Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

We all know what we have to improve on as a football team. Which is pretty damning right across the board through the first 6 weeks of the 2019 season. And there are not many changes a new HC/ OC, the main staff changes last week, can implement through their first 7 days in those respective gigs, Not least when that change comes during a season. 

But, to their credit, there were some very noticeable swings in their first outing yesterday in Miami that they've both made a point of highlighting as major issues to address from the get-go this past week. And what will go a LONG way to setting the identity and turning around the losing culture here IMHO the more they are practised and built upon. 

So, moving away from the (natural) constant negatives with this team right now, let's focus on a few standout positives .....

The O-line/ Run game. 

Commitment to being a hard-nosed, smash-mouth football team still has a place in the NFL of 2019. Who knew? 

Now we can flippantly dismiss the Dolphins as being historically bad and the worst run defence presently in the league. Along with their pass rush ranking in the basement. And you have to caveat each individual game with game script/ how it plays out and what the opposition gives you et al. But the BIG swing in committing to the run on first/ second down yesterday from the first 5 games of the season was STARK and it can't be ignored the major improvement it lead to ultimately winning the game. 

Let's look at a few stats- 

Over the first 5 games, here are our numbers on the ratio of runs/ passes on 1st/ 2nd down. And what they've lead to on the position we've placed ourselves in on third downs- 

Week 1. @ Eagles. L 27-32. 

!st Down- R 10/ P 16. 2nd Down- R 4/ P 19. 

3rd Down situations- 15 third downs through the game, of which 10 were on the wrong side of where you want to be as to what's manageable. 5 or more yards. 

2/ 8/ 7/ 6/ 7/ 3/ 3/ 4/ 14/ 20/ 10/ 10/ 15/ 7/ 12. 

Week 2. Cowboys. L 21-31. 

1st Down- R 11/ P 14.  2nd Down- R 6/ P 14. 

3rd Down situations- 10 third downs through the game, of which 4 were in the negative 5 or more yards. 

14/ 8/ 8/ 2/ 11/ 3/ 1/ 10/ 3/ 4. 

Week 3. Bears. L 15-31. 

1st Down- R 15/ P 19. 2nd Down- R 3/ P 24. 

3rd Down situations- 11 third downs. 6 of which were for longer than 5 yards or more. 

9/ 22/ 6/ 10/ 5/ 9/ 2/ 1/ 2/ 1/ 1. 

Week 4. @ Giants. L 3-24. 

1st Down- R 10/ P 13. 2nd Down- R 6/ P 9. 

3rd Down situations- 12 third downs. Of which 9 were for 5 yards or longer. 

5/ 6/ 11/ 8/ 10/ 6/ 3/ 3/ 5/ 10/ 5/ 4. 

Week 5. Patriots. L 7-33. 

1st Down- R 11/ P 14. 2nd Down- R 8/ P 13. 

3rd Down situations- 12 third downs. 10 of which were for 5 yards or more. 

9/ 17/ 2/ 2/ 9/ 15/ 13/ 8/ 13/ 19/ 5/ 10

So prior to yesterday, going totally against common misconception, in 2019 we.ve actually passed more over the season on first and second down. (First Down- 76 P/ 57 R. Second Down- 79 P/ 27 R.). 

And out of 60 third-down situations on the year, an absolutely abysmal 39 were in third and long situations. 

Now, converse that to yesterday after the pin-pointed focus from Coaches Callahan and O'Connell on both a commitment to the run game aiding the passing attack (off Play Action etc), and a concerted effort to get into far more manageable 3rd distance situations- 

Week 6. @ Miami. W 17-16. 

1st Down- R 23/ P 5. 2nd Down- R 9/ P 8. 

3rd Down situations- 11 third downs, of which 4 were third and longs. With none over 3rd and 7. 

5/ 2/ 7/ 3/ 1/ 2/ 3/ 3/ 6/ 3/ 5. 

Quite the swing huh? In all facets. 

Yesterday, we also ran the football 5 more times than any other game this season (33 times. Eagles- 28/ Cowboys 17/ Bears 21/ Giants 17/ Patriots 20.). Which yielded the joint-most run yards on the season at 145. (Eagles- 13/ Cowboys 47/ Bears 69/ Giants 55/ Patriots 145.). For the second-highest yards per rush attempt on the season at 4.4. (Eagles 2.2/ Cowboys 2.8/ Bears 3.3/ Giants 3.2/ Patriots 7.3.). Along with putting up the joint most first downs running the football on the season at 5. (Eagles 0/ Cowboys 4/ Bears 2/ Giants 2/ Patriots 5.). 

With the fewest tackles for a loss # running the football on the season at 1 for a 1-yard loss. 

Tell me again this is NO different to Gruden's scheme/ play-calling and running the rock doesn't fly in the modern NFL?

Which in turn leads on to the BIG improvement yesterday in the offensive front. Not only was that the best running output, from most every standpoint, on the year, but it was the first time all year they kept the QB upright without a single sack conceded. (Prior to yesterday, we'd given up 15 sacks through the first 5 games for 135 yards.). 

But even more remarkable, considering they've had a mere 3 practices to work on this with the players were the following that jumped right off the screen to me- 

Offensive Penalties

Prior to yesterday, we'd been penalised on offense (either accepted or declined penalty's), THIRTY-FIVE times though 5 games. 

The breakdown of which was- 

Holding- 19. 

False Start- 8. 

Illegal Use of Hands- 2. 

Illegal Formation- 2. 

Delay of Game- 2. 

Illegal Shift- 1.

Chip Block- 1. 

Yesterday, after making the switch last week to really emphasise practice penalties by both bringing in local officiating crews to the practices and having a daily score of what mental/ fundamental mistakes the players were making to incur those penalties (absolute madness to me how this wasn't standard here! Along with going 1-on-1 at full game speed in practice. Practice how you play- It's not rocket science!), along with having a season joint low 6 penalties as a team, we were penalised ZERO times on offence. Which is a bloody miraculous turnaround in discipline regardless of who the opposition were! 

Again, we all know of the many other ills that currently beset this group. In all three phases. But in Week 1 of an interim veteran HC trying to, at the very least, change the culture here to a disciplined, hard-working, professional football team who will have a hard-nosed, smash-mouth identity that you KNOW you've been in a game against us EVERY time you set foot on the field to play the Redskins, all of the above are some MAJORLY positive building blocks to lay the foundations to that end. 

They may seem small and incremental, but we're both starting from rock bottom and have to start rectifying things somewhere before we expand to fixing others. 

It's all a process that will take FULL, day in, day out commitment to seeing through. And they'll be FAR harder challenges ahead than the Dolphins and a lot of natural dips along the way in terms of results. 

But the signs yesterday down in Miami, at least in the noted areas, were very positive indeed from what went before. 

Hail. 

Good test this week is SF. They have a good rush defense.

Miami was giving up an average of 170 yards on the ground or something like that. At least that's what the Dolphins fans were telling me at the stadium yesterday. He could've been exaggerating but who knows. 

First off, thanks for taking the time to take a deep dive. But as we all know about stats... There are a few types: Lies and damn lies.

First: The holds. Why does it change when Callahan is the head coach versus Gruden? Is the implication that Gruden told the guys to hold? The OL was coached by Bill Callahan when they got the holds. The new guy came in this week and the hold went down. If we give Callahan credit for a turnaround in general, should the new OL guy get credit for the hold issue being fixed? Or are the Dolphins so bad that they didnt need to hold? Lots of factors here.

Yesterday was the first game the Redskins were actually in going into the fourth quarter. In fact, they were even winning. That changes the way you all plays. 

They rushed the ball 7 times in the fourth quarter yesterday...

In contrast, just looking at the Eagles game:

1st quarter and 2nd quarter (up to 2 minute warning)

1st down runs: 9

1st down passes: 2

2nd down runs: 2

3rd down runs: 1

2 minute offense:

1st down runs: 0

1st down passes: 3

2nd down runs: 0

2nd down passes: 3

3rd down runs: 0

3rd down passes: 3

2nd half up until 4th quarter):

1st down runs: 1

1t down passes: 2

Then it turned into a passing offense because they were losing. 

I could do a complete breakdown of all the games thus far and show you that situations dictate running/throwing, including the Miami game. 

But the thing that stands out there is a 9:2 run:pass ratio in the first two quarters against the Eagles.

2 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

What was the 3rd down conversion rate?  

Woeful. 2/11.  In large part to the sub-standard QB currently under centre. But that falls, like everything else, on the collective and they all need to get better in that regard. 

But then there's that much needs fixing it's gonna' take a massive amount of patience and ups and downs to get there. But at least there were some positives on what they'd openly signalled out last week to take. 

Baby steps. 

Hail. 

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

First off, thanks for taking the time to take a deep dive. But as we all know about stats... There are a few types: Lies and damn lies.

First: The holds. Why does it change when Callahan is the head coach versus Gruden? Is the implication that Gruden told the guys to hold? The OL was coached by Bill Callahan when they got the holds. The new guy came in this week and the hold went down. If we give Callahan credit for a turnaround in general, should the new OL guy get credit for the hold issue being fixed? Or are the Dolphins so bad that they didnt need to hold? Lots of factors here.

As was noted in the OP, it was caveated with different situations dictating different plays Coach.  But regardless. it's still a massively notable commitment to the identity that they want to be known for when the difference is SO large. 

But as to the quoted, I believe it definitely changes between the two down to professionalism and the tone they set. Callahan's openly made a point of addressing penalty's this week and changed up the whole the way we practice to that end. That's some coincidence if we're to think the past work week hasn't had a major effect. 

When was the last time we went an entire game of football without giving up either a sack or an offensive penalty? 

I'm gonna' venture that would need some DEEP digging back in the archives. 

Hail.  

7 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Woeful. 2/11.  In large part to the sub-standard QB currently under centre. But that falls, like everything else, on the collective and they all need to get better in that regard. 

But then there's that much needs fixing it's gonna' take a massive amount of patience and ups and downs to get there. But at least there were some positives on what they'd openly signalled out last week to take. 

Baby steps. 

Hail. 

I'm just having a hard time finding anything that even amounts to baby steps. It all looked the same as every other game except it was the Dolphins and we had a lead in for the entire second half. 

His clock management was terrible. 

I think this is a scenario where we can't say we saw a difference in a one game sample size against the Dolphins. Look to the next few weeks to get an idea of what Callahan is about.

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

When was the last time we went an entire game of football without giving up either a sack or an offensive penalty? 

I'm gonna' venture that would need some DEEP digging back in the archives. 

Hail. 

I think you're really neglecting who they played. The Dolphins are very, very bad.

I DO think we need to give Callahan time before we say, "SAME OL SAME OL!", though. I agree there. And the one thing I liked, no matter who was responsible, was the refs in practice and the lack of holds.

So there was enough to give him the benefit and see what happens the next few weeks. For sure.

Just now, KDawg said:

I'm just having a hard time finding anything that even amounts to baby steps. It all looked the same as every other game except it was the Dolphins and we had a lead in for the entire second half. 

His clock management was terrible. 

I think this is a scenario where we can't say we saw a difference in a one game sample size against the Dolphins. Look to the next few weeks to get an idea of what Callahan is about.

See this really surprise me coming from you on someone that's been in the job 7 days and hasn't been in that position for well over a decade. Along with his OC assuming those full duties for the very first time. 

When you're at absolute rock bottom, with the culture as bad as it has been here, and two men like that coming into key positions into a season. to expect much of anything a week in is naively silly Which is the furthest thing that you are Coach. 

Your last line os the pertinent one on Callahan. But for all the negatives flying around, it's not unfair to point out the few standout positives that they made a point of emphasising through the past week no?

Hail. 

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

We're going to get manhandled by the 49ers.  Posting something like this after we played the lowly Dolphins (and nearly lost) is a bit premature.  Love the enthusiasm, but just think it needs to be tempered.

The point mate is it doesn't matter if we do. So long as they're committed to it and fundamentally doing the right things to that end. 

The more that's repeated day in, day out, the more things will improve, Discipline being a big factor. 

Results are, or should be, immaterial at this point. Fundamentally doing the right things within that should be the aim and they will follow in time. 

Hail. 

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This, I have been saying this for a while.  These refs are controlling the outcomes of drive and games with Penalties.  I see it in EVERYGAME, not just redskins.  Did anyone watch the Cowboys game last night?  On the last drive the Pukes get the ball needing a TD and a 2 point to tie.  The Jets DC is Greg Williams by the way, they played a great game blitzing the crap out of Dak.  But the last drive in particular, there were 7 PI/Illegal contact penalties call IN A ROW.  Yes 7 in a row, to help the pukes get in position to score. Itsnt it wierd that all of a sudden the most penalized offense in the league gets hardly any penalties??  Perhaps this should go in the conspiracy thread but to me its not a conspiracy, its blatant and in our face.  Im not saying we arent committing penalties but other teams are as well and they arent being called. 

I was only able to watch snippets of the game because I was working at the time. I was glad to see AP run the ball like he did and the offense put up a few scores,but tempered with the knowledge they were playing a team as bad,if not worse than they are. I tend to agree with Kdawg in this one,though I note that they desperately tried to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory but unlike other times,they failed. ;) 

Horrible, horrible take.  Just really awful.

1- analytics prove this is the worst way to attempt to win the NFL

2- the only reason we had marginal success is because it was the Dolphins.

Get real.  That was the high water mark of the year and we had to clench our buttcheeks on a two point conversion against the other worst team in the league.

Reality snaps back in 6 days.

19 minutes ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

this game does not warrant any "deep dive" retrospective.  it should not be discussed, it should not be remembered and we are all worse for having it witnessed it.  nothing good came of it in any way shape or form.  a meaningless preseason game between two bottom dwelling, helpless teams.

Lol.  You are a Debbie-downer but this is priceless "a meaningless preseason game between two bottom dwelling, helpless teams."  The fact that the Skins came within one play of losing to a team whose management desperately wants to lose is the ultimate indictment.  

Archived