Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

On 8/22/2019 at 2:12 PM, volsmet said:

It appears Flowers will be the best lg we have had in quite some time. Callahan deserves to have a Taco Bell in his office.

There is a humble & sexy mod named @MartinC who wasn’t so down on Flowers.

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

You aren't the only one toooooo?

You’re the guy who says something that’s not true & gets defensive when truth enters the discussion. 

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If your point is they lose but improve their mindset.  I am with you.   But that would still be playing up the upside of losing. 

Though I admit I don't care much about that mindset if it's a temporary coach -- I just don't buy its a big deal unless that same coach is back running the team.  As Cooley, Portis among others like to talk about -- one year doesn't carry over the next as for how the team functions and from their experience but its a clean slate, every season.   It makes sense to me especially if it's a new coach from one year to another. 

As much as he's one of my all-time favourite Redskins, Cooley to professionalism is what Trump is to rationalism.

Hail. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think its about hating Snyder more than loving the team or vice versa.

I think it is when it comes to this:

"I simply cannot understand how Dan Snyder gets chance, after chance, after chance with some folk on here. And it's the same folks time and again being apologists for him."

We aren't "giving him a chance"--as fans we don't have the power to do so. He doesn't need our approval or permission to do anything. Nor is anyone being an "apologist" or "defending" him or anything like that...

But if, say, Snyder is gonna pick a new head coach, then he's gonna pick a new head coach. As individual fans, we can either concentrate on how inept we think he is, or we concentrate on who would be a good HC to hire. I've observed it's hard for anyone to do both lol...other than paying lip service to one side or another--

"Tomlin may be ok but it doesn't matter as long as Snyder still owns the team he will meddle and whoever he hires will be gone in 3 years and Danny will say yet again that he's gonna find the best candidate and will hire another puppet he can control or some retired retread but nobody with any sense whatsoever would ever want to work for such a dysfunctional duo like Dan and Bruce so what's the point but yeah, Tomlin might be a good choice."

Or...

"Tomlin would be a great choice, get him in here pronto Dan, fire up Redskins One he will bring us a Super Bowl like he did for the Steelers and he's a no-nonsense coach he will knock Snyder into next week if he or Bruce tried meddling in things we have a good roster with lots of young talent if he can make Ben and Brown work together he will love working with Haskins and McLaurin, we need Tomlin's energy or go get that one dude who is coaching college and has everyone salivating over him moving to the pros or if Zimmer is canned after the Vikings don't make the playoffs again bring him in I would love to have him coaching the Skins the defense would improve overnight but yeah Dan still owns the Redskins."

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

We all know what we have to improve on as a football team. Which is pretty damning right across the board through the first 6 weeks of the 2019 season. And there are not many changes a new HC/ OC, the main staff changes last week, can implement through their first 7 days in those respective gigs, Not least when that change comes during a season. 

But, to their credit, there were some very noticeable swings in their first outing yesterday in Miami that they've both made a point of highlighting as major issues to address from the get-go this past week. And what will go a LONG way to setting the identity and turning around the losing culture here IMHO the more they are practised and built upon. 

So, moving away from the (natural) constant negatives with this team right now, let's focus on a few standout positives .....

The O-line/ Run game. 

Commitment to being a hard-nosed, smash-mouth football team still has a place in the NFL of 2019. Who knew? 

Now we can flippantly dismiss the Dolphins as being historically bad and the worst run defence presently in the league. Along with their pass rush ranking in the basement. And you have to caveat each individual game with game script/ how it plays out and what the opposition gives you et al. But the BIG swing in committing to the run on first/ second down yesterday from the first 5 games of the season was STARK and it can't be ignored the major improvement it lead to ultimately winning the game. 

Let's look at a few stats- 

Over the first 5 games, here are our numbers on the ratio of runs/ passes on 1st/ 2nd down. And what they've lead to on the position we've placed ourselves in on third downs- 

Week 1. @ Eagles. L 27-32. 

!st Down- R 10/ P 16. 2nd Down- R 4/ P 19. 

3rd Down situations- 15 third downs through the game, of which 10 were on the wrong side of where you want to be as to what's manageable. 5 or more yards. 

2/ 8/ 7/ 6/ 7/ 3/ 3/ 4/ 14/ 20/ 10/ 10/ 15/ 7/ 12. 

Week 2. Cowboys. L 21-31. 

1st Down- R 11/ P 14.  2nd Down- R 6/ P 14. 

3rd Down situations- 10 third downs through the game, of which 4 were in the negative 5 or more yards. 

14/ 8/ 8/ 2/ 11/ 3/ 1/ 10/ 3/ 4. 

Week 3. Bears. L 15-31. 

1st Down- R 15/ P 19. 2nd Down- R 3/ P 24. 

3rd Down situations- 11 third downs. 6 of which were for longer than 5 yards or more. 

9/ 22/ 6/ 10/ 5/ 9/ 2/ 1/ 2/ 1/ 1. 

Week 4. @ Giants. L 3-24. 

1st Down- R 10/ P 13. 2nd Down- R 6/ P 9. 

3rd Down situations- 12 third downs. Of which 9 were for 5 yards or longer. 

5/ 6/ 11/ 8/ 10/ 6/ 3/ 3/ 5/ 10/ 5/ 4. 

Week 5. Patriots. L 7-33. 

1st Down- R 11/ P 14. 2nd Down- R 8/ P 13. 

3rd Down situations- 12 third downs. 10 of which were for 5 yards or more. 

9/ 17/ 2/ 2/ 9/ 15/ 13/ 8/ 13/ 19/ 5/ 10

So prior to yesterday, going totally against common misconception, in 2019 we.ve actually passed more over the season on first and second down. (First Down- 76 P/ 57 R. Second Down- 79 P/ 27 R.). 

And out of 60 third-down situations on the year, an absolutely abysmal 39 were in third and long situations. 

Now, converse that to yesterday after the pin-pointed focus from Coaches Callahan and O'Connell on both a commitment to the run game aiding the passing attack (off Play Action etc), and a concerted effort to get into far more manageable 3rd distance situations- 

Week 6. @ Miami. W 17-16. 

1st Down- R 23/ P 5. 2nd Down- R 9/ P 8. 

3rd Down situations- 11 third downs, of which 4 were third and longs. With none over 3rd and 7. 

5/ 2/ 7/ 3/ 1/ 2/ 3/ 3/ 6/ 3/ 5. 

Quite the swing huh? In all facets. 

Yesterday, we also ran the football 5 more times than any other game this season (33 times. Eagles- 28/ Cowboys 17/ Bears 21/ Giants 17/ Patriots 20.). Which yielded the joint-most run yards on the season at 145. (Eagles- 13/ Cowboys 47/ Bears 69/ Giants 55/ Patriots 145.). For the second-highest yards per rush attempt on the season at 4.4. (Eagles 2.2/ Cowboys 2.8/ Bears 3.3/ Giants 3.2/ Patriots 7.3.). Along with putting up the joint most first downs running the football on the season at 5. (Eagles 0/ Cowboys 4/ Bears 2/ Giants 2/ Patriots 5.). 

With the fewest tackles for a loss # running the football on the season at 1 for a 1-yard loss. 

Tell me again this is NO different to Gruden's scheme/ play-calling and running the rock doesn't fly in the modern NFL?

Which in turn leads on to the BIG improvement yesterday in the offensive front. Not only was that the best running output, from most every standpoint, on the year, but it was the first time all year they kept the QB upright without a single sack conceded. (Prior to yesterday, we'd given up 15 sacks through the first 5 games for 135 yards.). 

But even more remarkable, considering they've had a mere 3 practices to work on this with the players were the following that jumped right off the screen to me- 

Offensive Penalties

Prior to yesterday, we'd been penalised on offense (either accepted or declined penalty's), THIRTY-FIVE times though 5 games. 

The breakdown of which was- 

Holding- 19. 

False Start- 8. 

Illegal Use of Hands- 2. 

Illegal Formation- 2. 

Delay of Game- 2. 

Illegal Shift- 1.

Chip Block- 1. 

Yesterday, after making the switch last week to really emphasise practice penalties by both bringing in local officiating crews to the practices and having a daily score of what mental/ fundamental mistakes the players were making to incur those penalties (absolute madness to me how this wasn't standard here! Along with going 1-on-1 at full game speed in practice. Practice how you play- It's not rocket science!), along with having a season joint low 6 penalties as a team, we were penalised ZERO times on offence. Which is a bloody miraculous turnaround in discipline regardless of who the opposition were! 

Again, we all know of the many other ills that currently beset this group. In all three phases. But in Week 1 of an interim veteran HC trying to, at the very least, change the culture here to a disciplined, hard-working, professional football team who will have a hard-nosed, smash-mouth identity that you KNOW you've been in a game against us EVERY time you set foot on the field to play the Redskins, all of the above are some MAJORLY positive building blocks to lay the foundations to that end. 

They may seem small and incremental, but we're both starting from rock bottom and have to start rectifying things somewhere before we expand to fixing others. 

It's all a process that will take FULL, day in, day out commitment to seeing through. And they'll be FAR harder challenges ahead than the Dolphins and a lot of natural dips along the way in terms of results. 

But the signs yesterday down in Miami, at least in the noted areas, were very positive indeed from what went before. 

Hail. 

I'll let Warren Sharpe Speak for me:

4 hours ago, -JB- said:

How much do they pay you to write that stuff??  They’ll gain exactly 12 yards rushing vs the 49ers LOL

I think you're being overly ambitious. 

The dolphins were in each of the games against the Patriots cowboys and chargers until the second half started..that's why he is completely baffled to what's going on in south beach..not sure if its coach flores or the brass that's calling down for a tank job from the coach

25 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Well, my point isn't to hope for losing lol...I always root for the Skins to win.

In the throes of a game I root for a win.  But in a season like this, I am happy if its a loss when the game is over.  It's an odd dance but that's how I roll in season like this one.  😀  I know some here actively root for a loss during a game, that's cool with me, or if people want to win no matter what -- that's cool, too.  My take on fandom is whatever floats your boat.

25 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

And I don't necessarily agree with what Cooley and Portis said, at least not about player mindsets carrying over to the next season. Doing things and approaching your practice, training, and performance the right way is a habit--to me, habit and mindset go hand-in-hand. It's like muscle memory...you do it long enough and after awhile you do it without thinking.

That Lombardi quote someone posted on one of the threads makes all the sense in the world to me and could apply here as well: "Winning is not a sometime thing…it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while…you don't do the right thing once in a while…you do them right all the time."

To me, you don't wait until the next offseason or until the next coach comes in to start doing things the right way...if there was/is anything that needs to be done to start improving how players are approaching things, start it now. It'll carry over to next spring and training camp, regardless of the coach.

I get it but to ride that point we'd be working on a premise that Callahan is this transformative coach.   We've had honeymoon phases with really every HC here with and this time its a different drill.   This is the ticket, etc. 

I don't see Callahan is like Patton stirring up the soldiers and changing their lives.   Robin Williams with a carpe diem approach to transform his students, etc.  If Callahan is that good and is brimming with a winning mindset than why haven't people been beating down his door to be a HC elsewhere?  It's been a long long time since he's been a HC.   I am not saying you are saying otherwise but just explaining my take.   And again I am not negative on Callahan either.  I am agnostic on him and that includes not buying that he's so good that his stamp will last by building this winning culture with legs.   For me to believe that I'd also have to think Callahan is quite a special HC.  And if he's that good than Dan would be a fool to let him go.

58 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The biggest change is that 30-40% of Peterson’s carries would have gone to other backs. 

This shouldn't be overlooked. Callahan has zero problems regularly feeding AP the ball...in contrast, Gruden made him a healthy scratch to start the season and took a jab at him about activating him if they call 35 runs from the I-formation.

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Talk about a family that knows how to scheme up a running game -- The Shanahan's have their faults but they know how to run an offense -- especially the run game.  they also know how to set up play action by making it difficult to hone in on what's coming via their formations.  

No doubt but it doesn't hurt when Breida is hitting 22 miles per hr as he strides down the sideline for a TD.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get it but to ride that point we'd be working on a premise that Callahan is this transformative coach.   We've had honeymoon phases with really every HC here with an this time its different drill.

I'm not working on that premise, but I am of the belief that you start working on doing things the right way now, even if your head coach isn't the best one to motivate you into doing so. I also tend to believe that he does know the right way to go about doing things--most coaches do. And if you get certain players on board--guys like Jonathan Allen and Adrian Peterson--it also goes a long way in setting a locker room atmosphere. Callahan might be doing that, but I dunno...hoping he is, though. Him having the team captains facing the rest of their teammates during warm-ups on its own might be little more than symbolic but it also could be one of several ways of making the captains see themselves differently as well as the players see their captains differently. All baby steps at this point but those steps can matter.

23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I think it is when it comes to this:

"I simply cannot understand how Dan Snyder gets chance, after chance, after chance with some folk on here. And it's the same folks time and again being apologists for him."

We aren't "giving him a chance"--as fans we don't have the power to do so. He doesn't need our approval or permission to do anything. Nor is anyone being an "apologist" or "defending" him or anything like that...

Anybody though could come at their passion in their own unique way and their opinion is valid from their own perspective.  The opposite of love is indifference.   

Some think hating Dan and refusing to run with his new version of selling new beginnings -- is being loyal to the winning Redskins brand they grew up with.  They see Dan as a loser and aren't buying the new soup he's peddling. 

Some think they can eventually shame Dan into eventually changing -- like the dude who spent $1600 of his own money to run the banner above Hard Rock stadium.   If I recall correctly from another post you've made on this point, you don't believe in that.  If so, that's cool.  But there are some who do believe in it. 

Some think Dan will never change so lets ride with what's he got because that's what we are stuck with.

And you got other variations of this, too.    It's about whatever angle you got on it.  

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

The biggest change is that 30-40% of Peterson’s carries would have gone to other backs. 

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

This shouldn't be overlooked. Callahan has zero problems regularly feeding AP the ball...in contrast, Gruden made him a healthy scratch to start the season and took a jab at him about activating him if they call 35 runs from the I-formation.

Exactly. 

From the changes to practice (work ethic/ discipline/ toughness- bringing back the competitive edge of going one-on-one/ bringing in local officials et al), through a commitment to not only more smash-mouth runs but a modern-day all-time great rusher, the change in the noted aspect of this thread is night and day from what went before. 

One begets the other, begets the other, begets the other, begets the other ..... And they all go into the final product. 

How anyone can straight-faced, as to the topic at hand, say there's no difference between the lax ship Gruden run and what we've seen this past week culminating in the game yesterday (regardless of the standard of the opposition or anything else), is absolutely beyond me. 

And why anyone wouldn't want that to continue, especially given this is a young group in the main, just staggers me. 

Each to their own I guess. 

Hail. 

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm not working on that premise, but I am of the belief that you start working on doing things the right way now, even if your head coach isn't the best one to motivate you into doing so. I also tend to believe that he does know the right way to go about doing things--most coaches do. And if you get certain players on board--guys like Jonathan Allen and Adrian Peterson--it also goes a long way in setting a locker room atmosphere. Callahan might be doing that, but I dunno...hoping he is, though. Him having the team captains facing the rest of their teammates during warm-ups on its own might be little more than symbolic but it also could be one of several ways of making the captains see themselves differently as well as the players see their captains differently. All baby steps at this point but those steps can matter.

Yeah but what coach haven't we got that narrative on?  Even Zorn was doing it the "right way" in theory when he came.  Every new approach is hyped.    It's just tough for me to believe that Jay was running practices like he was a baboon and Callahan has gotten it all right now -- and if that is the case it doesn't speak much for Bruce-Dan who supposedly are at almost every practice let alone giving him a 10 million dollar extension. 

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

No doubt but it doesn't hurt when Breida is hitting 22 miles per hr as he strides down the sideline for a TD.

Yep but his dad was famous for doing it with no name types.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah but what coach haven't we got that narrative on?  Even Zorn was doing it the "right way" in theory when he came.  Every new approach is hyped.    It's just tough for me to believe that Jay was running practices like he was a baboon and Callahan has gotten it all right now -- and if that is the case it doesn't speak much for Bruce-Dan who supposedly are at almost every practice. 

I personally don't think Zorn had the gravitas to back up any of his "right way" methods in a manner that would make players buy in...this is actually something to consider: right now the Skins are a relatively young team, the roster Zorn took over was heavier on the aged vets who are more set in their ways and would need more convincing. It's one reason why I think doing everything now to help instill good habits and the right mindset and approach needs to be implemented asap and not down the road.  It's also another reason I would never root for losses...these young players need to see their hard work and effort and production lead to something positive other than "hey, we got a shot at the #1 overall pick now". McLaurin with a half-smile on his face after the game was great to see...these young guys need to see their efforts bear fruit. Will Compton tweeted something after the game about being proud of the Skins players and how it's easy to lose concentration or just not care too much when you're 0-5 and the season seems lost already but it's damn hard to still want to go all out and fight for a win no matter who it's against (he ended it with #HTTR).

I also don't think Gruden was drinking margaritas on the sidelines and taking selfies with players or anything like that lol...but I will say that I was bothered by his continuously bringing up whether or not he was gonna be fired. I can only imagine players respond and react to stuff like that--sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way.  

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

McLaurin with a half-smile on his face after the game was great to see...these young guys need to see their efforts bear fruit. Will Compton tweeted something after the game about being proud of the Skins players and how it's easy to lose concentration or just not care too much when you're 0-5 and the season seems lost already but it's damn hard to still want to go all out and fight for a win no matter who it's against (he ended it with #HTTR).

LOL, I don't want to hijack GHH's thread.  So let me sum up this way.

A. For me I think we are arguing an uncertain premise not a given premise.  

B.  I think dudes like McLaurin will be more than fine in their career with or without Callahan's guidance or a 1 point win over the Dolphins

The premise-conclusion to me isn't.

A.  Callahan does it the right way

B.  Don't you guys want our players to do it the right way?

Of course I want players to do it the right way.  But I just don't accept that Callahan does it the right way as some truism and the points build off of that.  We all got our own perspective on that stuff.   If I saw Callahan as a Saban or Belichick, then I'd be on board with every point made here.  But I don't.  It's that simple for me.    And I am not negative on him either.  Like I said I am agnostic, I'll see how it plays out.  As I've dived deeper into Callahan's profile, there are things I dig about him and there are things I don't.  I need to see the movie play out a little before accepting the Callahan way is the right way. 

I don't know if this was already discussed, either here or on the Callahan thread, but...

A lot of people here have been saying if the Dolphins had started Fitz the entire game, the Skins would have lost...if the Dolphins had kicked the extra point (and made it lol), the Skins would have lost in over time...

Has anyone said if the Skins still had Gruden as head coach the Skins would have lost?

Because there could have been a number of significant changes if Gruden were still calling the shots. @Burgold mentioned one--AP's carries going to other RBs. Also, does Colt start if Gruden is still here, and if so, does Colt play better than, worse than, or the same as Case? Would he have thrown an INT (or two)?...Does Case become QB2 and Haskins is deactivated for the game instead? Does Haskins get any reps with the starters during the week? Callahan had said he felt there was a benefit to Haskins being on the sidelines, not sure if Gruden felt the same or if he was only Case's backup because Colt was still injured...

They won maybe they can find a way to win another one if I don't watch the next game either.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't know if this was already discussed, either here or on the Callahan thread, but...

A lot of people here have been saying if the Dolphins had started Fitz the entire game, the Skins would have lost...if the Dolphins had kicked the extra point (and made it lol), the Skins would have lost in over time...

Has anyone said if the Skins still had Gruden as head coach the Skins would have lost?

Because there could have been a number of significant changes if Gruden were still calling the shots. @Burgold mentioned one--AP's carries going to other RBs. Also, does Colt start if Gruden is still here, and if so, does Colt play better than, worse than, or the same as Case? Would he have thrown an INT (or two)?...Does Case become QB2 and Haskins is deactivated for the game instead? Does Haskins get any reps with the starters during the week? Callahan had said he felt there was a benefit to Haskins being on the sidelines, not sure if Gruden felt the same or if he was only Case's backup because Colt was still injured...

So many imponderables to consider.  Where does one begin.

4 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

this game does not warrant any "deep dive" retrospective.  it should not be discussed, it should not be remembered and we are all worse for having it witnessed it.  nothing good came of it in any way shape or form.  a meaningless preseason game between two bottom dwelling, helpless teams.

I disagree. Dolphins have a plan. 

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

*Nods in wholehearted agreement. 

The bolded certainly hasn't been lost on myself. 

Nor, to add, has the fact that next to nobody has mentioned the Hopkins missed field goal the start of the 4th quarter that puts us up 3 scores and who knows how big a win that then rolls into?

Just a slew of 'reasons' trying to lesson the Redskins first win of the year. 

Hail. 

4 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I'll let Warren Sharpe Speak for me:

I think you're being overly ambitious. 

To the Warren Sharp quote, I'll look for the star next to this win in the standings where it says we beat a bad team. Is there also a star next to NE, NY, Phi, Chi and Dal for beating us? I mean aren't we barely a pro team? 

Wins and losses are wins and losses. Not shoulda-been-wins and almost-losses. Over the last 6 years we've showed we can almost win games and lose to teams we're "supposed to" demolish. So the fact that we did come out with the W means something.

And if Sharp (and whoever else) wants to say they tanked, I hope you start a go fund me for the players and coaches in Miami that get fired after this season because thats what happens after tanking. Heck look at Joe Barry and the stain on his resume, and he was the DC of a team that went 0-16. We hired him here and fans thought we had committed a moral sin or something. Brian Flores is a Black coach and if there's anything we know about Black coaches in the NFL, its that they don't get many second chances. So 

To the

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Of course I want players to do it the right way.  But I just don't accept that Callahan does it the right way as some truism and the points build off of that. 

My feeling is that Gruden was not doing it the right way this year. Callahan seems to have started restoring a little of the "right way", but he doesn't have to be a HOF coach to do that. Gruden's demeanor and outward personality were off this season in my eyes. And if any of the "anonymous sources" crap is even slightly accurate, players and other coaches were noticing.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

EDIT: Whoops, looks like this was posted earlier.  But it bears repeating.

Confused here...isn't winning and "almost" losing both winning? lol...Sharp is literally saying "Committing to the run game did not allow the Skins to win, it allowed them to win ugly." Okaaay...but it still allowed them to win, right?

And is he saying the Skins should not have committed to the run game so that they could have won in a purty fashion? lol...

Archived