Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Redskins: Ron Rivera, Head Coach

zCommander

When the dam is leaking, you are not worried about the paint.  This team has had a fundamentally disorganized and destructive foundation for a decade.  I think Ron is the pefect hire to start repairing a decade of neglect.  The Redskins didn't get there over night and they won't fix everything overnight, but this is a step in the right direction.  Ron Rivera's reputation instantly helps the "culture" of the team.  Realistic and justified hope is a powerful thing.

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I have to eat crow nom nom I didn't think a coach with a resume would come here.

It's pure gold to hear Allen had to be jettisoned for the interview to happen. It validates all that we have known for ~5 years.

He was so arrogant, when Keim asked him about the rumors after the game he smiled and said he would see them Monday. NO YOU WONT BUDDDDDYYY.

24 minutes ago, zskins said:

What you have to look at is what was out there or would be available? If Ron was the better choice now instead of two in the bushes then you take what is in your hand and hopefully he turns out to be better than what is in the bushes. I don't think he is a bad hire. He is still better than Gruden. 

I am glad he is defensive minded, I really like that.  I probably don’t know enough about him, and some of the stuff I here is encouraging.  I definitely better than Gruden (sounds like a motivator unlike Gruden) and I am super glad it’s not Marvin Lewis like some speculation had us going after.  I know they are few and far between, but I really wish we could find an Arians type that can lead men.

Like Jonathan Allen said I really want consistency because it is the hardest thing to establish.  I don’t know if he brings that.

Just now, Fred Jones said:

I am interested to see how much player acquisition control Rivera will have.  He, obviously, will be involved in the selection of draft choices and bringing in FA's.  But, will he be the deciding factor, be a GM/Coach or something in between.

It has been reported and reinforced multiple times in the last couple of days that Rivera doesnt want full control, just to have someone that he can work together with on personal and he has final say on the 46 on game day. He doesnt want to have to focus on FO stuff, which sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Sounds like until we assign a new GM, which is likely to be after the draft, he will have more input because no one is there currently.

I am ready to buy in again.  Thanks Dan for doing what needed to be done.  Only time will tell if these moves will bring success, but if you can't get excited about the changes that have been made why even bother being a fan anymore?

For me, one very encouraging aspect of our new coach, is that while he has prior head coaching experience...he has not won the big one.  Could we be getting a Bellichik type who does far better in his second stint than he did in his first?  I'm not suggesting he will have that level of success, only that he still has something to prove to himself. 

5 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

It has been reported and reinforced multiple times in the last couple of days that Rivera doesnt want full control, just to have someone that he can work together with on personal and he has final say on the 46 on game day. He doesnt want to have to focus on FO stuff, which sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Sounds like until we assign a new GM, which is likely to be after the draft, he will have more input because no one is there currently.

First false narrative already out there propagating.  Sigh

Although I like the fact that Allen is gone and a new head coach is in place, I'm not sold on the decision making here. Retreads don't usually work out, or even perform better in their second posting. However, the circumstances are unique so there's no way of knowing how this will turn out. His track record is known and I can see that Rivera has experience of high level success, but will he be able to apply it more consistently with the Redskins and turn this team into a contender? 

As a fan of the team, I wish him nothing but the best. If he achieves here what he did with the Panthers then that would make him the best coach of Snyder's tenure and hopefully at the very least mark the turnaround in the franchise's fortunes. One man alone cannot make the team a success, so here's hoping Dan puts in place the staff and facilities he needs to make this a success.

1 minute ago, hawgboy said:

Honestly no firm preference...McDaniels...Pagano.

I don't hate the pick... I just don't want to be here again in 4 years.

Agree. I wasn’t big on Rivera but after stepping back a bit there weren’t a lot of options this year and I do like his discipline style and 4-3 scheme. 

I’m interested in seeing what he does coach-wise on the offensive side. 

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

Mine or that he will have full control?

Nah, the thought that he's here only for some mad power trip, because of course Snyder is the only one dumb enough to give it to him. Fan opinions dont matter much, but I've been hearing some chatter from the media like that.

9 minutes ago, charles mannley said:

I know they are few and far between, but I really wish we could find an Arians type that can lead men.

By all reports this is actually one of his strengths.  He is loved by players and they bust their tails for him.  Highly respected in this regard.  We were extremely fortunate to get him in all honesty, imho.  Actually excited for next year already.  Good times ahead I hope.  We at least give ourselves a fighting chance now.  Looking forward to 2020!  Hail 

1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Dear Ron,

This whole, "winning more than 10 games in a season" thing....what's THAT feel like? 

-All of Us

Haha. I remember growing up when we used to think we'd had a terrible year if we didn't hit double-digit W's on the season. 

Very meh and underwhelmed on the appointment but I was set for that so any issues I have from his time in Carolina and the dude himself is a non-issue from here on in and he starts with no-preconceptions and a totally clean start as our HC as far as my outlook on him. 

Here's to a (hopefully) much brighter future.

Hail. 

Archived