Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/08/24/sweet-home-alabama-redskins-allen-anderson-quick-learners/104926210/

"Playing at Alabama has made things a lot easier for me," Allen said.

Anderson said practices at Alabama were "rougher" than in the NFL and hopes that makes a difference.

"We do a lot of banging around there," Anderson said, "so it definitely prepared me physically and mentally for this grind I'm doing now."

Allen said Nick Saban and the rest of the Crimson Tide coaching staff helped him and other teammates learn how to practice. The evidence has shown on the field with the Redskins as Allen hasn't looked like a rookie.

@skinny21,  you have a post about Hentges as a blocking TE and its interesting because Cooley was complaining about us not having blocking TEs all last year and I guess part of this year. Sprinkle is supposed to be that but he isn't great at it and Cooley (for what its worth, I don't think he's the Holy Grail of judgement) has criticized him a whole lot. But with this hole in our personnel, Jay never addressed the position. I even remember the guys we'd bring into training camp were more of the receiving TEs. We had Darrel Young his first year as a FB who could catch but was more known for his blocking, but Jay got rid of him. It seemed to be a revolving door at TEs on the practice squad. The minute Callahan gets named HC, suddenly we've got a blocking TE and a FB. 

I credit Haskins more for getting these guys somewhat more involved in the passing game than they were under Gruden, but I think they're a big part of our philosophy of being able to run the ball. 

34 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

@skinny21,  you have a post about Hentges as a blocking TE and its interesting because Cooley was complaining about us not having blocking TEs all last year and I guess part of this year. Sprinkle is supposed to be that but he isn't great at it and Cooley (for what its worth, I don't think he's the Holy Grail of judgement) has criticized him a whole lot. But with this hole in our personnel, Jay never addressed the position. I even remember the guys we'd bring into training camp were more of the receiving TEs. We had Darrel Young his first year as a FB who could catch but was more known for his blocking, but Jay got rid of him. It seemed to be a revolving door at TEs on the practice squad. The minute Callahan gets named HC, suddenly we've got a blocking TE and a FB. 

You know, I checked the dates Gruden was fired and Hentges was signed, and lo and behold... it was the same day.  Fascinating (and good call).  
Not big on Sprinkle’s blocking, but I haven’t watched him as closely as I’ve watched Hentges.  I noticed Bruton make a couple nice blocks vs Carolina. 

34 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I credit Haskins more for getting these guys somewhat more involved in the passing game than they were under Gruden, but I think they're a big part of our philosophy of being able to run the ball. 

Well, to be fair, 1) Davis got injured, 2) TEs can be a young qbs best friend and 3) a lot of it should probably be on O’Connell/Callahan, but yes - Haskins has been trying to throw to Sprinkle and Hentges to a lesser extent.  

In the first five games the Redskins ranked second in total penalties with 57. In the last eight games, they only have 56 (5th fewest).

Since Bill Callahan took over, the Redskins rank 10th in the NFL in rushing -- but 30th in time of possession. Why? because they're 30th on third down (28.9 percent). They have had 90 third downs under Callahan; 43 have been 3&7 or longer. not ideal for rookie QB @ESPNStatsInfo

Archived