Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Redskins: Ron Rivera, Head Coach

zCommander

I'm working today delivering milk and as usual I have my Redskins gear on... 3 time Superbowl Champion beanie cab and a pullover fleece with the Redskins logo on it... for some reason I feel more comfortable wearing it. 

Can't remember the last time I was so ecstatic for an offseason and the season 2 begin

I'm extremely excited for the potential of our defense... draft Chase Young and pick up a couple safeties and corners in free agencies..ohhhhhh... lawdy..

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I have to eat crow nom nom I didn't think a coach with a resume would come here.

It's pure gold to hear Allen had to be jettisoned for the interview to happen. It validates all that we have known for ~5 years.

I didn't think any coach with a resume would come here as long as Bruce was here. And I said in one of the threads that there would probably be HC candidates who would tell Dan that if he wants them he has to get rid of Bruce first, and it seems like that's what happened from some of the reporting.

I just didn't think Dan would actually do it.

Wasn't initially crazy about Rivera when his name was coming up as our possible next HC, but have warmed up to it significantly over the past 48 hrs. Now that it's official- I think I'm excited! This is going to work! And I definitely don't hate the idea of Del Rio becoming our DC! Dude wasn't a horrible HC in Jacksonville & Oakland and is one game under .500 for his career. More than happy to have him as our DC if it happens!

I have a really good feeling that Rivera is going to be even better in his second stint as a HC and that he's going to bring in the right people to turn this around! Looking forward to next season already- LET'S *****ING GO!!!

I was going to start a thread about Rivera's defensive philosophy. But the great thing about Rivera is he is willing to change up constantly. The guy is not one of these coached that is a "my way or the highway" guy when it comes to philosophy. Yes. He is a disciplinarian when it comes to details. But he is not set in stone on defense. Some examples:

1) This is from 2013. DC was Mcdermott. They ran a very disciplined 4-3 and rarely blitzed. More a bend but dont break style. And they ended up a top 5 defense. They would go on to be consistently good under Mcdermott. Finishing ranked 10, 2, 10 and 6th.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/8/5080004/panthers-vs-49ers-defense-breakdown

2) After Mcdermott left the Panthers defense really struggled. And Rivera tried hard to find a solution to it. This past season he even ran a bit of 3-4 to try to help with pressure on the QB. The result was the Panther rush defense was abysmal. And that ended up getting him fired. Their best season after Mcdermott left was in 2017 where they ranked 12th overall. Not coincidentally they made the playoffs again that season. WIlks played a very aggressive attacking system. And Rivera's take on it?

"Rivera said. “What we’ve done, we’ve been doing for seven years. Every year it gets refined and it takes on the personality of that season. It also takes the personality of the play-caller. Steve’s very aggressive, and he’s a guy that’s looking for opportunities and ways to do things. I think that’s a big part of it, is it’s taking on his personality and who he is.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/14/steve-wilks-carolina-panthers-defense

So what we see is a HC that allows his coordinators to do their job. Rivera is not so much a x's and o's HC as a master motivator and manager of men. This is a completely different hire than any coach under Snyder. Rivera doesnt really bring a philosophy to the game other than trying to win. It is going to be a fun ride over the next couple of years once we see who he names DC. I WOULD LOVE Jack Del Rio. And since there is really no reason to start a thread on Rivera's defensive system, because he doesnt really have one, I will wait and start a thread on Del Rio's if he ends up being hired. 

16 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Serious question, is this any different than the Shanahan hire?  If not, will it work out any differently?

Character of the man for starters. At least, we hope. None of shannys players where singing his praises when he left. 

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Character of the man for starters. At least, we hope. None of shannys players where singing his praises when he left. 

So the question was: would Rivera, Del Rio on defense, and Alex Smith running things be any different than Shanahan, Haslett on defense, and Bruce Allen running things?... Good lord, let's hope so lol...

38 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

Apparently Coach Rivera is going after Jack Del Rio for the D-Coordinator job.

Edit: Can someone explain the fascination with Josh McDaniels to me? He crashed and burned in Denver. In addition, he reneged on his deal with the Colts. 

MacDaniels also spent the 2 first draft picks from Cutler and the regular 1st round picks on Tebow, he traded one for a second round pick for a corner who was gone in a year.  He is picky for the spot he goes despite his trash record. He is arrogant and another horrible coach from the long list of coaches from the Patriots/Belichick coaching tree.  

I really really would like the Cowboys or Giants take him.

I watched his last press conference for the Panthers. Didn't know a lot about him besides his record and still obviously don't but watching that video just gave me a warm feeling. This dude comes off as such a good guy. It feels like with those teachers I loved, that cared about you and made fun from time to time but also had this natural aura of authority.

You just felt that the whole media room was sad to see him go. And all those players quotes talking about how awesome he is as a person and as a coach. In that press conference it felt like the whole room was gravitating towards him. Every reporter made sure to come up to the podium and shake his hand and thank him personally for the time and how they appreciated him. 

I just feel like this is someone we deserve after such a long time. And he talked so much about culture, even if he didn't mention it specifically. About how important it is for him to lead those players and set an example. And it didn't feel like empty words. One of the media guys asked him what it means to him that most of the players, when asked about their fondest memories with Ron, didn't talk about some coaching or on field stuff but rather about what he means to them personally and how much he affected them. He was extremely proud about that, you could tell.

Whether this hire works out or not on the field, I really feel like he can substantially change the culture around here. Having Alex Smith whisper in Snyder's ears and Rivera running the show feels like such a 180 turnaround to what we have had for so long.

I am beyond excited. Not because I automatically assume this franchise will compete but because for the first time since I don't know when there are actually people running the show that I like.

I thought Rivera might be on the hot seat last season but figured the timing wouldn’t work out. A year later and here we are. I really like the toughness of his teams and that they never quit on him. I’m not sure whether he can influence this clown show of an organization to be better or if it will pull him down the way it has other respected coaches we’ve had. I’m thinking in spite of how much I like Rivera and hope he succeeds,  it won’t go well given Lord Farquaad’s well known reverse Midas touch. We’ll just have to see. I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed.

Living here in NC and having seen many Panther games since watching the Skins has been so painful they are not even on TV much here anymore. I can say his record would have been much better if Cam could have figured out more than just 1 year not to throw the ball above his receiver's heads or at their feet. 

57 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm working today delivering milk and as usual I have my Redskins gear on... 3 time Superbowl Champion beanie cab and a pullover fleece with the Redskins logo on it... for some reason I feel more comfortable wearing it. 

Can't remember the last time I was so ecstatic for an offseason and the season 2 begin

I'm extremely excited for the potential of our defense... draft Chase Young and pick up a couple safeties and corners in free agencies..ohhhhhh... lawdy..

I wore my Redskins hat yesterday for the first time in two years, will be unpacking some gear in the next couple days.

53 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Lol, except I'm 41 and I STILL don't remember. 😂😂

I'm 43 and I remember ALL of it.  One of my earliest memories is the SB party and watching Riggo's run with family friends in Jan 1983.  I was 7.  Remember it like it was yesterday.

That moment is when I became a football fan.  Then going to 3 more SBs and winning 2 in the next 9 years...  I didn't understand the 'Skins COULDN'T be good.  It wasn't part of the conversation.  Then Norv and Casserly happened.  The best thing to happen for me at RFK after 1991 was the Guns n' Roses and Metalica concert.  Which I attended in HS.  Oh, what a (day and) night...

2 minutes ago, Itoolu said:

I wore my Redskins hat yesterday for the first time in two years, will be unpacking some gear in the next couple days.

I wore my Redskins pullover for the first time since 2017.  

56 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

I'm a man, I'm 40! ....urm. I mean I'm 40 and I remember. 

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Hasnt he been out of the league for a few years? Not sure how I feel about that.

I like Del Rio more than Wilks personally. Wilks had quite a bit of talent and his unit underperformed. Del Rio had talent in Denver and performed quite well. Raiders not so much but he didn't have a lot to work with either IIRC. Rivera and Del Rio IMO is a good partnership for this team's makeup.

Archived