Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

34 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

We need to take care of Scherff and Roullier before we do anything else. Need to keep this OL together.

If I had to prioritize, I think I’d go

1)  Scherff

2) ILB

a) corner

b) Roullier (could flip these two, but at least we have a potential C in Ismael)

4) slot receiver (with Thomas and our backs at the LOS, they can still see the field consistently in 2 receiver sets.  We also don’t have a viable option unless you wanna count S. Sims)

a) FS

b) outside receiver (also could be flipped, but I’m not sure I like Reaves/Apke better than our current receivers)

There are other needs of course - depth across the D (besides maybe dline), LT, rb, oline depth - but qb is the one that stands out of course.  I could see the argument for putting it #1 and sliding everything else down, or as low as 5 as we roll with a combo of Allen/Heincke/Montez.  The idea being we get the team set and then look to the draft (this year or next) for our qb.

I get why some have receiver far higher than I do, I just think based on number of snaps they’d play (we’ll go 2 back sets often), having viable ‘poor man’ options there (Harmon, Sims, Wright, Foster), the glaring need for a good ILB, and the desire for consistency of the oline (impacts both pass and ground game)... it gets pushed down a bit for me.  Still a pressing need though!  My biggest concern here is McLaurin missing time...

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I like Allen Robinson better as a player, but he is 24 and did have the ACL and some kind of knee soreness this year. Godwin is 24 and to my knowledge doesn’t have much injury history. I think he would fit our rebuild in terms of age and health. 

Godwin is a catch machine. So many drives this season lost on drops of bad routes. Godwin is the absolute ideal fit. More than anyone else available.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they are shooting for the fence against at WR.  My top choice.  Allen Robinson.  # 2 Godwin.

I think before they land a top WR they are going to have to have stability at QB. 

I wonder if players would think Kyle Allen is a legitimate starter and worth coming here to play with.  

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I like Allen Robinson better as a player, but he is 24 and did have the ACL and some kind of knee soreness this year. Godwin is 24 and to my knowledge doesn’t have much injury history. I think he would fit our rebuild in terms of age and health. 

ARob is 27, which I think is what you meant to say. 

We don't have room to make significant upgrades this offseason.   At least we won't be forced to cut players we want to get under the cap due to the cap decrease, but I don't see a big splash happening.

Over the cap is estimating the cap in 2021 to be 176.  For 2021, we currently stand at 150.  7 rolling over from 2020.  That gives us 33 mil to work with.  47 if Alex smith is cut.  Minus 10 for rookies.  So if Alex isn't back, we have 37 to work with.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-football-team/

Re signing darby is number 1 on my priority list.   He has shown he is a good fit here and has played well.  No way both scherff and roullier are coming back.  I'd rather have CR considering he will be cheaper and is more durable.  The reality is we should be able to find a rg at a more modest price than what scherff will require.

After paying darby and roullier, we would have about 25 mil left.  And a lot of areas needing upgrades.   Due to the cap crunch in 2021, I would expect us to bring in a number of guys on value 1 yr deals as players wait for teams to have cash to spend again in 2022.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

We don't have room to make significant upgrades this offseason.   At least we won't be forced to cut players we want to get under the cap due to the cap decrease, but I don't see a big splash happening.

Over the cap is estimating the cap in 2021 to be 176.  For 2021, we currently stand at 150.  7 rolling over from 2020.  That gives us 33 mil to work with.  47 if Alex smith is cut.  Minus 10 for rookies.  So if Alex isn't back, we have 37 to work with.

Re signing darby is number 1 on my priority list.   He has shown he is a good fit here and has played well.  No way both scherff and roullier are coming back.  I'd rather have CR considering he will be cheaper and is more durable.  The reality is we should be able to find a rg at a more modest price than what scherff will require.

After paying darby and roullier, we would have about 25 mil left.  And a lot of areas needing upgrades.   Due to the cap crunch in 2021, I would expect us to bring in a number of guys on value 1 yr deals as players wait for teams to have cash to spend again in 2022.

the 176 is the agreed on base, recent rumors have 195 as being likely to actually happen.  We can also save about 2 by releasing Jon Bostic

11 minutes ago, carex said:

the 176 is the agreed on base, recent rumors have 195 as being likely to actually happen.  We can also save about 2 by releasing Jon Bostic

I hope so!   I'd like to be able to add some pieces instead of just hoping to retain some of our pending free agents.

Here is an article reflecting what you said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/06/optimism-emerges-regarding-2021-salary-cap/amp/

6 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Your missing that every team would be strapped for salary cap space, and therefore FA’s would have to sign for less. I believe WFT is in the 5th best salary cap position in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

We don't have room to make significant upgrades this offseason

Its not just our available cap space, its our available cap vs the rest of the NFL. We are looking to be top 5 in available cap next yr

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

There will be a lot of teams struggling to stay above water. Way more than in a normal year. That will inevitably lead to several cut players. That takes us to 2 major realities. 

1.) This will be a massively talented crop of FAs. They may all not be available up front as some players wont be cut until others are brought in, but a lot of these teams without cash are going to need to make some serious space. As a whole, this FA period will be massive in terms of available talent.

2.) There is not enough money to sign all available high and mid-tier FAs. Almost half the teams will be cutting, meaning only half the teams will be buying. Supply will greatly exceed demand.

Personally, given the environment, I don't see a lot of long term deals for anyone who is not an upper echelon player. Teams will have every opportunity to lowball every FA knowing they can go out and get another guy. Many players will want to to take short, even cheap deals to pump their value for an offseason where more teams can throw around some dough.

I can see us filling a couple of holes with shorter deals, for players that see an opportunity to boost their value. (CBs and LBs especially)

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Its not just our available cap space, its our available cap vs the rest of the NFL. We are looking to be top 5 in available cap next yr

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

There will be a lot of teams struggling to stay above water. Way more than in a normal year. That will inevitably lead to several cut players. That takes us to 2 major realities. 

1.) This will be a massively talented crop of FAs. They may all not be available up front as some players wont be cut until others are brought in, but a lot of these teams without cash are going to need to make some serious space. As a whole, this FA period will be massive in terms of available talent.

2.) There is not enough money to sign all available high and mid-tier FAs. Almost half the teams will be cutting, meaning only half the teams will be buying. Supply will greatly exceed demand.

Personally, given the environment, I don't see a lot of long term deals for anyone who is not an upper echelon player. Teams will have every opportunity to lowball every FA knowing they can go out and get another guy. Many players will want to to take short, even cheap deals to pump their value for an offseason where more teams can throw around some dough.

I can see us filling a couple of holes with shorter deals, for players that see an opportunity to boost their value. (CBs and LBs especially)

Exactly. I see this as an offseason where I see a lot of 1 year deals being signed, not just for us but for the league as a whole.

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

We did that last year. I see the evaluation period over. We need 3 higher tier acquisitions.

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We did that last year. I see the evaluation period over. We need 3 higher tier acquisitions.

agreed. We need big time vets who will probably be finishing their careers here. David or Simmons aren't doing one year deals. It's their last big payday.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Might not have much of a choice next year. No player will want to sign long term for less $$$. If I'm an agent, and I see half the NFL will be all but sitting out the upcoming free agency period, I'm doing everything in my power to ensure my guy will be able to dip his toe in the 2022 or 2023 free agency pool. If he has to sign a below market 1 yr deal to get there, you take that hit for the chance at a much bigger long term gain. Just try to get your guy in a place where he has the best chance to pump his value.

The top tier players will get theirs, but the mid-tier market is going to crash.

A couple short contracts is good for a teams health tho. You will never have a stud at every position. You need those easy cheap contracts to fill out your roster. If you can get above quality production from those cheap contracts, all the better.

A player like Darby has earned a nice chonky contract from this approach. He is still young and has proven again that he can be a good player in this league. He should be looking at 10+Mil  a yr easy in a normal offseason.

But why should we pay him?

I can bring in another corner, maybe someone who was in Darby's situation, who will get the chance to play behind a great D-line on a good D-Fence. Someone who will come in on a 3 mil deal in an attempt to boost their chances of getting a bigger deal the following year. If that player gives me 80% of Darby's production next year, your coming out way ahead.  

I'll throw that 7+ mil remainder at another position.

The way our D-line is built we can get away with a bit of plug n play at corner, but we have multiple O line free agents, a lack of weapons and a potential hole at QB the size of Pangea if Smith hangs em up. That is where the money needs to be focused. Just gotta pick and choose where we spend the bucks

4 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Your missing that every team would be strapped for salary cap space, and therefore FA’s would have to sign for less. I believe WFT is in the 5th best salary cap position in the NFL. 

Your missing the part where I mentioned we prioritize signing our own FA first.  After we resign darby and scherff / roullier to long term deals, hopefully KPL too, our well is almost dry.  I understand everyone else's well will be pretty dry too, but if you think we are getting allen robinson on a 1 yr 5 mil dollar deal, or some other star on a similarly heavily discounted contract, I think you will be disappointed.   I think our team is in a unique position bc we chose to sign a lot of guys last off-season to cheap short term prove it deals, therefore we have several key contributors up for free agency.  Jaguars, jets, and patriots have significantly more space than we do (especially after we re-sign our guys), so they will be able to lock up quality players. We might get one.  

However, that is all with the 176 cap in place.  @carex pointed out it might be higher, and I found an article saying the cap might be as high as 195.  You've got to think both sides realize the sudden drop will be bad for the game and the players, so hopefully they agree to a higher cap, and then we will still be in great shape and can add a few extra pieces.  Or maybe it would be more exciting to have an off-season where unfortunately we can't do much, but other teams like the eagles and saints have to gut their rosters.  Time will tell.

This is just a whole lot of speculation but top 50 projection landing spots....

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-ranking-the-nfls-top-50-free-agents

6. S ANTHONY HARRIS

Anthony Harris has been one of the best safeties in football for the past few seasons, steadily earning himself increased playing time in Minnesota. He put together an All-Pro caliber season in 2019 before taking a step back this year along with the rest of the Vikings’ defense. Harris earned a 91.1 overall PFF grade a season ago, which came hot on the heels of the 89.0 mark he posted the year before that when he played 624 snaps and started half the season due to injury. He has been a perfect free safety within Mike Zimmer’s defense, which employs a lot of split-safety looks and has been particularly adept at making plays on the football, with coverage being by far his biggest asset.

Harris has shown the ability to read route concepts and quarterbacks at the same time, putting himself in position to make plays. He should be primed for a big deal.

Minnesota has a huge decision to make at safety, with the anchor of their defense in Harrison Smith entering the final year of his deal in 2021, as well. Harris’ emergence opposite Smith has been a welcome development, and although he’s the younger player, it’s hard to imagine the Vikings letting Smith play a single snap outside of Minnesota before his potentially Hall of Fame career is over.

Prediction: Football Team signs Harris for four years, $60 million ($15M APY): $30 million total guaranteed, $18 million fully guaranteed at signing.

11. G BRANDON SCHERFF

One of the most dependable guards in the league, Scherff has never posted a PFF grade below 72.5 in his six-year NFL career.  Over the last three seasons, Scherff ranks among the league’s best guards in nearly every key metric, including a 97th percentile ranking on true pass sets and 92nd percentile ranking in percentage of positively graded plays. Both numbers are among the most important when projecting interior offensive linemen from year to year.

In the run game, Scherff can do it all, showing the power at the point of attack and the quickness to make any block in space. He’s also one of the most polished pass protectors in the league, and he stands out as the best interior offensive lineman in this free agent class.

Contract Analysis: The NFC East currently has the NFL’s No. 1, 2, and 3 highest-paid right guards on an annual basis in Brandon Brooks (Eagles), Zack Martin (Cowboys), and Kevin Zeitler (Giants). Scherff’s 2020 franchise tag amount of just above $15M will likely serve as the floor for what he’s looking for on an annual basis in an extension, which would make him the highest-paid guard in the NFC East (and NFL).

Prediction: Washington signs Scherff for four-years, $60M ($15M APY): $37.5M total guaranteed, $25M fully guaranteed at signing.

39. WR COREY DAVIS

While Davis may never live up to his No. 5 overall draft status, he has become a reliable No. 2 receiver. His four-year body of work puts him slightly above average when measured by PFF receiving grade, receiving grade against single coverage and yards per route run.

Davis pairs one of the lowest drop rates in the league with one of the lowest catchable-target rates — his 2020 breakout may be more than a mirage. Davis looked the part of a high-volume possession receiver coming out of college, but he works best on the outside running the vertical route tree, and he’s been better than expected at winning in contested situations at the catch point.

Davis may never develop into an all-around route-runner or a dynamic threat after the catch, but if expectations are properly set, he fills the role of a dependable complementary receiver on the outside.

Davis was supposed to be the high draft pick breakout wide receiver in Tennessee, but A.J. Brown burst onto the scene in 2019 and isn’t looking back. Tennessee will have a hard time retaining Davis, who has earned a solid contract, and whose status as the No. 5 overall pick will artificially inflate the value of that contract even further.

Prediction: Football Team signs Davis for four-years, $65M ($16.25M APY): $32M total guaranteed, $20M fully guaranteed at signing.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd be over the moon happy if we signed Harris. I'm also going to assume we attack the LBer spot too and is probably our top priority.

Me too but it's hard to see them tying that much money up in the safety position considering Collins cap hit in upcoming years.

image.png.1a0e565eae04d664bf5751647b231f6c.png

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Me too but it's hard to see them tying that much money up in the safety position considering Collins cap hit in upcoming years.

image.png.1a0e565eae04d664bf5751647b231f6c.png

That really sucks for sure. I don't think you don't address such an obvious upgrade at free because the previous regime made such a bad contract at strong, but who knows. Safety, like TE has gotten a hell of a lot more important and FS is the one you should be spending big on.

I'd much rather sign Marcus Williams (24yo) or Josh Johnson (26yo) who are both significantly younger than Harris (29yo) if we were to sign a free safety in free agency. Especially if they are both available for a couple of millions less per season as speculated in the PFF article.

However, I don't think we will make a big signing at FS when due to the Landon Collins contract.

Archived