Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Looks like Rivera is high on Trevor Lawrence.

I would be stunned if we are that bad and we won't have the draft capital to move up unless we trade back this year for Miami's 2021 1st. 

It sounds like you don't love this coaching staff, but JDR has a resume that is miles better than anybody we've had here in more than a decade. I expect that even if we didn't add Chase Young, we'd see a good bit of defensive improvement and that alone would get us to 5 wins. Outside Trevor Lawrence range. 

As much as I'd love Lawrence or Penei Sewell, if that happens, it means none of our young pieces are as good as we think they are and we are almost at the beginning of a rebuild with extraordinarily few worthwhile parts. 

I'm fine with being conservative this year as long as we can protect Haskins. I'd like to see him have some time to scan a defense and not develop bad habits. I am assuming that with the WR depth in the draft, we will dip there at some point. In any case, there are still some quality WR FA's available. 

21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

This kinda thing makes it imperative that they use a draft pick on a TE.  And with no 2nd, it becomes that much more difficult.  

With no second I think as JP Finlay said on the Junks the longer they go without a backup QB signed the posturing for taking Tua looks like it could be real

They may be looking for a big haul of picks from Miami to fill some of these needs

Either way Haskins needs weapons around him to succeed and not giving him that just isn’t fair on the kid! If Ron isn’t a fan he needs to sign up a Cam or whoever he is a fan of and go from there 

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Even in a down year Ebron had about 20 yards less than all our TE combined.

Not sure what that has do with what I said? 

Highly doubt Steelers fans care about his yards in relation to the Redskins TEs in 2019.

I bet they will be more concerned with the drops and poor run blocking...because they are Steelers fans...and they like their TEs to block.

But...I wouldn't have been upset with him at that price.

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I would be stunned if we are that bad and we won't have the draft capital to move up unless we trade back this year for Miami's 2021 1st. 

It sounds like you don't love this coaching staff, but JDR has a resume that is miles better than anybody we've had here in more than a decade. I expect that even if we didn't add Chase Young, we'd see a good bit of defensive improvement and that alone would get us to 5 wins. Outside Trevor Lawrence range. 

As much as I'd love Lawrence or Penei Sewell, if that happens, it means none of our young pieces are as good as we think they are and we are almost at the beginning of a rebuild with extraordinarily few worthwhile parts. 

I'm fine with being conservative this year as long as we can protect Haskins. I'd like to see him have some time to scan a defense and not develop bad habits. I am assuming that with the WR depth in the draft, we will dip there at some point. In any case, there are still some quality WR FA's available. 

I’m good with our staff, but Rivera did build the only roster that we beat up on. Del Rio is fine, he’s not been coveted, but he can coach. I predicted we’d go 3-13 this past year & I think we are headed towards something similar in 2020. 

20 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Overpaying doesn’t really exist in the new NFL the way the cap goes up and how every year the market essentially resets itself. Overpay in year one usually equals good value in year 3 or 4.

Ron better have a plan because right now our offense is in trouble.

This unfortunately is no longer true for the team in today’s market... 

Players with leverage no longer will let a deal get to year 4 and in some cases even year 3 without a restructure. The contract “game” has changed and continues to evolve.

**The outlier is the QB position, all those guys play out their contracts. 

31 minutes ago, justice98 said:

This kinda thing makes it imperative that they use a draft pick on a TE.  And with no 2nd, it becomes that much more difficult.  

Reed was a third rounder.  TE's are getting more valuable, but they are still available in day two and early day three

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

I’m good with our staff, but Rivera did build the only roster that we beat up on. Del Rio is fine, he’s not been coveted, but he can coach. I predicted we’d go 3-13 this past year & I think we are headed towards something similar in 2020. 

I am not as pessimistic.  I got no idea about Haskins one way or another.

But I think this dude alone will ensure a better season than last year.

10 minutes ago, tlazarchick31 said:

Hooper should have been priority #1. Gordon, our backfield is a huge question mark. Look to bring in Sanders as a vet to help the WR room and kids grow. 

Who says we weren't in on Hooper? I'm certainly not upset that we are throwing that amount at him.

We really liked Cooper and offered him more than any other team. He chose Dallas. What can you do?

I do like Sanders and maybe hes still an option... Other than that, I'm glad they've refrained from signing all others.

Let's let this play out.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not as pessimistic.  I got no idea about Haskins one way or another.

But I think this dude alone will ensure a better season than last year.

*tweet*

I’m sure Browns fans thought the same of Myles Garrett.

The reality is that better players want to go to with a team with a chance in the playoffs. We aren't that this year, regardless of the revamped coaching staff. If we make some progress this year, maybe we can attract more quality players next year's FA.  How we draft this year will be helpful too.

Players will even take less money to go with a better team. 

Not sure what some people were expecting. Outside of Amari Cooper and Austin Hooper, TE and WR were basically devoid of impact players. In fact, all the WRs are still out there, if you want them. They're just not that good. Ebron was probably the next best "tight end", except he can't block, has suspect hands, and generally is seen as a bad influence. Most of the impact names were on the defensive side of the ball, which is less of a need for this team. But maybe they still try and sign a "bigger" name DB.

To be honest, not the worst idea to keep away from free agents, save a ton of cap, get extra draft picks for next draft, and then stink for a year to get another high pick.  In fact, its what I proposed last offseason but our incompetent GM last season didnt get it and wasted 20+ million in cap space.  Then, splurge next offseason on top FAs to build your team.  It all depends on whether you think you are just a few pieces away from a playoff roster, or whether you want to spend a full season evaluating your new players(new to Rivera).

if we traded Trent and Dunbar for one 3rd rounder each(not saying we should), and Smith retired as anticipated, we would probably end up with 7 high round picks in the next 2 drafts, and $170 million in cap space in 2021.  That would be plenty to resign any top players and go wild in free agency.

$6 mil per for Ebron. No way. That puts him into top 10 category for TEs and he has never smelled 1000 yards. This is like his 7th year too so don’t give me anything about potential. His best year was with Luck at qb (13tds) and no other year he had more than 5. 

Please justify how he’s worth that contract and why we would want him. I’m more than happy with the upside of Logan Thomas. He reminds me of Dunbar making a switch and needing some time to get adjusted. 

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This unfortunately is no longer true for the team in today’s market... 

Players with leverage no longer will let a deal get to year 4 and in some cases even year 3 without a restructure. The contract “game” has changed and continues to evolve.

**The outlier is the QB position, all those guys play out their contracts. 

And my point is by the time it gets to that point of restructuring, the player has usually outperformed his salary even if just for a year. That one year of over performance tends to offset any semblance of overpay from year 1.

The ones that are usually a bonafide overpayment are a) players that VASTLY underperform to the point where even a market value deal would be perceived as bad and b) extremely short term deals (1-2 years) where as the overpayment offsets the risks of any long term cap issues (in other words you know exactly how much is allocated to that player per year to the point where it’s no crippling you 4-5 years down the line either in active cap hit or dead).

I love the idea of Chase Young at #2, and would have to be overwhelmed to consider trading out of that spot. However, I'm starting to wonder if Kyle/Ron wouldn't prefer the haul from a trade? Yes, I know that Keim and others have said its Young or bust at #2, but it is also apparent that no beat writer has a solid source in this new F.O. (nor should they have access too Kyle/Ron's thoughts on sensitive information). 

Given that we have a multitude of holes, have no 2nd Round pick, and that the high end portion of Free Agency has likely come and gone without filling those spots with any instant impact starters... it just smacks of a situation where a trade down would have increased appeal. So, as the month of the draft approaches, and draft boards are starting to take shape, where do you stand now? If the Redskins could land 2 #1s (one of which is an early 1), a #2 and maybe a future pick, would that be enough? Would this team be better off with Chase Young and not another pick until the 3rd, or a combo like Lamb(WR), Thomas(LT) and Fulton(CB) plus change? 

Just curious how thought processes might be changing the closer we get to the draft? As an aside, Young falling to the Giants at #4 to pair with the new additions of Martinez and Bradberry, is frightening. Even the Giants staff couldn't mess that up.

It'd be great to have Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown, I mean, talk about keeping you guessing and exciting!!

One week of dominance, next week lifetime sentences for drugs and domestic abuse... woah! Lighting in a bottle, baby!

AB gives you about 4-5 different personalities on the field at the same time

11 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I’m sure Browns fans thought the same of Myles Garrett.

If Chases plays like Myles Garrett does his rookie year which was decent (and missing time) but nothing special I might agree with you.  If he played like the 2018 healthy version of Garrett, I think we will win more than 3 games.

2 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

$6 mil per for Ebron. No way. That puts him into top 10 category for TEs and he has never smelled 1000 yards. This is like his 7th year too so don’t give me anything about potential. His best year was with Luck at qb (13tds) and no other year he had more than 5. 

Please justify how he’s worth that contract and why we would want him. 

Because Jeremy Sprinkle was our leading TE with 246 yards and 1 TD.

8 minutes ago, carex said:

Reed was a third rounder.  TE's are getting more valuable, but they are still available in day two and early day three

Well, here's why I advocated for TE in FA (still could matriculate, we'll see) ... TEs almost always take 1-2 years to gel and emerge. Kittle and Kelce were "average upside" mid-round picks who emerged in Years 2 and 3. Kecle a 3rd and Kittle a 5th rounder. Reed took 1-2 years to emerge as a 3rd rounder.

Last year Hockenson, Fant and the TE from Bama were all higher-end prospects and, while each had their flashes/moments, they were far from immediate impacts. I would assume that trio emerge very strongly this year as last year's class was pretty loaded.

All that is to say that even if we think Cole Kmet is a R1/2 talent and he falls to 66 ... and while I am snatching him or Trautman there in a heartbeat, neither of them can be looked to as "immediate impacts" in our offense. Those picks will be for 2021 and beyond.

Someone like Eifert, or worst case Logan Thomas, will likely provide a stopgap role for a year.

2 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

So you want to overspend just because Ebrons a name. Ever heard of Darren Waller before last year. Probably not and look what he became. 

For every Waller there’s a... well a Sprinkle.

You wanna know if Haskins is the future? Give him proven weapons. You wanna make excuses for him? Fill up the offense with a bunch of unknowns and hopefulls.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Chases plays like Myles Garrett does his rookie year which was decent (and missing time) but nothing special I might agree with you.  If he played like the 2018 healthy version of Garrett, I think we will win more than 3 games.

I’m simply stating that everyone believes they’re going to be better the next year & Clev has a direct parallel. I don’t think you can wait until Young has played to agree or not, that doesn’t make sense... all I said was Clev fans felt they’d be much better with their once in a generation DE ... they won zero.

Archived