Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Packers Prediction Thread: Cheezy Wins

skins island connection

Who wins the game?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Redskins continue to surprise, or flounder off?

• Redskins
    • Packers
    • I'm still scratching my head from the Panther victory

When: Sunday December 8th  1:00 p.m.

Where: the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field { in my dark raspy voice }

This Sunday, the Redskins travel up to Green Bay to take on the Packers, in a game that may be more of a wet game than a frozen snowy one.

The Redskins are 16-20-1 all time, and are 3-2 in the last 5, but 4-6 in their last 10 games against the Packers.

Offensively, the Packers are ranked 11th in points, 22nd in yds, 13th passing and 19th in rushing.

Defensively, they are ranked 14th in points, 28th in yds, 22nd against the pass and 25th against the rush.  hmmm...

This past Sunday, the Packers easily handled the maligned New York Giants 31-13 in a game where one minute the field was visible, the next it was blanketed in snow, which seemed to favor GB.

QB Aaron Rodgers has the Packers sitting at 9-3, battling for their division, but are 2-2 in their last 4 games, lose, then win, then lose, then win,

Rodgers has his favorite target Davante Adams, along with Allen Lazard, Geronimo Allison and Jimmy Graham, who has lost a few steps but is still a weapon to deal with. RB Aaron Jones isn't lighting the field on fire, but he does have the home field advantage. and GB has been getting away from the running game and look to get back on track.

Defensively, an old friend Preston Smith will be eagerly awaiting the Redskin offense, and has been having a good year. But the run defense woes continue to plague the Packers as they are ranked 25th against the rush, which seemingly should play right into the heart of the Redskins offense.

The Redskins went to Carolina and pulled off an upset win against a struggling Panther team 29-21.

QB Dewayne Haskins showed some signs of improvement. as he led the Redskins to a win, but it was the running game that stole the show.

RB Guise had his best day as a Redskin, and an older but still very dangerous Adrian Peterson showed he still has the tools to do the job as they combined for 228 yds and 3 TDs. This was what many had envisioned the team would be, a very good running team.

Defensively, the Redskins fell behind early 14-0, and the tvs were being turned off, beer cans thrown and cursing was often { ok that was just me } but the defense stayed together and began working as a unit; it helped that Panther QB Allen began to struggle and before we knew it the score balanced out until the 4th qtr when the Redskins opened up a 2 TD lead. The Panthers made a late drive to try and possibly tie the game, but on 4th down deep in Redskins territory, QB Allen scrambled back and lost his composure as the Redskin defense clamped down, causing a fumble that would essentially seal the victory.

So, this Sunday, once again the Redskins are big road dogs going up to Lambeau.  The pipe dreams of somehow in a miraculous turn of events leading the Redskins to an NFC East title are faint, but some are holding out for hope. Personally I think that the 'hope' that's being referred to is something that is rolled up in a small piece of paper, licked, lit and inhaled, a lot, but hey, its the NFL, why not? { believe, that is }.

The Packers have far more to lose than the Redskins do, which could play to the Redskins advantage. GBs inability to stop the run plays to the Redskins strength, so logic would dictate that the Packers would focus on stopping the run, which would open up the passing game, and if Haskins can maintain his composure he could possibly have a career day, but it all rides on the play calling.

Look for this game to be higher scoring than most believe. It could end up being a very entertaining aerial game, but composure is absolute key in this game.

When the dust settles and the cheese whiz can empties,

the Redskins put up a 59 minute dogfight, but lose the game in the final minutes.

Final score:

Redskins 30

Packers 34

First correct score prediction wins a new Redskins cap, beanie or golf towel.

So, good luck and as always,  G  O     S  K  I  N  S  !  !  !

I think this ends up as one of those games where Haskins's progress or lack thereof will be seen as more important than the final score.  That said, even an improved Haskins is likely not enough to beat a Packers team that is looking to lock up a prime playoff spot.

Packers 31

Redskins 17

Did I read that the forecast was fixing to be sleet and snow?

If it is, I like our chances to at the least give them heck of a ground battle and run for their money. 

Be getting ahead of ourselves to expect to go into 'Title Town' and come away with the W given the current levels/ injuries of both teams. As much as I hope and pray we do. 

So long as there's continued growth and progress with this young group, regardless of the final score. That's all you can ask. 

I'll err on a Packers win. With the Redskins pushing them all the way. 

Let's say 30-24. 

Here's hoping I'm DEAD wrong and the 'Skins ride the past two weeks confidence and momentum to 3 straight. 

Hail. 

No part of me thinks we will beat the Packers. And while it's kinda fun to run with the idea of the Skins actually winning the division after such a horrendous start to the season, I'm expecting that to come to a crashing halt Thursday night when the Cowboys beat the Bears.

But until then, we got 2 more days of stress-free delusion lol...so:

Skins 23

Packers 21

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

We lost to you guys last year. That was a tough loss but great for you all to watch. Peterson destroyed us I remember.

But you have a better team this year. We probably have a little more talent than we did last year but not the organization. You guys should win this going away. I always want the Redskins to win but I will not be that upset if you win. I like the Packers. 

Have to be honest though, if you play NO in the playoffs I will be rooting for them. I went to Purdue and have met Drew Brees a few times. 

Last year vs the Pack was a dominant win by Alex and the Skins.  But four (2 outside of QB & Location) key areas from last year's win are different and could impact it:

1.  Obviously Haskins at QB vs. Smith.  Just stating that one first.

2.  61% of the passing yardage went through Reed and Davis, this year we have Sprinkle.

3.  Green Bay had no pass rush.  This year, that's a huge strength and could really effect the passing game, with a rookie QB.

4.  This is going to be in GB, not DC.

Why the Skins have a chance.

1.  The Eagles and Chargers (2 of the 3 losses for the Pack) ran the ball up and down.  Gordon/Eckeler and Howard/Sanders...lets do another 2 headed monster.

2.  For the Skins to win, Haskins has to put some pieces together.  He needs to connect on a few big plays, one being a TD.  I think he's ready to do that.

But I know the Skins are on a roll.  I DONT want it to stop, but the pessimist in me is looming large.  I'm probably throwing $25 on the game for the Skins to cover the spread but I think Pack win:

33-24.

If the 'Skins running game is beasting it up out there, then it is possible to keep the game close for a couple quarters, maybe even through three, the problem is Washington has not shown the ability under Haskins to be able to score with any kind of urgency or quickness in the event they get down by 10.

If the game starts out 0-14 like it did against the Panthers, the Packers aren't going to self destruct and let the 'Skins hang around.  

For this to be a win the 'Skins have to use ball control, top, & end drives with TDs.

Archived