Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Current free agent RB, longing to come to Washington...

He had every physical tool to be a monster.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There was a period where we took guys in FA that seem to burn us in head to head games.  Samuel would qualify.  Slot WR?

RBs that are WRs, WRs that are RBs. Its mayhem up in here.

Darby was a STUD just a couple of seasons ago. I feel like we always sign guys like this then hope they’ll regain that form, but they never do. He actually has. Pay the man, his resigning should be a high priority.

del rio’s boys have a chance to be special if the offense isn’t a first half 3-and-out machine.

I’m curious how you guys would prioritize our FA.  While our cap can be massaged in a number of ways, I’m thinking that most likely we can only afford 1 semi-high priced FA if we re-sign our key guys.  Of course, we can choose to let let one of ours to walk and bring in 2 FAs (or a few cheaper ones).  Maybe I’m being a little too skeptical of the amount of cap space we’ll actually have, but between dead money for Haskins, paying Smith, re-signing our ERFA/RFAs, signing rookies and filling out the roster with cheaper FAs, that’s a chunk of the cap.  The re-signings are the key though in terms of the cap.

I’m wary of letting Scherff or Roullier walk.  Banking on Ismael, Charles or Martin to take over one of those spots is risky.  Messing with the oline also has the potential negative trickle down effect for both the ground game and protecting whoever the qb is.

Losing Darby could mess with the coverage/pass rush synergy we have going and I don’t see a viable answer on the roster.

I’m assuming that qb, ILB and wr are the likeliest targets in FA, but if we don’t re-sign one of the above, we may be looking for their replacement via FA (albeit a cheaper version most likely).

So what helps us the most?  Upgrading ILB?  WR?  Which one is easier to find in the draft?  Do we let a guy (or 2) walk?

21 hours ago, carex said:

we done anything with that newly open roster spot yet?

20 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

there was mention of Inman coming back, but I’m not sure if that was speculation.

I'm pretty sure Inman is taking Warren's spot, now that Gibson seems to be healthy, and it's Montez who is taking DH's spot. I know the natural reaction might be, "Wasn't he already on the roster, since he was #3 against the Panthers ?"

But technically he was still on the P.S., and one of the allotted players allowed a limited number of gameday actives, from the PS, without being promoted to the 53.

But with DH gone, he appears to get that 'official' promotion and take up a space on the 53

Caught up with Finlay's podcast which included a Rivera interview. the dude practically put up a billboard that MLB is high on the shopping list.  Obviously no surprise.

Finlay asked him if this defense can match his best defenses in Carolina, Rivera goes it can be better than those defenses but it needs a MLB who is good and brings leadership.  He said he needs his Luke Kuechly.    Gave me the vibe that it might be a veteran.  If Tampa lets David hit FA, I can see them chasing him.  Only hesitation might be his age.  if I recall though this is about the same age we signed Fletcher.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/lavonte-david-leader-bucs-tom-brady-world-series-ccu

Why Lavonte David is Everything You Want in a Leader 

"I think it's looking back and seeing how you got there [and] why did you play so well?" said Arians. "Again, I go back to last week's preparation. Thursday and Friday, there was just something special about the practice field. I didn't know if we were going to win, but I knew we were going to play well. My challenge is [that] we set a standard – can we match that standard this week in our preparation? So far, we have."

One player that acknowledged that standard – especially the one on the defensive side of the ball – was captain Lavonte David, who echoed Arians' sentiments also on Monday. That kind of continuity is important among team leadership. It gets everyone on the same page, especially because David is so highly regarded in the locker room.

"He's just a great leader – someone I personally look up to for his consistency, his composure [and] his longevity," Davis said of David. "He's been doing it for so long [and] he's been so consistent. Through the good and the bad years, he's always been himself. He's always been a guy that you can count on. Even my rookie year when things weren't going good, he was the same guy he is now. His popularity may not be what it should be, but this year, I definitely believe that he will get the respect that he deserves." 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Caught up with Finlay's podcast which included a Rivera interview. the dude practically put up a billboard that MLB is high on the shopping list.  Obviously no surprise.

Finlay asked him if this defense can match his best defenses in Carolina, Rivera goes it can be better than those defenses but it needs a MLB who is good and brings leadership.  He said he needs his Luke Kuechly.    Gave me the vibe that it might be a veteran.  If Tampa lets David hit FA, I can see them chasing him.  Only hesitation might be his age.  if I recall though this is about the same age we signed Fletcher.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/lavonte-david-leader-bucs-tom-brady-world-series-ccu

Why Lavonte David is Everything You Want in a Leader 

"I think it's looking back and seeing how you got there [and] why did you play so well?" said Arians. "Again, I go back to last week's preparation. Thursday and Friday, there was just something special about the practice field. I didn't know if we were going to win, but I knew we were going to play well. My challenge is [that] we set a standard – can we match that standard this week in our preparation? So far, we have."

One player that acknowledged that standard – especially the one on the defensive side of the ball – was captain Lavonte David, who echoed Arians' sentiments also on Monday. That kind of continuity is important among team leadership. It gets everyone on the same page, especially because David is so highly regarded in the locker room.

"He's just a great leader – someone I personally look up to for his consistency, his composure [and] his longevity," Davis said of David. "He's been doing it for so long [and] he's been so consistent. Through the good and the bad years, he's always been himself. He's always been a guy that you can count on. Even my rookie year when things weren't going good, he was the same guy he is now. His popularity may not be what it should be, but this year, I definitely believe that he will get the respect that he deserves." 

Yeah, if we splurge in FA, I think its for a MLB.  Frankly, it might be a good decision. MLBs don't break the bank as much as WRs do.  An impact MLB would do wonders for this defense.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Forbes goes on 980 every now and then.  He's not a real insider but more of a FA fan nerd type. 

no doubt, they were excellent “low risk” signings last offseason. I feel like the bargain bin strategy just never pans out specifically for wrs. All of the aforetweeted names outperformed their contract. Most wrs who are at least above average have proven it before their rookie contract expires. 

maybe an injured player like golladay could be had at a bit of a discount, which I doubt, but other than due to an injury, FA wrs rarely seem to outperform their contract.

you want a solid wr these days, you pay. 

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

no doubt, they were excellent “low risk” signings last offseason. I feel like the bargain bin strategy just never pans out specifically for wrs. All of the aforetweeted names outperformed their contract. Most wrs who are at least above average have proven it before their rookie contract expires. 

maybe an injured player like golladay could be had at a bit of a discount, which I doubt, but other than due to an injury, FA wrs rarely seem to outperform their contract.

you want a solid wr these days, you pay. 

Don't forget Ron and Kyle tried to pay big $$ for Amari Cooper but he turned us down. So I don't think they're afraid to spend big, but only for guys they think are worth it. Hence why we went Logan Thomas over Austin Hooper (smartly).

8 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Don't forget Ron and Kyle tried to pay big $$ for Amari Cooper but he turned us down. So I don't think they're afraid to spend big, but only for guys they think are worth it. Hence why we went Logan Thomas over Austin Hooper (smartly).

that is one of the most misunderstood things from free agency last year. We offered Cooper 23mil guaranteed compared to their 60mil. It was not even close in that regard.

15 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, if we splurge in FA, I think its for a MLB.  Frankly, it might be a good decision. MLBs don't break the bank as much as WRs do.  An impact MLB would do wonders for this defense.

MLB and/or FS would be my targets, and then draft guys as well. But we also have to sign a WR, we have tons of young guys but no consistent player outside McLaurin.

Archived