Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

What we learned from Sunday's Week 7 games

The weather certainly did its part in mucking up the game, but the Redskins (1-6) also deserve some credit for nearly spoiling the 49ers' undefeated season. From the onset, Washington challenged a Niners defense ranked sixth-best against the run, handing the ball off to its backfield 10 straight plays, eight of which went to Adrian Peterson. Washington's opening drive ate up eight-plus minutes of play time, but ended with a 39-yard missed FG from Dustin Hopkins. The defense then came out and got Jimmy Garoppolo off the field in six plays with constant pressure and solid coverage; they would go on to register an interception and two sacks on the day while preventing a 49ers score on their four red-zone trips. By the end of the first half, Case Keenum (5-of-7, 43 yards) had outplayed Jimmy G (3-of-10, 10 yards), Peterson had looked sharp with a game-high 57 rushing yards on 14 carries and the Redskins D had held San Fran to 68 total yards. But it proved to be short-lived; a Peterson fumble on a 'Skins drive late in the third halted the little momentum they had mustered and led to Gould's second FG. Garoppolo also got going, with nine completions on 11 attempts for 141 yards. Keenum finished 9-of-12 for 77 yards and Peterson contributed 81 yards on 20 touches.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001067633/article/what-we-learned-from-sundays-week-7-games

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

85 yards rushing!!! Do you know how many teams would kill for that type of dominance? I'm telling you, this is all bad luck right now.

I’ve not responded to your trolling B/S in the nigh on 15 years you’ve now been on the boards Lkb despite your repeated, unfunny attempts over the years.

Outside of this pointing that out to you again, what in the World makes you think I’m going to start now? 

Hail.

I love the identity they’re attempting to establish, but it’s unfortunate we don’t know what the future holds as far as a coach, so the value in creating an identity is much less. 

If this Callahan identity provides the defense opportunities to be great and momentum/confidence over the second half of the year, I’m all for it.

No way around it, the defense has been good the last two games with an offense operating with a below average QB, though Keenum has had moments of professionalism, but as always with guys at his level, he can’t sustain it over the entirety of a game. 

AP isn’t human. 

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I’ve not responded to your trolling B/S in the nigh on 15 years you’ve now been on the boards Lkb despite your repeated, unfunny attempts over the years.

Outside of this pointing that out to you again, what in the World makes you think I’m going to start now? 

Hail.

Shouldn't you be throttling a Liverpool fan?

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

I love the identity they’re attempting to establish, but it’s unfortunate we don’t know what the future holds as far as a coach, so the value in creating an identity is much less. 

If this Callahan identity provides the defense opportunities to be great and momentum/confidence over the second half of the year, I’m all for it.

No way around it, the defense has been good the last two games with an offense operating with a below average QB, though Keenum has had moments of professionalism, but as always with guys at his level, he can’t sustain it over the entirety of a game. 

AP isn’t human. 

We've scored 25 points under Callahan.

12 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Shouldn't you be throttling a Liverpool fan?

We've scored 25 points under Callahan.

The Skins don’t have a professional QB. Keenum provides spurts or rhythm and flow, but nothing that can be relied upon. 

I hear you though, the offense hasn’t produced nearly enough. I’m not celebrating what’s going on, but can acknowledge the attempt to create an identity and that the defense has stepped and played how some (including me) expected them to play. 

To begin year I thought it was a 6 win team due to the QB position and nothing has changed my outlook, it’s actually worse than expected. 

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The Skins don’t have a professional QB. Keenum provides spurts or rhythm and flow, but nothing that can be relied upon. 

I hear you though, the offense hasn’t produced nearly enough. I’m not celebrating what’s going on, but can acknowledge the attempt to create an identity and that the defense has stepped and played how some (including me) expected them to play. 

To begin year I thought it was a 6 win team due to the QB position and nothing has changed my outlook, it’s actually worse than expected. 

We've scored 25 points.

We're also getting a little ahead of ourselves with the "Callahan has rebuilt the defense BS."

1. It's Miami. Nothing about that game should be considered, reviewed or discussed.

2. The weather and the field stopped the 49ers.

3. The Vikings moved up and down/left and right on us. Penalties, a stupid turnover, and some weird stalls in the red zone is what stopped that from being a 30+ scoring explosion. Usually when a QB goes 23 for 26, the running back goes for nearly 100, and you are 50 percent on third down, you don't stall out at 19 points. That was a weird game.

Now, I will give Callahan credit. The team has now had three ugly, boring games in a row....and those can be coin flip games to some degree. The fact that we are getting closer to coin flip games is a small positive.

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

3. The Vikings moved up and down/left and right on us. Penalties, a stupid turnover, and some weird stalls in the red zone is what stopped that from being a 30+ scoring explosion. Usually when a QB goes 23 for 26, the running back goes for nearly 100, and you are 50 percent on third down, you don't stall out at 19 points. That was a weird game.

The total lack of respect for the Redskin's offense is helping keep opponent scoring low.  The Vikings second half offense would have looked entirely different had the Redskins pushed them by scoring points.  They didn't, so the Vikings shortened the game by going run heavy.  Even that would have resulted in more points for them if not for all the big run nullifying penalties. 

22 minutes ago, Destino said:

The total lack of respect for the Redskin's offense is helping keep opponent scoring low.  The Vikings second half offense would have looked entirely different had the Redskins pushed them by scoring points.  They didn't, so the Vikings shortened the game by going run heavy.  Even that would have resulted in more points for them if not for all the big run nullifying penalties. 

A pro at QB is significant to a defense and the Skins had that for 1 half. 

I always find it interesting how we jump all over the Redskins for something, then use it as part of an excuse for the opposition. 

Yesterday, from a lot of folks, it was the self-inflicted penalties from the Vikings that kept the score down. (Something we improved on again yesterday.). But when we judge the 'Skins, it's not 'we would have done x, y and z without the penalties/ the oppo were fortunate et al.' It's 'we're an indisciplined joke etc. who never learn.' 

The same with the weather saving us against the 9ers who 'would have scored 30 plus under normal circumstances!' But the Redskins going scoreless (missed FG's be damned), is a 'LOL' disgrace. Even though we played them just as hard the full 60 as San Francisco played ourselves in conditions that were the same for both teams. 

And Miami is just a 'joke/ JV outfit/ insert own slight here' who don't count in the win column. Even though we went into that game in an equally as bad situation. And for players and coaches, EVERY time they step onto the field MATTERS. They only have 16 times a year to put that tape down and anyone that thinks they don't give their all, particularly in October,  are deluding themselves. And quite frankly are being rather insulting to guys risking their own health every Sunday in the brutalist of brutal sport. 

Some VERY selective standards. Which I get as it's natural to be more critical of one's own team. But still relative and interesting to watch it in action. 

Hail. 

10 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I always find it interesting how we jump all over the Redskins for something, then use it as part of an excuse for the opposition. 

Yesterday, from a lot of folks, it was the self-inflicted penalties from the Vikings that kept the score down. (Something we improved on again yesterday.). But when we judge the 'Skins, it's not 'we would have done x, y and z without the penalties/ the oppo were fortunate et al.' It's 'we're an indisciplined joke etc. who never learn.' 

The same with the weather saving us against the 9ers who would have scored 30 plus under normal circumstances. But the Redskins going scoreless (missed FG's be damned), is a 'LOL' disgrace. Even though we played them just as hard the full 60 as San Francisco in conditions that were the same for both teams. 

And Miami is just a 'joke/ JV outfit/ insert own slight here' who don't count in the win column. Even though we went into that game in an equally as bad situation and for players and coaches, EVERY time they step onto the field MATTERS. They only have 16 times a year to put that tape down and anyone that thinks they don't give their all, particularly in October,  are deluding themselves. And quite frankly rather insulting to guys risking their own health every Sunday in the brutalist of brutal sport. 

Some VERY selective standards. Which I get as it's natural to be more critical of one's own team. But still relative and interesting to watch it in action. 

Hail. 

The team is on a 2-13 run, dude. They stink. Just come to terms with that.

As to effort, I don't critique effort. I don't critique heart. I'm not 100 percent sure there's any discrepancy except in extreme outliers. I think everyone is trying. That's just lazy sports talk radio crap.

Why do I say the Vikings shot themselves in the foot while I criticize the Skins?

Easy. The Vikings are good. The Skins are bad.  This is why point spreads exist. The Skins didn't stop the Vikings. When a good team plays like crap. Or the weather forces them to play like crap, the bad team can often take advantage.

This all explained via Kid Lester being very excited by the rain storm in the Robin Williams/Kurt Russell classic "Best of Times."

20 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

The same with the weather saving us against the 9ers who 'would have scored 30 plus under normal circumstances!' But the Redskins going scoreless (missed FG's be damned), is a 'LOL' disgrace. Even though we played them just as hard the full 60 as San Francisco played ourselves in conditions that were the same for both teams. 

And Miami is just a 'joke/ JV outfit/ insert own slight here' who don't count in the win column. Even though we went into that game in an equally as bad situation. And for players and coaches, EVERY time they step onto the field MATTERS. They only have 16 times a year to put that tape down and anyone that thinks they don't give their all, particularly in October,  are deluding themselves. And quite frankly are being rather insulting to guys risking their own health every Sunday in the brutalist of brutal sport. 

Hail. 

It's almost like everyone else realizes there is a WHOLE LOT MORE EVIDENCE than three games to make these standards more selective.  And it's almost like everyone else realizes there are SERIOUS HANDICAPS IN THE FRONT OFFICE AND COACHING STAFF that render minuscule, rudimentary improvements null.  

These "improvements" are just the result of going back to basics because the team has no other option.  They CANT outscheme and CANT outperform the opponent, so the only thing left is to focus on blocking, tackling, running the ball, and cleaning up penalties.  Which is all well and good, but should never be confused with a viable long term strategy for a team that ever wants to win more than 5 games.  Those are ****ing table stakes in the NFL.

But hey, they got one guy to fall for it.  Awesome.

10 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Justify it however you want but it's not altering the fact you're continuing to doing it. 

It's an interesting exercise to watch. 

Hail. 

This response delivers the equivalent umph of Callahan's paint by numbers offense.

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

I would rather say that the general sentiment all around is that we're bad.

Are we improving here and there? Well, maybe, somehow, if you picks some stats here and there that can suits narrative X or Y. That's doable. Maybe I could even say that going run heavy is preventing opposing offenses to score more points. Yay. Probably have some stuff in this too... Probably helps keeping our D fresh a bit more too... We even haven't had a 3 and out before the 2nd half... But in the grand scheme of things those are tiny baby steps.

Still, are we improving as a whole?

Nope.

We're what our record says we are: 1-7. That means we're bad.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, Wildbunny said:

I would rather say that the general sentiment all around is that we're bad.

Are we improving here and there? Well, maybe, somehow, if you picks some stats here and there that can suits narrative X or Y. That's doable. Maybe I could even say that going run heavy is preventing opposing offenses to score more points. Yay. Probably have some stuff in this too... Probably helps keeping our D fresh a bit more too... We even haven't had a 3 and out before the 2nd half... But in the grand scheme of things those are tiny baby steps.

Still, are we improving as a whole?

Nope.

We're what our record says we are: 1-7. That means we're bad.

I honestly think Callahan is tanking. And he is doing it in the most brilliant way possible. He's running this 1970s offense that actually makes it appear like the team is really really trying, but - in all reality - is not threat to beat anyone with a pulse. The team beat Miami, and could conceivably beat the Jets with those approach, but that's it.

Is it cutting down on penalties and mistakes? Maybe, I guess. I mean, you're literally running the playbook these guys first learned in pee-wee football. They should be able to execute it pretty cleanly. Complexity is what leads to mistakes.

The last two games were fascinating in that the opponents combined for 28 points, and at no point, did they seem to have any sense of urgency or frustration at the fact that they were not really scoring.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The last two games were fascinating in that the opponents combined for 28 points, and at no point, did they seem to have any sense of urgency or frustration at the fact that they were not really scoring.

It requires a high level of discipline to throw the ball 5 times in the second half of a game you never led in.  

The game plans actually seem to be based on losing less horribly with absolutely no intention to win.  Very impressive.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It requires a high level of discipline to throw the ball 5 times in the second half of a game you never led in.  

The game plans actually seem to be based on losing less horribly with absolutely no intention to win.  Very impressive.

And I think that may honestly play some role in not starting Haskins. If you are only going to throw the ball 5 times, you can't end up with two pick sixes and turn this 19-9 close game into a 33-9 rout.

Archived