrow. Us citizens and green card holders are being let back in but have to follow self quarantine procedure of staying home for 14 days though. They will also be screened at the airport as well. 

Yeah, wouldn't want her bringing that nasty germ into our nice, virus-free country, would we?  

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yeah, wouldn't want her bringing that nasty germ into our nice, virus-free country, would we?  

my friend and his wife are stuck in Hawaii till the shutdown is lifted,despite passing the quarantine time non essential travel is forbidden 

4 minutes ago, twa said:

non essential travel is forbidden 

And yet, apparently non-essential travel to Hawaii is allowed.  If the tourist has enough money to pay for a hotel and room service for two weeks.  

According to an article which you posted, in this thread, less than an hour ago.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1