Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

14 minutes ago, twa said:

Did someone say that?

1 hour ago, twa said:

Job losses cause extreme suffering. Every 1 percent hike in the unemployment rate will likely produce a 3.3 percent increase in drug-overdose deaths and a 0.99 percent increase in suicides, according to data from the National Bureau of Economic Research and the medical journal Lancet.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/14/we-must-count-the-deaths-from-shutdowns-as-well-as-from-coronavirus/

1 hour ago, twa said:

the flattening the curve does not reduce deaths except from hospital overload(which we are below)

- - - 

8 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

One way to make the consequences of their actions look better is to suppress testing.  Less tests ==> people being sick/dead from "unspecified causes" instead of due to Covid.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

One way to make the consequences of their actions look better is to suppress testing.  Less tests ==> people being sick/dead from "unspecified causes" instead of due to Covid.  

seems a weak assertion, does more testing result in deaths being labeled simply from the virus then?

are you saying that is why NY deaths from it are higher?....more tests there?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, twa said:

good luck with that with the asymptomatic rates this seems to have, which also bodes ill for a effective vaccine from what I hear(though the antibody issues are still unclear)

I still finds it interesting that people talks about "when we'll have a vaccine".

The list of Virus without a vaccine is quite long...

The most famous one being HIV...

So there's absolutely no guarantee that we'll have one any time soon...

1 hour ago, twa said:

managing risks is a factor in most things.

OK which risks are you talking about? Yours or people you don't know and thus don't care about.

It's easy managing risks of people's life you'll never met.

It's another if you're managing your own risk and kids/relatives/friends...

In the second case, people tend to generally takes no risk.

First case? Most simply don't care at all...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hooper said:

Will be interesting to see if it leads to states protecting their borders in some way. Nothing would surprise me. “Build that wall” might take on a whole new meaning soon if cases explode in red states. 

Wouldn't that be unconstitutional? I actually don't know the answer to that and researching the question doesn't lead to conclusive answers. 

56 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

^

No Tests

No Vaccine

No Masks

Yeah, that's the problem.

These people didn't pay attention in school and anything Darwin said. Survival of the fittest. 

I will stay home and be fit... while these stupid morons die. 

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Trump always brings up the Spanish flu when talking about this, however it seems he must have only read half the footnotes on the 

I would consider it an accomplishment if he read half of anything

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Wouldn't that be unconstitutional? I actually don't know the answer to that and researching the question doesn't lead to conclusive answers. 

The constitution hasn’t mattered much to the feds as of the late, so why should the states let it get in the way?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Trump always brings up the Spanish flu when talking about this, however it seems he must have only read half the footnotes on the subject.

Somebody told him to mention it.  He doesn't even know why.  

Supposedly, his whole fixation with his wall?  His handlers wanted him to stress immigration, because they thought that was an issue that would get them votes.  But Trump wasn't able to lern even a single bullet point about immigration.  So the staff started using "wall" as a reminder to talk about immigration.  He did, and now we're stuck building a literal wall.  

• Sad 1

Lone passenger on U.S. flight gets VIP treatment: 'Welcome aboard, Bob'

A man on a Southwest Airlines flight from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Louis on Thursday night didn't need a seat in first class to receive VIP treatment.

That's because he was the only passenger on the plane.

Bob Pitts documented some of the flight in a series of videos.

"We're going on our little flight from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Louis," Pitts said from his aisle seat. "It's about 8:30 and I'm the only person on the plane."

"It's a very, very, very unique experience," he said.

As unique as it may have been for Pitts, airline travel has dropped so precipitously that even with reduced flights, some of those planes that remain in the air apparently have fewer passengers.

The Transportation Security Administration said this week the number of people choosing to fly has plummeted over the last few months as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Airlines for America, an industry lobbying group that represents Southwest and other major carriers, said passenger volume is down 97 percent to a level not seen since 1954.

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

I still finds it interesting that people talks about "when we'll have a vaccine".

The list of Virus without a vaccine is quite long...

The most famous one being HIV...

So there's absolutely no guarantee that we'll have one any time soon...

OK which risks are you talking about? Yours or people you don't know and thus don't care about.

It's easy managing risks of people's life you'll never met.

It's another if you're managing your own risk and kids/relatives/friends...

In the second case, people tend to generally takes no risk.

First case? Most simply don't care at all...

Hmm. You suggest their might not be a vaccine. Then suggest the only way to fight it justly is to close everything down (eg, manage the risk by keeping everyone as safe as possible, keeping people in quarantine, etc...) and suggest that reopening stuff is heartless.

If there is no vaccine do you suggest we close down restaurants forever? Testing everyone won’t work because if requires people to get tested. If people can’t get IDs to vote what makes you think they are going to submit to weekly testing?

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Some states have been stopping drivers from other states for weeks now...officially at least.  No idea how it's worked out.

4 hours ago, Larry said:

- - - 

Kinda like voter suppression.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Hmm. You suggest their might not be a vaccine. Then suggest the only way to fight it justly is to close everything down (eg, manage the risk by keeping everyone as safe as possible, keeping people in quarantine, etc...) and suggest that reopening stuff is heartless.

If there is no vaccine do you suggest we close down restaurants forever? Testing everyone won’t work because if requires people to get tested. If people can’t get IDs to vote what makes you think they are going to submit to weekly testing?

Not suggesting. Just exploring every possibilities that can happen. As always.

Best option is by the end of the year. If I'm the President of a country as of now, I'm gonna start working on the "what if" other options. Because if that happens every year, it's gonna be a huge problem.