Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Just passing more and being more aggressive on 1st down isn't going to be the short term answer, either--because the other thing we are tops in the league at is running on 2nd and 10 after a 1st down incompletion...something that many coaches feel they HAVE to do in order to avoid the necessity of pass-pass-pass. Unfortunately defenses know this and that makes running on 2nd and 10 after an incompletion almost as inefficient as our running on 1st down all the time. This causes coaches to be accused of being pass happy when again, they are just choosing inefficient times to run and then falling victim to the necessities of the 3rd and longs they've conjured for themselves. They toss early downs in the garbage can in an effort not to be perceived as pass happy when it would be less damaging to the down and distance to just actually be pass happy, over a large sample size, ironically. 

The real answer is that you pass to take the lead and then run to win, to kill clock and keep the defense fresh--easier said than done without the talent to back it up. But it helps to heavily use play-action passing on early downs, and you DO NOT have to "set up" the run first for it to work, that week or any week prior. The analytics are very clear on that. PA passing just works, almost all the time. 

Whatever it is we are trying to accomplish with the inefficient early down ground and pound...we need to find ways to manufacture it in the short passing game in the first half, move at a high tempo, get the defense tired and playing from behind, and then pound the ball in the later 3rd and 4th quarters, while not taking our foot off the gas in terms of downfield shots and PA passing. 

When Sonny Jurgenson played he used the pass to set up the run and it worked well.  Our defense was horrible even though we had Sam Huff at middle linebacker

and Chris Hanburger at another linebacker position.  So if we won games it would be like 45-41.   Our running game was overshadowed by Sonny's awesome passing.

But we had Charlie Taylor who could run and later become an awesome wide receiver.  We could run in the 4th quarter to protect the lead.  In those days there were

no analytics of course.

14 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

When Sonny Jurgenson played he used the pass to set up the run and it worked well.  Our defense was horrible even though we had Sam Huff at middle linebacker

and Chris Hanburger at another linebacker position.  So if we won games it would be like 45-41.   Our running game was overshadowed by Sonny's awesome passing.

But we had Charlie Taylor who could run and later become an awesome wide receiver.  We could run in the 4th quarter to protect the lead.  In those days there were

no analytics of course.

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Is being gutless part of this identity being built?

I get it, Case sucks and all, but it would appear the goal was to not get blown out vs. actually try to win.

I would have to agree and this thread can be officially closed in my opinion. We don't get to play the Dolphins again this year. 

Not a ton of discipline upfront today. From holds, to false starts, to standing still at snaps. 

Run game was fairly effective early. Decent blocking.

Conditions dictated a need to run the ball. 

But KOC and Callahan didn’t take any risks. When you’re 1-5 you need to at least take some.

Overall, this game is what could have emphasized that this strategy is a sound one. A running game centered around attempts is what Callahan said he hangs his hat on. And the team put up a goose egg. 

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Is being gutless part of this identity being built?

I get it, Case sucks and all, but it would appear the goal was to not get blown out vs. actually try to win.

Per the majority, they don’t want this team to win. (Many going so far as wanting a 50 plus humiliation in their zeal against the owner which is beyond despicable thinking but I’ll leave that there.).

So that should have been perfect to that end right? 

Hail.

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Per the majority, they don’t want this team to win. (Many going so far as wanting a 50 plus humiliation in their zeal against the owner which is beyond despicable thinking but I’ll leave that there.).

Hail.

9BE489EC-CD8F-4502-988A-3931869D958D.gif

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail.

Sometimes it’s best to just take the L.

Tell me more about the discipline, please.

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Well, this great new strategy we have has now yielded an NFL low 8.5 PPG, and one of the 5 worst offensive performances in the history of the Washington Redskins.

This is the kind of disciplined commitment Tua can get behind.

Tua's talent would be completely wasted here. We'll never be able to get a coach who's innovative enough to design a system around his strengths. We'd just do the exact same thing we're doing now. 

So commitment to the run worked extremely well.  They averaged 4 yards per rush for just over 100 yards rushing in the game.  

They attempted 11 passes. 2 or 3 of them were shovels to Simms. 

Commitment to the run was a recipe for success.

/sarcasm

This is why a lot of posters said you just couldn’t read into anything from the Dolphins.  

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Tua's talent would be completely wasted here. We'll never be able to get a coach who's innovative enough to design a system around his strengths. We'd just do the exact same thing we're doing now. 

Actually if we had the #1 pick, and a coach could get complete control, that would be very enticing...

Gutty performance by the team.

Positives:

Played 60 minutes. While there was some plays made on them on D and some missed opportunities on Off, but it was not due to just being lazy or unprepared. SF just has better players. But they were out there competing the entire game. Good to see. 

Defense played with he most intensity as we have seen all yea.r The weather helped them some, but I do not think it would have been a blow out in good weather like others. The D was legit making plays against a very good and well coached offense. So call it what it is - they played more inspired. 

They did commit to the run - not entirely a good thing the way it played out. But will deal with the other in a minute. They did stay committed and in general it wasn't horrible. That first drive was very good despite how it ended. Nice start. 

Negatives: 

Commitment to the run to a fault - they never took advantage of the early success. Here is the reality check - 65 yds on 10 carries for 6/5 yds/carry on the first drive.  72 yds on 29 carries for 2.48 yds/carry the rest of the game. So the commitment to rush was not exactly a huge success after that first drive. 

Penalties - so much for being more disciplined. It is clear the opponent led to the fewer penalties. Now i am really curious how the 49ers made no mistakes but that is for a different thread. This team will need more than a few practices and some new players to stop these stupid penalties. It really hurts when you try to play a really consirvative style offense. You can't afford to make mistakes. 

Coaches being scared - there is being conservative and there is what we saw. They have some success on the ground early and they needed to take advantage of that. And I am not saying start tossing it all over the place. But a few of those first downs or 2nd and 6 or less they could have tired to get down field but nothing. 

Today was a small step forward - not enough to proclaim success for Bill C but enough to give it some more time. Incremental success. My initial thoughts are more that some players are glad Jay is gone more than any impact Bill C is having but it was a much better effort than I thought it would be. 

Minn will be a huge test. Could be a good opportunity. 

Side note: Really need to see Haskins after the bye. Let him play. Keenum is garbage. Colt not any better. Let Haskins play and se what you have. Is there enough potential or are you looking QB early next draft. 

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You can't read anything into this game, either, though...

If you could, what would this game say about the 49ers? About Kyle Shanahan?

Garapolo looked awful today and he hasn’t looked good all year. I think they’re going to get looking for a new QB sooner rather than later. 

The defense is very good, they were gashed in the first drive and basically shut everything down from there.

Thats about all you can glean from this game in these conditions.  

I think Kyle is a good coach, but that’s more based on years of evidence rather than this game. 

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sometimes it’s best to just take the L.

Tell me more about the discipline, please.

I'd honestly struggle to tell you much of anything as I only got home into the 4th quarter. 

But as you asked, 3 holds and 1 false start penalty for the offense through 8 quarters is a massive upturn on what went the 20 quarters prior to that. 

Still needs cleaning up but that's a big step in the right direction. 

Hail. 

Archived