Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Curious to see what a fanspeak Matt Miller Board draft looked like without adding any picks (assuming we trade TW after the draft, or let him stick around for a final year):

1.2: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Adam Trautman, TE Dayton

4.2: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT Auburn

4.36: KJ Hill, WR Ohio State

5.2: Troy Pride, Jr. CB Notre Dame

7.2: Matt Womack, OT Alabama

7.15: Binjimen Victor, WR Ohio State

Even if we just added a vet QB the rest of the way, this would be a draft that would make me feel pretty good with the state of our roster in the long-run.

Example of how the rest of Free Agency could change this ... if we were to sign Eric Ebron to a 3-4 year deal, I could see us going TE with 4th or 5th as opposed to a 3rd.

I don't expect our draft board to look much like this after the first pick although I agree they will take a tackle at some point.  Kyle was pretty clear that you don't fill needs in the draft, that's what free agency is for. No he believes you take the best player and so do most of us.  The smart executives leave their depth chart out of the draft room and take the best players regardless of position.  

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Curious to see what a fanspeak Matt Miller Board draft looked like without adding any picks (assuming we trade TW after the draft, or let him stick around for a final year):

1.2: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Adam Trautman, TE Dayton

4.2: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT Auburn

4.36: KJ Hill, WR Ohio State

5.2: Troy Pride, Jr. CB Notre Dame

7.2: Matt Womack, OT Alabama

7.15: Binjimen Victor, WR Ohio State

Even if we just added a vet QB the rest of the way, this would be a draft that would make me feel pretty good with the state of our roster in the long-run.

Example of how the rest of Free Agency could change this ... if we were to sign Eric Ebron to a 3-4 year deal, I could see us going TE with 4th or 5th as opposed to a 3rd.

Like your draft but I would replace Prince with Jack Driscoll.

3 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

So did Melvin Gordon fall of a cliff or is he just asking for too much for a RB? Its easy to see the regrets teams have giving a RB a big contract, dont get the value back out of it. 

He had a bad season after the hold out.  It majorly backfired on him.  He was offered something like 10-11 million AAV from the Chargers during training camp last year, but turned it down because he was looking for like 13+.

Now he's screwed.  He'll be lucky to get 8 million AAV at this point.  PFF projected him to sign for 7 AAV heading into free agency, and I would like for us to sign him for that number.  He's a really good player, arguably a top 20 offensive skill player in the NFL.  He's an all purpose yardage guy and touchdown machine with a gift for housing runs and catches whenever he gets an opportunity.  I think he's as good as Kamara, if not better, and he could certainly be a nice rotation weapon to lean on for a team who is trying to get the careers of young quarterback and young play caller off the ground.

I would be shocked if we signed him though.  We seem to really love Adrian Peterson and place a big value on his locker room presence and leadership.  And we also might have something pretty special in Derrius Guice.  I think McKissic is the only back we'll bring in this offseason aside from practice squad types.  For us to bring in a new and notable name, I think it will have to be someone falling to us in the draft.

17 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't expect our draft board to look much like this after the first pick although I agree they will take a tackle at some point.  Kyle was pretty clear that you don't fill needs in the draft, that's what free agency is for. No he believes you take the best player and so do most of us.  The smart executives leave their depth chart out of the draft room and take the best players regardless of position.  

Call me crazy but I like the idea of signing the best QB from the XFL....PJ Walker. He would not be a threat to DH but could be groomed to play in the league. 

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Call me crazy but I like the idea of signing the best QB from the XFL....PJ Walker. He would not be a threat to DH but could be groomed to play in the league. 

Great coach discovered him in NJ & got him to commit to Temple. Pj Walker recruiting stories are 30 for 30 good.

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't think that's crazy. PJ Walker, Jordan Ta'amu and Josh Johnson are all viable back ups as well. 

Walker and Ta'amu have more potential long term possibility.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think that's crazy. PJ Walker, Jordan Ta'amu and Josh Johnson are all viable back ups as well. 

Walker and Ta'amu have more potential long term possibility.

Really liked Ta'amu as a project coming out. 

32 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Not crazy at all. This is actually a really refreshing way to look at options here. I certainly do not want to sign Winston or Flacco, who have struggled 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

What doesn't make sense about it?    

Very simple.  The fact that he is now a professional with huge financial incentives/rewards waiting for him if he does properly prepare.  As far as I know ... nobody has ever questioned his intelligence.

Is it the "he didn't get this far not being motivated" argument?   

Nope.   His raw talent got him this far.   Per Urban Meyer:   He’s going to be great. He’s very intelligent.  His only issue is that he played just one year, every other thing he’s got it.  Great kid.  Very smart.  He was the most accurate passer that I’ve ever had.''

Or the videos of him working out show he's self motivated to be as good as he can be?    

Nope.  They're kind of silly ... but fodder for the less informed.

I can't speak for anybody else, but the whole not preparing properly until he was the starter stuff really bothered me. 

And ... imo ... that at least equally ...or more so ... falls on the coaching staff/organization for not properly preparing him from the beginning.   Almost criminal.

Guarantee if Gibbs/Parcells/Belichick were the HC he would have been ready.

Because even then, it took some weeks of falling on his face to really get it. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Was the first time I ever saw a rookie QB struggle in his first NFL games too.

That made me wonder how self motivated he was.  He seems to have done things to alleviate that concern as time has gone on, but I get if it hasnt totally gone away for some people.

Your concerns are valid ... and I understand.   I just respectfully disagree.

Was listening to Keim's podcast from yesterday with Carpenter.  Some of the points.

They wanted Cooper bad.  He said the $22 million a year wasn't even accurate from what he heard but offered actually $23 million a year

They are flexible on Trent if they don't get offered a 2nd.  3rd and change likely does it.  He said he's heard no noise on this but he thinks the two teams to watch would be:  Tampa, Minny -- Minny if they can clear cap room

Some of the veteran signings were big in particular Thomas Davis.  The defense in particular lacks locker room leaders and veterans to guide the young players so they want to help fix that

They know they want more playmakers on offense, its still on the docket, if it doesn't happen in FA don't be surprised that the draft ends up offense, offense, offense post Chase Young.

They think they are taking Chase Young

They won't go for Cam, he'd be expensive and has an outsized personality which make it difficult as to QB competition.  He thinks the competition for Haskins likely comes from a Keenum type of player

They are excited about Haskins' talent and plan to ride with him this season but they don't like him to the degree where they are saying we got our franchise QB and will be fine over the next 5-10 years -- there is some real uncertainty about him, they want the script to play out. 

They aren't being frugal to be frugal in FA, they are willing to spend if they love a player but just wouldn't overspend for a player they don't love

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

With TB signing a tackle this morning I wonder if they’re out on TW. If that moron doesn’t lower his contract demands he may as well just retire. God, some football players are just so out of touch with reality.

TB signed a RT for chump change. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Every beat guy, multiple national guys even coaches/Doug have all alluded to the point in different ways -- some made the point as blunt as a sledge hammer, some have said it more subtly-indirectly.

I don't put a lot of stock in the local "beat guys" opinions.   Especially Keim or Finlay.  They may have connections ... but I've never seen more than a surface knowledge of football displayed by those two.    At least 3/4 Extremeskin posters demonstrate a much deeper football acumen daily than those 2  ... yourself included.  🍻     Same goes for most "national guys".

To this point ... Haskins has gotten by on raw talent.   50 td's against 8 int's his sophomore year in the Big10?   Almost 5000 yards?  Without deep diving the playbook?   Pretty incredible.  Now is the time to be a professional ... and I'm confident he will.

Keim flat out said Rivera wants to see how Haskins approaches this off season and has a plan to "push" Haskins.  

Keim with some hard- hitting reporting ... lol.    He's barely click bait.

But the point has been exhausted on the Haskins thread, I don't feel like regurgitating all of the multitude of narratives on it.

I'm just responding.

As to how it relates to FA, I think they are riding with Haskins and want a dude that at least can give Haskins a run for his money albeit who is likely not good enough to supplant him.

Agree 100%.

As for which QBs are left in the market who can do that?  Not sure.  I haven't put much thought into it.  I don't think Winston or Cam would be good on that front because they'd assume they'd likely be starters and or if they don't win the job I'd presume they wouldn't be happy campers as back ups. 

Again ... agree 100%.

11 minutes ago, 09 said:

I don't put a lot of stock in the local "beat guys" opinions.   Especially Keim or Finlay.  They may have connections ... but I've never seen more than a surface knowledge of football displayed by those two.    At least 3/4 Extremeskin posters demonstrate a much deeper football acumen daily than those 2  ... yourself included.  🍻     Same goes for most "national guys".

To this point ... Haskins has gotten by on raw talent.   50 td's against 8 int's his sophomore year in the Big10?   Almost 5000 yards?  Without deep diving the playbook?   Pretty incredible.  Now is the time to be a professional ... and I'm confident he will.

I agree no reporter with a rare exception is some football expert.  I wouldn't care about Keim's X's and O's if he provided them.  But I don't see him as some clown as for getting information.  As an example, most of what happened so far in FA has pretty much played out as he spelled out it likely would.

Having said that, I don't care if someone like this or that reporter.  That's up to you as to who you trust or not.   It doesn't bother me one way or another. 

Archived