Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Why are we acting like Haskins has never played football before? I mean, the guy threw 200 touchdowns in one year at the highest possible level. Asking to him to run a play action pass should not require four months of careful preparation.

Also, dude, just take the L. You gloated over beating the Dolphins for, I dunno, crumpet-related reasons. This team sucks. Callahan is literally running my 7th grade team's offense. He's running the clock out on these games like a divorced dad just giving up and throwing in The Lion King two hours before he's supposed to take the kids back to their mom's house.

There is no plan.

There is no hope.

The Queen is Dead, boys, and it's so loney on a limb.

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Why are we acting like Haskins has never played football before? I mean, the guy threw 200 touchdowns in one year at the highest possible level. Asking to him to run a play action pass should not require four months of careful preparation.

Agreed. Playaction is a simple concept. Not using it because they're afraid to with Haskins is a scary proposition.

But I think they have a plan. Whether its good for anything or not remains to be seen. But there is a plan. (Unless Haskins doesn't start after the bye, then throw that idea out the window).

As far as hope... What is hope? Besides the title of Episode IV of Star Wars?

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Except he didn't. He tried to run a much more involved game plan as far as the actual passing game is concerned.

The similarity was that it was very run centric still. That part has been a constant.

But he ran more screens, outs, arrows, hitches and drags with Haskins than he did with Keenum. He was trying to push the ball down field much more with Keenum. Yesterday's weather wouldn't have allowed for that, really, but the big thing was I think the gameplan was already set and the weather was a convenient get out of jail free card for the coaching staff. 

I don't understand the lack of playaction for a heavy run team for any of the quarterbacks, though. Just hasn't utilized it well, or at all. 

Like I've said, and I hope I am getting across clearly: I am okay with the game plan to ease Haskins in. I am not okay that they didn't game plan to try to win the game while easing Haskins in. But from a purely HASKINS point of view: I liked what they did. From a total complete picture POV I think the plan left a lot to be desired where Haskins still could have had an easier load but they still could have challenged the end zone.

I'm talking more at the macro level of bleeding the clock and playing hide the quarterback.  I haven't been watching close enough to dissect the routes (although at a glance it did feel like they worked the sidelines more).  And I'm definitely  not watching all-22 these days to confirm.  

Not saying your thread thesis is wrong.  It could be the start of the implementation of a Haskins plan.  I'm not ready to give Callahan that much credit though considering he wont even name him the starter moving forward.

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

Not saying your thread thesis is wrong.  It could be the start of the implementation of a Haskins plan.  I'm not ready to give Callahan that much credit though considering he wont even name him the starter moving forward.

This... I am completely in agreement here. The fact that he wouldn't name a starter is a bit... strange? It means either: 1) The directive from above is yet to come or 2) He has no idea what he's doing plan wise other than on a very step by step basis. 

I'm not sure which is worse. :ols:

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This... I am completely in agreement here. The fact that he wouldn't name a starter is a bit... strange? It means either: 1) The directive from above is yet to come or 2) He has no idea what he's doing plan wise other than on a very step by step basis. 

I'm not sure which is worse. :ols:

Haha me either.  Its paint by numbers.  All of it.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1) The directive from above is yet to come

If we were ever made privy to this stuff to where we could confirm, I'd bet a large sum this is the case.  

However Haskins performance yesterday should have quelled all fears that he can't be as good as Case or Colt.  It should have all but confirmed what we've already known, this is a hodge podge built team once again that can't afford to be impacted by any injuries, with some rather large holes.  Haskins is more than capable of losing with this team just like the other guys were.

59 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You had a terrible take and are getting ridiculed for it. Just take the punishment man.

Mate, I find the continued fume from many at celebrating a first win of the season and the notable differences from the first 5 weeks in so doing as highly amusing as it is bizarre. So that's neither here nor there. 

But why was it a terrible take on that game just because the Dolphins are in the position they're in? The noted upturn in discipline that game has continued to improve significantly game-on-game since. And third-down situations are much more manageable by association. The fact that we're still struggling to execute the RZ and add those elusive TD's shouldn't detract from that. We're at least trying to instil an identity that should both aid a very raw rookie QB. And ultimately open up the passing game off that the longer this rolls. 

Or you can continue to be stuck on the 'here and now' and just react in the negative to the continued lack of TD's. Which is naturally a major issue that needs addressing sooner rather than later. Just an interesting study to see those that refuse to acknowledge most anything else until that happens. 

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

The koolaid is strong with this one.  I just don't see it, although I do admit I'm only half watching the games now.  And Callahan will most likely be gone after the year so what's the difference?  Can this season just be done with yet?

Key point right here.  But, ya know, all of these incremental changes will survive the tsunami of roster and coaching staff turnover the offseason will bring and we'll be well on our way to fixing the franchise, right mate?

Or someone could just admit they were wr-wr-wr-WRONG.

4 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But why was it a terrible take on that game just because the Dolphins are in the position they're in? The noted upturn in discipline that game has continued to improve significantly game-on-game since. And third-down situations are much more manageable by association.

I know you aren't talking to me, but I'm curious if anyone else in the world is seeing this.

Third down defense is somewhat better - probably because it was at historically unsustainably bad levels to begin with.  Something which is not sustainable is simply not sustainable.

Everything else "good" that you see is most certainly a reflection of Callahan's 1950s offensive plan. Callahan has cut down average game time by a legitimate 20 minutes since he took over. The last three games have clocked in at 2:40, 2:39, and 2:36. When you are running very basic plays and taking forever between snaps to do so, you eliminate the opportunity for penalties. Most penalties result in someone TRYING something.

The Redskins' offense for the past month has been an elaborate simulation. It looks like it's trying to accomplish something, but it is not actually trying to accomplish anything. I suspect our opponents see it this way as well. The moment the Bills got to 17, they seemed totally opposed to anything remotely risky.

I think Callahan has been told to tank while not looking like he is tanking. And he is doing a remarkable job of it.

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't know about you, but I'm giddy with anticipation of seeing what barely perceptible improvements this awful team made over the bye week.

Maybe we'll score a TD.

Na, that's crazy talk, our "disciplined commitment to the run 1970s style football" doesn't cover that area.

38 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't know about you, but I'm giddy with anticipation of seeing what barely perceptible improvements this awful team made over the bye week.

Well I watched the Jets and Giants game.

If we try to run the ball 35 times against the Jets we will extend our record streak of games without a TD. They are extremely difficult to run on - at least in part because they commit a lot of bodies around the LOS and are aggressive. This means they are playing single high and man behind that an awful lot. They also have corners who could not cover a fire with a blanket.

If there is ever a game when you HAVE to pass on 1st down against favourable passing looks this is it.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Well I watched the Jets and Giants game.

If we try to run the ball 35 times against the Jets we will extend our record streak of games without a TD. They are extremely difficult to run on - at least in part because they commit a lot of bodies around the LOS and are aggressive. This means they are playing single high and man behind that an awful lot. They also have corners who could not cover a fire with a blanket.

If there is ever a game when you HAVE to pass on 1st down against favourable passing looks this is it.

With all that in mind, I'm all in favour of further commitment to the run and another L in the book, especially given the opponent.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:07 PM, emoore0222 said:

It's 2019 and the 49ers are undefeated!!!  They are averaging 38 rushing attempts per game, your post is a joke.

Didn't Jimmy Grabapolo throw for 4 TDs last week?  They can throw!

He made one pass after the game that missed its mark, however. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

With all that in mind, I'm all in favour of further commitment to the run and another L in the book, especially given the opponent.

At least it will be quick.

1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

Tried to fit into a tight window. Well worth the effort.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:19 AM, Warhead36 said:

LOL once again people confuse causation with correlation.

The 9ers average that many rushing attempts because they have leads late and are running out the clock.

Also, their run game is very exotic and creative like someone else said. They aren't running 50 gut up the middle every 1st down.

They also have arguably the best TE in the league, two dynamic WRs in Goodwin and Sanders, and a good(albeit erratic at times)QB in Jimmy Garrapolo.

But yeah, lets just keep running the ball 30 times a game and scoring under 10 points LMAO.

You had a terrible take and are getting ridiculed for it. Just take the punishment man.

If it's that easy to fix we should just hire the 49ers head coach so the redskins can run some of these creative schemes!!!  Wait a minute.... 

I'm not even going to respond to your other comments as you didn't read my second post and clearly don't understand football!

6 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

Didn't Jimmy Grabapolo throw for 4 TDs last week?  They can throw!

Yes, but they have more offensive talent.  Gruden was throwing the football more and got fired for not winning.  This team isn't going to win by merely throwing or running the football more.   

Football 101 - Passing: Both teams get more possessions.  The game is longer because the clock stops when there is an incomplete pass.  If there is a large gap in talent the talented team scores a lot of touchdowns.  The less talented team scores more than they would have running the football but extra time in the game creates a larger margin of defeat.    

Football 101 - Running:  Both teams get less possessions.  The clock continues to run after the play increasing time of possession.  If there is a large gap in talent the talented team scores less touchdowns because the less talented team has the ball more and the game is shorter.  The less talented team scores less than they would have passing the football but a shorter game creates a smaller margin of defeat.  

So in essence, we are going to lose the football game either way.  The goal is not to be embarrassed.  Until the culture changes through the hiring the right general manager who is given the authority to hire a good staff and run the football team without interference this is our destiny.  It has been for a while and I guess I'm good with it because i'm still here with you losers lol!!!

On 11/4/2019 at 9:31 AM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Also, dude, just take the L. You gloated over beating the Dolphins for, I dunno, crumpet-related reasons. This team sucks. Callahan is literally running my 7th grade team's offense. He's running the clock out on these games like a divorced dad just giving up and throwing in The Lion King two hours before he's supposed to take the kids back to their mom's house.

There is no plan.

There is no hope.

The Queen is Dead, boys, and it's so loney on a limb.

Any post that quotes The Smiths is an excellent post in my book!

34 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Hot take: the 49ers aren't good.

This is a team that goes 14-2 and loses by 14 points in its first playoff game.

They're good but their style of play is not conducive to winning playoff games. They'll get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round depending on if they get a bye or not.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

They're good but their style of play is not conducive to winning playoff games. They'll get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round depending on if they get a bye or not.

I felt like I was watching every Cowher/Schottenheimer team that lost a home playoff game...except if those teams were incredibly careless with the ball.

Archived