Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I don’t know why this is so hard. Make the 2nd rounder conditional. Playing time. awards. Get this done. 
I know we don’t get the pick this year but we get the cap space.

Yeah, I understand holding out for value but this is kind of exhausting. Maybe the hope is that someone misses one of the blue chip OTs in the draft and comes calling us for Trent, but I also don't know how that helps in the short-term. The thinking is you want draft capital to help land his replacement this year. Trading Trent post-draft for a 2021 2nd round pick is the equivalent of a 2020 3rd. I just don't get that mindset.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, I understand holding out for value but this is kind of exhausting. Maybe the hope is that someone misses one of the blue chip OTs in the draft and comes calling us for Trent, but I also don't know how that helps in the short-term. The thinking is you want draft capital to help land his replacement this year. Trading Trent post-draft for a 2021 2nd round pick is the equivalent of a 2020 3rd. I just don't get that mindset.

I'm willing to bet the plan is currently that 71 doesn't find the deal he wants, circles back around and is the starting LT for the Redskins this year. 

If he finds one that is good for the team, they'll move him. 

I would much rather Trent face the option of starting for this team, showing his ability, and then being moved, rather than being traded for a 2nd. He’s worth more. Teams are hesitant due to his contract demands. But judging by recent OL signings, he probably is worth 18-20mil. 

Im holding out for Tampa

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm willing to bet the plan is currently that 71 doesn't find the deal he wants, circles back around and is the starting LT for the Redskins this year. 

Maybe he will come back and accept our extension once he sees no one else is willing to pay him as much as us. I would prefer to keep him for the next 3 or so years.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Feels that way, that's what I'd do in their shoes. 

40 minutes ago, 09 said:

I struggle with the concept/narrative that Haskins is not motivated enough.  Just doesn't make sense.

Every beat guy, multiple national guys even coaches/Doug have all alluded to the point in different ways -- some made the point as blunt as a sledge hammer, some have said it more subtly-indirectly. Keim flat out said Rivera wants to see how Haskins approaches this off season and has a plan to "push" Haskins.       But the point has been exhausted on the Haskins thread, I don't feel like regurgitating all of the multitude of narratives on it.  

As to how it relates to FA, I think they are riding with Haskins and want a dude that at least can give Haskins a run for his money albeit who is likely not good enough to supplant him.

As for which QBs are left in the market who can do that?  Not sure.  I haven't put much thought into it.  I don't think Winston or Cam would be good on that front because they'd assume they'd likely be starters and or if they don't win the job I'd presume they wouldn't be happy campers as back ups. 

The Keim tweet gets to an important part of this.

As fans we want/think we can/should fill all holes in one off-season. It just doesn't work that way. I got caught up in the hype in the off-season mocks that we'd be landing multiple high-end FAs, but the reality is there are 31 other teams vying to land that talent, and half those teams had equal to or more money than us to land them.

Holes are filled by drafting and developing talent. You are never going to fill every hole. And we don't have the draft capital to do it (yet) this year. But that doesnt' meant we can't coach up the talent that we do have.

Rivera and Co. probably feel like this is a multi-year process. I think we are in good shape except for 3-4 positions. WR2 (but Harmon may be able to step into that role) ... TE1, CB and LT.

There is a difference between long-term (2-3 years) and short-term (this year).

I would argue that CB and FS are in okay shape for this year. Bad shape long-term (Moreau, Dunbar, Sean Davis free agents after 2020).

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

She thinks they are riding with Haskins, they want someone who will push him

I'm kind of curious who the front office ends up landing on for QB. Because the only two guys out there who should be "pushing" Haskins would be Newton or Winston. I think that ends the list. If we really think guys like Bortles or Flacco or Glennon or whoever else will "push" Haskins, it's pretty damning of Haskins as a player. Cause we know what those guys are and those guys aren't starters. If they really think that low of him, then maybe Tua is the answer.

I remain dubious Newton gets released, so maybe it ends up being moot. There always seems to be someone willing to trade for a QB. Chicago traded for Foles when some thought Jacksonville would have to pay people to take him off their hands. Denver somehow traded for Flacco last year, even though Flacco was old, not good, and really overpaid. And someone still took on that contract and paid Baltimore to do it. Denver clearly made a mistake, but all it takes is one. Is Netwon's market that frigid?

Looking around the league, teams that would seem to be in the market for a possible starter would include New England, Jacksonville, Miami, and the LA Chargers. It seems LA wants to go the Taylor/rookie pick route as likely does Miami. After that, you start to look at teams with questionable young guys like Denver or Chicago (though they got Foles) or Washington. The list isn't super long and clearly some of these teams aren't interested. So then the list gets shorter. Will be curious to see how it all plays out.

48 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Maybe he will come back and accept our extension once he sees no one else is willing to pay him as much as us. I would prefer to keep him for the next 3 or so years.

If we're even willing to pay him as much as we would have offered had he not gone these shenanigans.  I don't think he wants to be a part of this team and I think Ron Rivera has made it clear that he wants players that want to be Redskins on the team.  

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Boo! They should have snagged Trent. Boy, did Trent misjudge how desirable he was. Redskins misplayed it too and badly, but Trent really seems to have screwed himself.

Well - he may just have to play for us for one more year.  He totally misjudged how coveted he is.  

Curious to see what a fanspeak Matt Miller Board draft looked like without adding any picks (assuming we trade TW after the draft, or let him stick around for a final year):

1.2: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Adam Trautman, TE Dayton

4.2: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT Auburn

4.36: KJ Hill, WR Ohio State

5.2: Troy Pride, Jr. CB Notre Dame

7.2: Matt Womack, OT Alabama

7.15: Binjimen Victor, WR Ohio State

Even if we just added a vet QB the rest of the way, this would be a draft that would make me feel pretty good with the state of our roster in the long-run.

Example of how the rest of Free Agency could change this ... if we were to sign Eric Ebron to a 3-4 year deal, I could see us going TE with 4th or 5th as opposed to a 3rd.

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

The could extend Cams contract to make it more CAP friendly.He should be somewhat humbled by his recent status. I don't think he is coming to Washington though

I would not be shocked if they acquire Kyle Allen from the Panthers. He would be a decent backup, cheap and be familiar with system

I touted Kyle Allen too, the Panthers just. Retained him on a one year tender. Would have been, still could be I guess, a viable and affordable option.

Still think Rivera will want Cam. I’d take that chance to. Get him in and negotiate Alex Smith off the books. Draft a QB day three and roll with that.

Or as I said the other day, they may just sign Cam and Clowney the pass on Young at #2....oh God imagine that :hitfan:

Archived