Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Trautman > Fant

And there at 66?? I have to go watch him again. I wouldn't be surprised if we take a mid-late round TE and make him very productive in this offense.

7 hours ago,  Master Blaster said

Speed is not the issue with the LB’s outside of Anderson and Hamilton, and neither will probably be on the roster in September. 

That would be another 2nd wasted for us.(c'mon Sweat)

Anyway, who's starting OLB?? Instincts were those two Bama boy's main attribute a few years ago. Lets see if JDR can spark their acumen again.

I'm pretty sure that between Ron and Jack, our defense is going to be very LB-centric and the guys we have will look a heck of a lot better.

I'm definitely not excited about Davis as a starting FS, but it could work. Still holding out hope that he is in for depth and versatility.

As far as sip, your post before about Trautman, I really really would like to draft him, but I have to agree with KDawg that the talent that's available will just be too much. Especially at WR. I'm sure we'll draft someone later, but that excites me about as much as passing on Howard in the first and selecting Sprinkle later on.

18 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He had a bad season after the hold out.  It majorly backfired on him.  He was offered something like 10-11 million AAV from the Chargers during training camp last year, but turned it down because he was looking for like 13+.

Now he's screwed.  He'll be lucky to get 8 million AAV at this point.  PFF projected him to sign for 7 AAV heading into free agency, and I would like for us to sign him for that number.  He's a really good player, arguably a top 20 offensive skill player in the NFL.  He's an all purpose yardage guy and touchdown machine with a gift for housing runs and catches whenever he gets an opportunity.  I think he's as good as Kamara, if not better, and he could certainly be a nice rotation weapon to lean on for a team who is trying to get the careers of young quarterback and young play caller off the ground.

I would be shocked if we signed him though.  We seem to really love Adrian Peterson and place a big value on his locker room presence and leadership.  And we also might have something pretty special in Derrius Guice.  I think McKissic is the only back we'll bring in this offseason aside from practice squad types.  For us to bring in a new and notable name, I think it will have to be someone falling to us in the draft.

I am usually on the side of the player, get what you can while you can. But when they make stupid moves, just as L Bell did in Pittsburgh, it's kind of hard to feel any sympathy for them for making a stupid, greedy, decision.  There are very few running backs that really make a big difference so it's kind of dumb to pay them big money when the money could be spent on other positions that are harder to fill.   

I know they have a lot of injury risk but I'm actually fine with the RBs (and WRs for that matter) they have now. They could always use an upgrade but there are many more pressing needs on this team.  

1 hour ago, TheShredSkinz said:

And there at 66?? I have to go watch him again. I wouldn't be surprised if we take a mid-late round TE and make him very productive in this offense.

7 hours ago,  Master Blaster said

Speed is not the issue with the LB’s outside of Anderson and Hamilton, and neither will probably be on the roster in September. 

I don’t think he’ll be there at 66. If he happens to be on the board, I’d be pleased with the pick - he’s a slightly more athletic & more physically Ertz, he’s a better Hooper. Similar guy. 

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I am usually on the side of the player, get what you can while you can. But when they make stupid moves, just as L Bell did in Pittsburgh, it's kind of hard to feel any sympathy for them for making a stupid, greedy, decision.  There are very few running backs that really make a big difference so it's kind of dumb to pay them big money when the money could be spent on other positions that are harder to fill.   

I know they have a lot of injury risk but I'm actually fine with the RBs (and WRs for that matter) they have now. They could always use an upgrade but there are many more pressing needs on this team.  

SF didn’t know who their best back was from one week to the next. Turns out, it was just the healthiest one. Keep guys healthy, don’t pay for RBs. KC & Sf move the ball with replaceable backs. 

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm pretty sure that between Ron and Jack, our defense is going to be very LB-centric and the guys we have will look a heck of a lot better.

I'm definitely not excited about Davis as a starting FS, but it could work. Still holding out hope that he is in for depth and versatility.

As far as sip, your post before about Trautman, I really really would like to draft him, but I have to agree with KDawg that the talent that's available will just be too much. Especially at WR. I'm sure we'll draft someone later, but that excites me about as much as passing on Howard in the first and selecting Sprinkle later on.

Not a lot of great cover guys on the roster & few (1) guy/s who can get open on the offense. The build will take some time, imo. 

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Not a lot of great cover guys on the roster & few (1) guy/s who can get open on the offense. The build will take some time, imo. 

I agree. I like this offseason for just that reason. SDH, Louis, JHC are all cover backers. We have coverage backers.

Offense I agree. Sims looked the part at slot, but we really need more talent and speed. Agree, that's why I can't see us passing over a better WR prospect for a TE.

20 minutes ago, volsmet said:

SF didn’t know who their best back was from one week to the next. Turns out, it was just the healthiest one. Keep guys healthy, don’t pay for RBs. KC & Sf move the ball with replaceable backs. 

It's nice to have a top level creator though.  The extra value of a guy like Gordon is that, if you can get him blocked to the edge either on a run or throw, such that he's now in one on ones with a corner or safety, then he's going to score.  It covers up for a lot of weaker spots in the unit.

The other good thing about backs is they're cheap, even when they're dominant players.  Their market is so depressed that you can get a guy who is as good or better a weapon than Amari Cooper for like half the cap amount.  And you can get a high end creator for a second round pick.  But it does get dicey with them in their second contract in terms of declining creativity.  That decline doesn't happen for all of the great backs, but it does for a lot of them.

The system/scheme has to be willing to utilize a workhorse at the position though.  The Jay Grudens of the world will never get value out of a great back, but a Scott Turner or Sean Payton or Greg Roman might.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

I don’t think he’ll be there at 66. If he happens to be on the board, I’d be pleased with the pick - he’s a slightly more athletic & more physically Ertz, he’s a better Hooper. Similar guy. 

Agree! I have a hard time seeing Kmet and Trautman there at 66. If they don't bring in a starting TE before the draft these are the only two that IMO can fill the spot. I don't like the idea of reaching but it would be forced due to roster need. The later rounders are not complete TE's. So many cannot block, lack speed or have inconsistent hands.

Boy are you correct, still lack cover guys and guys that can get open. And would add the OL issues need to find some resolution. It is a shame they didn't either extend Fowler or Scherff or settle the TW crap. Or for that matter to have been able to sign Olsen to settle TE or Cooper at WR even though it was for silly $$

I really liked the McKissic signing to resolve RB.They Def need to bring in at least one WR with some jets

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree. I like this offseason for just that reason. SDH, Louis, JHC are all cover backers. We have coverage backers.

Offense I agree. Sims looked the part at slot, but we really need more talent and speed. Agree, that's why I can't see us passing over a better WR prospect for a TE.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think people think this team is going to be a contender right away. And it could be. But the aim is overall improvement. Not overnight contendership.

a 25 year circus, coming off a 3 win season and our best player refuses to play for us. Not a lot of positives going forward, if you're looking from the outside.

However, from the inside, it looks like an owner who desperately wants to win has given the reigns to some very competent and up and coming Coaches/FO guys. A Ton of young hungry talent that really wants to win and has proven not to have any quit and now we're trying to build a baseline of expectation. 

At the very least, we should be fast and aggressive and our defense should be very respectable. Turner likes a quick physical offense.

Can we get every part we need over night? I guess we couldn't, but we swung for the fences when we should and backed off when we should.

I figure the bar should be a .500 team that doesn't get punked and is in every game. That's a lot to build on and we'll have the cash. 

The biggest issue Rivera has to resolve is what QB he want to ride with.

He has two very strong options available to him in Newton or Tua, balanced with gauging the true worth of his incumbent in Haskins.

I’d bring Newton in. However, we probably pass over and next thing he’s winning with the Pats.

50 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think people think this team is going to be a contender right away. And it could be. But the aim is overall improvement. Not overnight contendership.

I dont think we will...i could see another 3-6 game winning season...haskins dosent pick up the offense and we struggle on o...defense looks a little better but the offense hinders them...until the games count I'm still all in 15-1.

9 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I have a feeling that narrative will be changing soon. Ya know, family members never let you forget the past. It begins to be a pain in the ass when the only thing uncle vinny wants to blab about when he gets drunk is the ****ing past. Don't be uncle vinny. Look ahead grasshopper.

I looked ahead after the dream team off-season when we signed aging players like Bruce Smith and Mark Carrier. 

I looked ahead after the Spurrier and Zorn shenanigans. I looked ahead after the ineptitude of our offense with Gibbs 2.0 and Brunell throwing ducks 2-3 yards per play.

I looked ahead after Vinny, Haynesworth, Shanahan, the three receiver draft, the RG3 trade and fiasco afterwards with the “did the doctor tell him to go back in”

I looked ahead at the price gouging, the suing of the fans, the blacklisting of the media outlets.

I looked ahead during the Bruce Allen hell years, the Cousins contract circus while our GM couldn’t get his name right.

I looked ahead at our training and medical staff failures. I looked ahead at our screwup when spelling Londons name correctly. I looked ahead at the handling of the Trent situation and it costing us picks.

I looked ahead at us drafting a QB, when it was highly likely the coaching and leadership was about to change. Now the new guy is stuck with a QB who only the owner wanted.

I am not miserable I promise 😂 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

a 25 year circus, coming off a 3 win season and our best player refuses to play for us. Not a lot of positives going forward, if you're looking from the outside.

However, from the inside, it looks like an owner who desperately wants to win has given the reigns to some very competent and up and coming Coaches/FO guys. A Ton of young hungry talent that really wants to win and has proven not to have any quit and now we're trying to build a baseline of expectation. 

At the very least, we should be fast and aggressive and our defense should be very respectable. Turner likes a quick physical offense.

Can we get every part we need over night? I guess we couldn't, but we swung for the fences when we should and backed off when we should.

I figure the bar should be a .500 team that doesn't get punked and is in every game. That's a lot to build on and we'll have the cash. 

Skins should copy the Titans formula...build the defense and pound the rock. Tennessee has a coach who's a former NFL linebacker from a successful franchise during his playing days....sound familiar? The Titans don't have household names other than Derrick Henry and they balled out as a team. Very well coached, physical and confident. Hard to name the Titans WR's or TE....And we should have a better defensive line than what they have.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I

IMO it depends on how it unfolds.  In theory, I'd disagree with you and KDawg but that theory would be predicated purely on a guess.  That theory would be based on my guess that there will be greater odds that we can find a WR in the 4th round that comes close to equaling a 3rd round WR than we would at TE in this specific draft if things unfold like a standard mock.  The wildcard though is we obviously don't know if it unfolds like that.   

I can envision a scenario where I'd take a WR over a TE or for that matter a CB, or maybe a safety or O lineman.  It all depends on who is there.  For example if Isaiah Wilson is sitting there, I love that dude, I'd take him over a WR or TE in all likelihood.   

IMO the drop off from Trautman and Kmet (Claypool being the wildcard if they think he can be converted) to the next tier of TEs IMO is steeper than the typical 2nd tier WR to another typical 2nd tier WR in this draft.     And I like the next tier of TE types more than most (the Bryants, Albert O, Hopkins, etc).  But I don't like them anywhere near I do delving deeper into the WR class. 

Everything being equal, there are many more WRs in the buffet than TEs so I'd grab the TE first if I loved one, lets say they love Trautman for example.  The exception for me would be this.  That is, a first type WR drops to the third -- a dude like Higgins or Reagor, etc.   

But if the first tier guys are gone, they are arguably 20 receivers with very similar ability.  I thought it was funny when Rivera was talking about the receivers in this draft saying there are so many of them, that when he is finished watching one and then starts watching another he says to himself wasn't I just watching the same guy?  I know what he means.  I recall watching the receivers in the last draft, two of my favorites in that next tier they happened to draft -- McLaurin and Harmon.  But I didn't have a zillion man crushes on receivers in that draft.  This draft on the other hand is insane.  So if they don't for example get lets say Edwards or Pittman then maybe they get Duvernay or T. Johnson and on and on. 

I've seen you scream for TEs for years and want big bad bruising TEs. 😀 Trautman is typecast right out of a movie on that front.  He's a better blocker IMO than OJ Howard who you loved.   He's not that athlete Howard is.  I wished Trautman was faster.   But the dude is an animal on the field.  I am far from a Trautman or bust guy in the third round.  I got a ton of man crushes in that range.  Some who might fall who I like better than Trautman.  But if it's Trautman they take in the third, no complaints from me.   It would be no reach IMO. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Absolutely. Sustained success is what we're looking for, and I think if they build it right we will be on the correct path.

Trautman is a stud. I gotta continue my “scouting” and get a good read on the prospects in each group and get a kind of overall ranking in mind before I can really say how I feel about him as BPA at 66. He could be. I don’t think so... but he could be. I got a ways to go though :ols:

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Trautman is a stud. I gotta continue my “scouting” and get a good read on the prospects in each group and get a kind of overall ranking in mind before I can really say how I feel about him as BPA at 66. He could be. I don’t think so... but he could be. I got a ways to go though :ols:

I think we would be very lucky if Trautman was still there at #66.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd quibble here. Because the coaches are all new, the Redskins don't know exactly what they have. They know what they've studied on film, but I suspect there is an element to practicing, running plays, and seeing their WRs live and respond to coaching that factors in.

The coaches have a very good idea because they've probably done their homework, but they don't know. Just like a coach who recruits a free agent doesn't know how that free agent will perform in their system and why so many free agents don't live up to expectations.

Archived