Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's hard for me to look at the draft and not be specific versus theoretical.    And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see Chase Young is special.   IMO if you add a K. Mack, Von Miller, Bosa type killer pass rusher on the edge to what they have already cooking on the interior it could be a game changer.  See what happened to the Bears last year and the 49ers this year.  It's a big big deal. 

For me there is nothing that Callahan is doing or not doing that makes me veer from that point.   I just think there is a little chance the dude is the HC next year and in my view every HC brings their own culture.   I think a killer pass rusher or adding another stud player beats anything else that an interim coach does.    I don't think this team's talent is that great but IMO it also isn't that bad.    I think its a pass rusher, CB, QB, O lineman away from a major leap.    Hopefully the Qb is in house.

I'd rather the new coach already have a team that's been trending towards hard-nosed, disciplined play. In that regard, what @Gibbs Hog Heaven was extolling makes sense in my opinion...it won't matter whether or not Callahan is here next year or whether or not his efforts lead to more wins. What matters is getting the players who are here into a different (could arguably say improved, even) mindset that translates down through the depth players and travels in colder weather and opposing stadiums. Any new coach is gonna be using 95% of these players anyway. Things have been missing that are fundamental to being a successful team...never too early to start trying to add those things back in.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

First: The holds. Why does it change when Callahan is the head coach versus Gruden? Is the implication that Gruden told the guys to hold? The OL was coached by Bill Callahan when they got the holds. The new guy came in this week and the hold went down. If we give Callahan credit for a turnaround in general, should the new OL guy get credit for the hold issue being fixed? Or are the Dolphins so bad that they didnt need to hold? Lots of factors here.

I'll take a stab at this. The passing attack puts us particularly our OL into a different attitude. They're forced to play off their back feet a lot of the time with these passes. And even with the Gruden runs, many of them were draws to Thompson and plays that look like passes then we do the ol fakeroo and hand it off, and those slow delveoping runs. I hate those because its not consistent to smash mouth philosophy. 

I think last year we were better at that, but kinda reluctantly so. Its like we were told that we have to run AP because he's all we've got so we tried to make it work. I don't excuse Cal (my new nickname for the HC) but I think philosophy matters a lot. 

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'd rather the new coach already have a team that's been trending towards hard-nosed, disciplined play. In that regard, what @Gibbs Hog Heaven was extolling makes sense in my opinion...it won't matter whether or not Callahan is here next year or whether or not his efforts lead to more wins. What matters is getting the players who are here into a different (could arguably say improved, even) mindset that translates down through the depth players and travels in colder weather and opposing stadiums. Any new coach is gonna be using 95% of these players anyway. Things have been missing that are fundamental to being a successful team...never too early to start trying to add those things back in.

To use a 2011 draft analogy, I'd rather have Von Miller than Ryan Kerrigan -- over making a point to some players that you'd hope would translate from one era to the next.   

I am actually not that impressed with Callahan from what I've seen.  I am not unimpressed either.  To me Callahan is going medium.  Some things I like.  Some things I don't.  If I thought we got Belichick for a 2 month boot camp session to turn around the mindset of whomever needs it then maybe I'd be closer to this take.   My larger point is that the next HC whomever that is will impose their mindset. 

The Niners are scary in the backfield, Breida and Coleman are both fantasy worthy and I think Breida could be an Alvin Kamara type if they give him the chance, I think its the best backfield in the NFL right now and it's gonna be a rough day for our defense.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The Niners are scary in the backfield, Breida and Coleman are both fantasy worthy and I think Breida could be an Alvin Kamara type if they give him the chance, I think its the best backfield in the NFL right now and it's gonna be a rough day for our defense.

Talk about a family that knows how to scheme up a running game -- The Shanahan's have their faults but they know how to run an offense -- especially the run game.  they also know how to set up play action by making it difficult to hone in on what's coming via their formations.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To use a 2011 draft analogy, I'd rather have Von Miller than Ryan Kerrigan -- over making a point to some players that you'd hope would translate from one era to the next.  

But it's not either-or. You can improve discipline and the players mindset (could even call it culture) and still get Von Miller.

A high draft pick and a tougher, more disciplined roster both pay dividends down the road. Why not want both?

We beat the Dolphins....by 1 point. 🤦‍♂️ 

12 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I bet given a couple of years Callahan could get us up to 8-8 or even 9-7!

I love this, and seriously, that is basically our high point.

OP, I appreciate the analysis and your commitment to it.  I am not in the same camp as alot of folks on here who are just trashing the skins and predicting a blowout.  I do believe; however, that it is only one game and let's see what happens on Sunday.  With any luck we get a little bit of run game established in the first half and can stay in the game.  It's hard to take much out of yesterday because the Fins are so god awful.  

"Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?"

Almost 2 decades of failure later, we're back to Martyball!!!

We've come full circle and maintained our standard level of ineptitude the entire time!

Whohooo!!!

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

But it's not either-or. You can improve discipline and the players mindset (could even call it culture) and still get Von Miller.

A high draft pick and a tougher, more disciplined roster both pay dividends down the road. Why not want both?

If your point is they lose but improve their mindset.  I am with you.   But that would still be playing up the upside of losing. 

Though I admit I don't care much about that mindset if it's a temporary coach -- I just don't buy its a big deal unless that same coach is back running the team.  As Cooley, Portis among others like to talk about -- one year doesn't carry over the next as for how the team functions and from their experience but its a clean slate, every season.   It makes sense to me especially if it's a new coach from one year to another. 

I do agree if it's the same coach from season to season, they can instill their mindset whatever that is.  I am not blown away by Callahan's rhetoric in that regard.   I got no man crush on the dude (not saying you do).  We've had winners (Coughlin) in the NFL with a similar approach and losers (Schiano, etc).   I am not put off by Callahan either.  I am agnostic on the dude.   I like some things about him and don't like other things about him.    But I admit I'd be a lot more interested if I thought there was a good chance he's back. 

Fundamentally, we agree.  But my point is just about the losing.  And to get geeky on this, IMO this draft is likely going to be a special one.  If this was like the 2013, 2015 draft, I wouldn't care so much.  But I think we can get a player or two that can really tip the balance for his team IMO.  

I get it.  OP is just saying, a "culture change" and different approach to practicing etc is a good thing, and it's nice to think that it may be in the works.  At least that's how I see it, and it's the only good thing I can take from it.  A more detailed approach to practicing limiting penalties , with more thorough concepts to do so, that's great.

The game though, no, it was two awful football teams and I'm taking virtually nothing from it.  AP or any decent running back...that team should run for toward 200 yards on the dolphins, and they have.  Of course we ran a lot on the dolphins.  We, particularly, have every reason to, because we have nothing else besides Terry, and if it wasn't for him, we score 3 points in that game.  We're THAT bad.  

We obviously need change, but trying to become a smash mouth old school football team is not the way out, in my opinion.  We need Haskins to develop and throw it to Terry, in the short term.  So worry about Oline.  Long term we make sure the running game is reliable, and put some more weapons in there for Haskins. 

Can't stress enough how much this dolphins game did not matter.  I mean, great for the guys to get a W and all.  But this might be the worst redskins team I've ever seen and it will likely show for the rest of the season.  Figure out what we're doing at QB first, this run the ball culture thing can wait.

I simply cannot understand how Dan Snyder gets chance, after chance, after chance with some folk on here. And it's the same folks time and again being apologists for him. 

"Just give this little fix, this little change, a chance," they say. "Hey, so Dan's original plan didn't work, well wait a second cause here's the sensible solution to it, now give us another 3 to 5 years to implement it."

It's been nothing but 3,4,5 year rebuilds, one plan after another, fix after fix ... and none of them work. "Just give us another 5 years to fix it."

This is what no term limits for the dictator looks like. Endless corruption and when plans fail, when the public shows evidence of the corruption, of the squandering of money and who was responsible for it, guess what -- no accountability because no term limits. Dictator has absolute power.

Even when we catch Dan and Bruce red handed in their failure, they then find a quick solution to the problem they created. "Give this one a spin."

Then later comes the sweeping grand showcase plan, Dan's shock and awe. "Now gives us another 5 years to make this thing work, don't rush us."

Annnnnnnnd, it doesn't work ... "well it was this persons fault, we need to establish an identity ... blah,blah,blah."

In exasperation Dan begrudgingly and only half heartedly tries the "hire a GM and let him do his thing" method. But of course undermindes that person from the start. And when the team doesn't win, guess what -- that guy was a drunkard anyway.

Another person gets a swing and their first mistakes are pounced upon by Dan and company and rode out of town, blamed for everything.

Dan has had endless opportunity to try every damn approach, angle, style and yet the the man fails, and fails, and fails. Whether it be Dan's decision outright, or Dan's specific hire outright, or the people Dan put in charge to make decisions, or the outsider brought in to make a choice on their own then crucified, it all ends in fails. 

Yet, we got to give Dan another chance. What is wrong with you people? 

11 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I simply cannot understand how Dan Snyder gets chance, after chance, after chance with some folk on here. And it's the same folks time and again being apologists for him. 

"Just give this little fix, this little change, a chance," they say. "Hey, so Dan's original plan didn't work, well wait a second cause here's the sensible solution to it, now give us another 3 to 5 years to implement it."

A lot of fans love the Redskins more than they hate the owner, so that's what they concentrate on. A certain percentage of the fanbase hates Snyder more than they love the Redskins, so that's what they concentrate on.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

A lot of fans love the Redskins more than they hate the owner, so that's what they concentrate on. A certain percentage of the fanbase hates Snyder more than they love the Redskins, so that's what they concentrate on.

At the end of the day Snyder's profits and happyness does nothing for my week. But a Redskins win helps me through a lot of stuff. 

19 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

It's been nothing but 3,4,5 year rebuilds, one plan after another, fix after fix ... and none of them work. "Just give us another 5 years to fix it."

This is what no term limits for the dictator looks like. Endless corruption and when plans fail, when the public shows evidence of the corruption, of the squandering of money and who was responsible for it, guess what -- no accountability because no term limits. Dictator has absolute power.

Even when we catch Dan and Bruce red handed in their failure, they then find a quick solution to the problem they created. "Give this one a spin."

Then later comes the sweeping grand showcase plan, Dan's shock and awe. "Now gives us another 5 years to make this thing work, don't rush us."

Annnnnnnnd, it doesn't work ... "well it was this persons fault, we need to establish an identity ... blah,blah,blah."

In exasperation Dan begrudgingly and only half heartedly tries the "hire a GM and let him do his thing" method. But of course undermindes that person from the start. And when the team doesn't win, guess what -- that guy was a drunkard anyway.

Another person gets a swing and their first mistakes are pounced upon by Dan and company and rode out of town, blamed for everything.

Dan has had endless opportunity to try every damn approach, angle, style and yet the the man fails, and fails, and fails. Whether it be Dan's decision outright, or Dan's specific hire outright, or the people Dan put in charge to make decisions, or the outsider brought in to make a choice on their own then crucified, it all ends in fails. 

Yet, we got to give Dan another chance. What is wrong with you people? 

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I agree.

With both of you.

:ols:

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If your point is they lose but improve their mindset.  I am with you.   But that would still be playing up the upside of losing. 

Though I admit I don't care much about that mindset if it's a temporary coach -- I just don't buy its a big deal unless that same coach is back running the team.  As Cooley, Portis among others like to talk about -- one year doesn't carry over the next as for how the team functions and from their experience but its a clean slate, every season.   It makes sense to me especially if it's a new coach from one year to another.

Well, my point isn't to hope for losing lol...I always root for the Skins to win. But in a season like this one, I don't lose sight of the silver lining when they do lose--higher draft pick that gives them extra options that could finally start to turn their fortunes in the right direction. Most of us are like this for the season now, I think...

And I don't necessarily agree with what Cooley and Portis said, at least not about player mindsets carrying over to the next season. Doing things and approaching your practice, training, and performance the right way is a habit--to me, habit and mindset go hand-in-hand. It's like muscle memory...you do it long enough and after awhile you do it without thinking.

That Lombardi quote someone posted on one of the threads makes all the sense in the world to me and could apply here as well: "Winning is not a sometime thing…it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while…you don't do the right thing once in a while…you do them right all the time."

To me, you don't wait until the next offseason or until the next coach comes in to start doing things the right way...if there was/is anything that needs to be done to start improving how players are approaching things, start it now. It'll carry over to next spring and training camp, regardless of the coach.

I don't think its about hating Snyder more than loving the team or vice versa.

Dan for 20 years has been selling some type of new beginnings and they've all failed.   I don't think the dude can successfully run a lemonade stand let alone an organization like this successfully.  Every new coach has brought some new sell with them.  We forget over time because we get distracted by the new toy.

Marty -- old school, tough guy, toughen the team.

Spurrier -- fun and gun, will take over the NFL with his modern NFL offense

Gibbs:  bring back the glory years

Zorn:  Unconventional-out of the box style will turn Campbell into a franchise QB.

Shanny:  offensive legend

Jay:  will turn RG3 into the WCO QB that he aspires to be

Callahan:  bringing the hammer back

I am sure the next guy in January will have a new "exciting" narrative.

My only hope is that Kyle Smith just loads this team with so much talent that they can override Bruce-Dan's dysfunctional organization.    This isn't me hitting Callahan, its that he is working in a dysfunctional organization that doesn't bring out the best in any HC IMO.

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Erick Flowers is playing alot better than everyone including my self was saying he would play. That's all I got...on to the 49ers.

Not everyone. 

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It was nice, but you played the Dolphins.

👆

Archived