Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

How much you wanna bet we are gonna stop worrying about this virus now that we know it’s basically for poor and minority people? 

Probably the same amount of people that thought it was a China problem.

Probably the same amount of people that though that Italy/France/Spain are inferior countries/people with commensurate healthcare systems compared to the US.

Probably the same amount of people that thought it was an elderly problem.

Probably the same amount of people that don’t have pre-existing health conditions.

Probably the same amount of people who thought it was a hoax.

Probably the same amount of people that don’t give a crap about anyone else to begin with.

• Like 7

Wow. As early as Thanksgiving the intelligence community was receiving warning signs from Wuhan about a serious medical situation unfolding. This lines up with reports that Chinese social media was seeing increased chatter using keywords like "SARS" by November.

If true, there needs to be serious repercussions against the CCP for not informing the global community until early January.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

It's interesting how the period between Trump saying something and then denying he said that exact thing has shortened over time. It used to be he'd say something and then a week or so later would say the opposite and claim he didn't ever say it. Then it shortened to days between them. Then hours. Now it's literally minutes. He'll say something and then 15 minutes later claim he didn't say it. 

Pretty mind bending. 

Of course you would find it mind bending..because you have no mind to bend! You could never understand Trump with that little bit of gray matter you have inside your head compared to him! Within those 15 minutes, Trump has already ran every solution in his head and found the most perfect way to execute. He doesn't change his mind, he was always right, you just finally caught up to his greatness! You're like an ant on a Segway trying to catch a T-Rex in a jet pack. Once you admit your shortcomings, only then can you truly embrace the enlightenment that is Trump!

• Haha 7

Re:  100k to 200k overestimate

I get that deaths lag, and I don't understand how long it takes to fully recover.  But the US as a whole just went through an unprepared wave in March and we are under 20k deaths.  

Horrible, but not surprising this is hitting minority/low income folks worst.  Who can least afford to stop working and who works more blue collar type of jobs? 

2 minutes ago, gbear said:

What the heck happened in MD yesterday?  We had 1100+ new cases yesterday.  That is roughly a 25% increase in our total cases to 5100.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

probably more testing...

Gov. Hogan said that they have ramped up testing in the past few days and that 30% of these positive tests reported today were administered in MARCH. 

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I get that deaths lag, and I don't understand how long it takes to fully recover.  But the US as a whole just went through an unprepared wave in March and we are under 20k deaths.  

Horrible, but not surprising this is hitting minority/low income folks worst.  Who can least afford to stop working and who works more blue collar type of jobs? 

But the whole US didn't go through an unprepared wave.  It realistically hit a few cities unprepared.

I live in NJ and even where I live, the schools were shut down before there were any reported cases in our school system.

1 minute ago, Fergasun said:

Many dense parts of the country started physical distancing as early as the first week of March. California and Washington State for instance started shutting down quite early. The official orders didn't come down in the DMV for a while, but I know a lot of people here also started working from home in the first week of March.

The IHMI just revised the US death estimates down by at least 50% to 60,000 estimated deaths now. It seems like even though we got off to a slow start, the physical distancing policies helped us dampen how bad this could have been.

And I'm still not convinced that we've gotten to the point that this thing doesn't surge as soon as we reduce physical distancing. We aren't seeing too many nationwide efforts to enact contact tracing programs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I don’t think you can say the US as a whole went through it in March. We’re still at or near peak deaths per day in NYC, which is the epicenter in our country. Other states are still on the upswing for case counts and deaths will be behind it by a couple weeks. 

I don’t see how we get out of April under 40k fatalities. And by then the virus will have spread throughout the country (albeit perhaps more slowly due to social distancing measures). 

After that? Fatalities aren’t going to drop to zero. They’ll steadily trickle downwards from peak but they’ll still be adding up over time, and throughout the entire country rather than just in one or two locations. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Probably the same amount of people that thought it was a China problem.

Probably the same amount of people that though that Italy/France/Spain are inferior countries/people with commensurate healthcare systems compared to the US.

Probably the same amount of people that thought it was an elderly problem.

Probably the same amount of people that don’t have pre-existing health conditions.

Probably the same amount of people who thought it was a hoax.

Probably the same amount of people that don’t give a crap about anyone else to begin with.

that’s exactly who I mean by we. You may not be that kind of guy. I may not be that kind of guy. But I fear Americans in general have allowed for that kind of guy to run the ship long enough that America itself is going to be that kind of guy. 

but you are right - they straight up said out loud that old people should be willing to die for the rest of us. Which is just ****ing insane. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

I heard this morning that estimates for death  US are around 60,000. 

Originally projected to be around two million people. 

The original projections had a range as well. The two million projection was the worst case scenario if no behavior changes happened in the public (i.e. physical distancing etc).

We are now on the trajectory for some of the lower end of the projections because public behavior did change.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

And I'm still not convinced that we've gotten to the point that this thing doesn't surge as soon as we reduce physical distancing. We aren't seeing too many nationwide efforts to enact contact tracing programs.

I agree with this.  As soon as someone comes up with a vaccine, or more likely, a treatment that everyone can agree on, people are going to go back out and put themselves at risk.

8 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Around eighty thousand died two years ago, from the typical flu. 

I assume that will be the "new" (re-hashed) talking point if the deaths do end up on the low side of things.  "Coronavirus was one big hoax, more people die from the flu than died from this."  Never mind the fact that we've basically had to shut down the entire country to get to this point.  It's not hard to easily see through that faulty logic, but I am constantly amazed at what many people fail to see when presented with the same information as everyone else.

Edited by skinsfan999
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, skinsfan999 said:

I assume that will be the "new" (re-hashed) talking point if the deaths do end up on the low side of things.  "Coronavirus was one big hoax, more people die from the flu than died from this."  Never mind the fact that we've basically had to shut down the entire country to get to this point.  It's not hard to easily see through that faulty logic, but I am constantly amazed at what many people fail to see when presented with the same information as everyone else.

Right, we have had 300K cases and this many deaths with the closing of the US.  Imagine if we let things run as normal.  One single sport event could have infected thousands of people.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Around eighty thousand died two years ago, from the typical flu. 

The flu season is like 4-6 months and life goes on as normal. We’ll have close to that many deaths in ~1-2 months and with the economy shutdown. 

We’re looking at a catastrophic loss of life if you let this run rampant. And it won’t just be corona patients, but also everyone else who can’t receive adequate healthcare after hospitals are overcrowded and past peak capacity. 

Serious question, how do you still not get this? Why do you think we’re under essentially a global lockdown? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1