Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

Eh.

It's only because Cam Newton's old coach is now the coach of the Redskins.

If they brought Newton here, you can say good-bye to Haskins and his chance to be the guy here. It will be obvious Rivera has no faith in him.

Newton is not going anywhere to be a backup, and anyone who has observed his personality sees he is not the mentoring type.

We've heard solid, public commitments to Haskins as the starter of the Washington Redskins. I can't see them bringing in Newton to undermine that.

I would instantly be very unhappy with Rivera is he brings in Cam. The only argument could be that he plans to draft Tua at #2 and send Haskins packing. Cam starts yr 1 maybe 2 as Tua learns and heals completely (more time to recover never hurts). I hope this is not the path. 

One thing in favor of them NOT doing this is Cam's price tag will be difficult to fit into the CAP. But who knows, this may be why they have been light in FA. 

10 hours ago, panahoo said:

See the following :

Brady, Tom

Manning, Payton

Manning, Eli

Brees, Drew

I can go on....

Not calling you out with this comment, because it's common, but I ****ing hate when people do that. 

It just reads so pretentious, but in the way a 12 yo girl say it and walk away instead of being mature enough to have a conversation. 

Like if we were at a bar, I'd casually knock the drink out of your hand. I'd guess @volsmet could come up with that imagery 

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m pretty sure you’re wrong on this.  Del Rio is extremely respected.  So he took a year off.  Also, wasn’t he NFL network, not ESPN?

He was also still getting paid by Oakland last year.

9 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

I agree with you and I think the general take away from most of us here as well as the media is he had more escapepability than what was previously thought when he was drafted. 

He ran such a slow 40 that we all thought he was a statue.  He also didn't run a ton of designed qb run plays at Ohio State, especially early in in his season.  But the glimpses of surprising effectiveness on designed runs were there one or two times a game later in the season.

He's not as slow as he looks.  He's got a big stride and he's a big man with powerful legs that, when you're tackling him, you have to kind of rally yourself a bit and break down to make sure you bring him down.  It can't just be a glancing blow where you came in fast and out of control, you have to be disciplined because he's as big as a linebacker.

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I would instantly be very unhappy with Rivera is he brings in Cam. The only argument could be that he plans to draft Tua at #2 and send Haskins packing. Cam starts yr 1 maybe 2 as Tua learns and heals completely (more time to recover never hurts). I hope this is not the path. 

One thing in favor of them NOT doing this is Cam's price tag will be difficult to fit into the CAP. But who knows, this may be why they have been light in FA. 

I'm willing to bet that Ron is extremely relieved not to be tied to Cam anymore.

With his size and ability, be fun to see him in Baltimore as a chess piece. I know it's cost prohibitive. But it's a cool thought. Roman would be unstoppable. 

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The could extend Cams contract to make it more CAP friendly.He should be somewhat humbled by his recent status. I don't think he is coming to Washington though

I would not be shocked if they acquire Kyle Allen from the Panthers. He would be a decent backup, cheap and be familiar with system

17 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I don't know that I'd be "unhappy".

And let me give my logic:

First, the part that would irk me...

We have a 2nd year QB who, for the majority of the year, was not great. But he showed glimpses of positive strides towards the end of the year (in a different offense, different regime). But those glimpses were enough for us to say, "okay, we could have something.

Now, the major caveat is is bolded. But I also said, "us"

"Us" does not mean Ron Rivera, Kyle Smith and the rest of the coaching staff.

I wouldn't mind us improving at quarterback if Rivera thought it was a necessity. If he has looked at Haskins film, looked at his workouts, had conversations with him and he just doesn't like the fit... then so be it. Time to move on. 

The worst thing that is happening, though, is the continuation of the Haskins carousel from last year. Free agents aren't wanting to come here because of the rumors and uncertainty at our quarterback position. Our offense is a significant question mark. That could be fixed in two ways: 1. Changing the quarterback or 2. Riding with the guy we have.

Pick one and stay steadfast on it. Commit or ****. 

There are pros and cons both ways.

Haskins takes some time to learn an NFL offense. And this is a new one. But he is a few steps ahead because of his live game experience and bumps along the road. The biggest plus for Haskins? His physical traits + ROOKIE WINDOW CONTRACT. If he does well, we're likely to do well. If he does poorly, we're likely to be in a similar position next year with at least a couple of really intriguing quarterbacks on rookie window contracts (Fields/Lawrence).

Signing Newton gives you the ability to win now. Assuming his health. But it's also going to be a larger contract number and thus more cap space eaten up by the quarterback position. And, if he plays, you're likely to win too many games to be in position to draft a top tier QB. If he's unhealthy, you're likely to stink anyways. There is a lot of risk/reward there that I don't love. But Rivera's goal is to win, and Cam (out of Cam, Tua, Jameis and Haskins) likely gives him the chance to win a little bit now. But I'm not sure that's a great thing for the long term health of the franchise.

Signing Jameis means you're just fast forwarding Haskins CURRENT CAREER TRAJECTORY. Lots of mistakes, lots of big plays. The negative is... Haskins can improve that window a bit more than Jameis can at this point. So Haskins has the higher upside. Positive of Jameis is he's entertaining... And that's about it. He's also more costly than the rookie window.

The only viable option at QB is another rookie. But to take Tua at 2 means passing on Young. Which, I love Tua. But if we're not taking Young, the trade back is really the correct option. But a rookie QB is the best option for us given contract and winning window as it pertains to % of the cap used.

So, our options (NOT NECESSARILY BASED ON HOW GOOD/BAD I THINK EACH PLAYER IS, BUT ALSO WEIGHING FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS):

1. Dwayne Haskins

2. Tua Tagovailoa (He would be 1 if Young wasn't an option/he was healthy)

3. N/A

Sign a viable backup like Moore/Bortles and let Haskins play if the idea isn't to get Tua in here. 

Which, due to injuries, I'm a bit... 50/50 on. Love Tua healthy. I'd take him in a heart beat. The situation reminds me of Brees with the Dolphins and I'd hate to lose out on a true stud at QB. But passing on Young and drafting a dude that can't stay healthy over his career... That would hurt. 

Donaldson on just now, normally I wouldn't care about her thoughts but she seems plugged into the Rivera regime albeit she wasn't plugged into the prior regime

Trent overvalued his market value and they haven't gotten a legit offer this year.  She speculated that it would play out after the draft and if they can't get value for him then, we will see if he is willing to hold out again 

She hasn't heard Penn's name brought up as a substitute for Trent if Trent is dealt

She thinks Dunbar will play out the contract albeit reluctantly and try to earn his money for next FA

She doesn't think Cam is coming.  She doesn't know about Winston one way or another.  She thinks they are riding with Haskins, they want someone who will push him

Pushing Haskins, after last season, isn't that difficult. 

If he has improved to the point most of us hope he has, then beating a guy like Moore/Bortles out should be easy.

If he hasn't, then those guys are at least good enough to make a push and force him to improve his game. Competition doesn't have to be a highly paid free agent. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If he has improved to the point most of us hope he has, then beating a guy like Moore/Bortles out should be easy.

If he hasn't, then those guys are at least good enough to make a push and force him to improve his game. Competition doesn't have to be a highly paid free agent. 

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to piece together they like Haskins talent but have concerns about his ability to self motivate enough so they want to keep him on edge -- and if he's kept on edge they will get the best out of him or something like that.  There seems to be a zillion narratives that point to some variation of this point. 

With Robby Anderson's market slow to develop, I wouldn't mind seeing him here on a fair deal. Our WR corps already brought speed to the table, but Anderson would make it overwhelming. 

At that point, a sure-handed Greg Olsen type at TE would really bring things together. 

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Can you imagine the angst around here if he doesn't beat out whoever this person is?  lol  Either before the season or gets benched for this person.

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Can you imagine the angst around here if he doesn't beat out whoever this person is?  lol  Either before the season or gets benched for this person.

Honestly, if he doesnt have it that would be preferable, lets know quickly so we can adjust and try to get the QB next draft.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

... they like Haskins talent but have concerns about his ability to self motivate enough ...

I struggle with the concept/narrative that Haskins is not motivated enough.  Just doesn't make sense.

60978690_2429397410431718_4018580382361321472_o.jpg

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

The could extend Cams contract to make it more CAP friendly.He should be somewhat humbled by his recent status. I don't think he is coming to Washington though

I would not be shocked if they acquire Kyle Allen from the Panthers. He would be a decent backup, cheap and be familiar with system

I realize they can make the contract work but is it a good thing? No. I believe it would be stupid as hell. Even as a back-up it's a horrible idea. Ron's trigger would be quick knowing he has someone that knows the offense. 

I just do not want him, period.

Kyle Allen would be OK. He would be a good back-up. 

57 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Wow, and Melvin Gordon still out there.

Gurley already got a check from the Rams for $7.5 mil... they cut him because if he was on the roster at 4pm yesterday it woudl have been an ADDITIONAL $10.5 mil.  It's likely that Gurley took a big time discount because as far as AAV, he's already +$7.5 mil for 2020.

Gordon is probably looking for Zeke money / years, where Gurley signed a 1 year deal. 

Archived