Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rivera is the boss here.  I should think, if nothing else, that much is clear.  If he'd wanted someone else this offseason, he would have had him.  I don't think we've had a more empowered HC than Rivera since George Allen.

We've pretty much got three conclusions to draw here: 1.) Kyle Allen is the plan.  2.) Alex Smith is the plan.  or 3.) We don't have a plan.  None of those situations give me any confidence in the competence of the people running the team.

In the case of Kyle Smith, if you're right that he didn't want Haskins, then I want to know what the **** he thought we should do at QB that offseason before I put any stock in his competence.

According to some he was unsure about Haskins.   Mike Silver who did a long interview with Rivera before he took the WFT job said he wasn't wedded to Haskins. 

However, I don't think that it would be a wild leap of logic that he wanted to see it unfold some.  Maybe he's seen enough.  If Kyle wasn't a Haskins guy that might have factored over time in his opinion, too.  No way really to know from a distance.  I think the bottom line is as Shanny implied this morning, there is more that goes on in that building day to day than just what happens on Sunday.  I'd guess whatever the narrative is we don't know the full story right now.

But if you got the owner in love with a player and that player is on the roster, I'd think it would be tough to tell the owner, adios to your guy, I am not even interested in letting the movie play out.  I would guess based on how quick the hook was on Haskins that they didn't lean before the season that he's the guy and in turn I'd think they are planning to either use their cap room or a high draft pick on finding "their guy".  

As for this plan "this' season, not quite sure what the thinking is but it could be this is a rebuild so its not 2020 or bust. 

4 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Its not whether Haskins was given enough time develop... the problem is that Haskins never should have been a 1st rd pick. He was rated as 2nd rounder at best... and even Drew Luck went in the 2nd... and appears to be a much better QB. When you're picked in the top 15 picks there are expectations that you are the franchise QB, and you have to show it right away.. not sit on the bench for 3 years "developing". Looks like Baffoon Dan has screwed the team and fan base once again .. (as predicted)

This. This right here.   Whether Haskins develops into a quality NFL starter or not in the next couple of seasons, the fact is that he was not a 1st round pick for any other NFL GM besides Snyder/Allen.  Typical Synder probably watched a few college games, saw Haskins lobbing the ball around the field and narrowed his field to 1 guy for the pick.  This is why Snyder absolutely cannot be part of the drafting process going forward.  Take a seat, sign the checks and let the football people do football stuff.  If Haskins would have been sitting around in the 3rd round or later then you can make that pick, stash him on the roster as a developmental prospect and bring him along slowly.   The problem with making the pick when they did, in the situation the franchise was in at the time, he instantly became some kind of "savior" that needed to go out there and compete immediately.  It was almost unfair to Haskins himself if you think about it, he was drafted way above what his actual readiness was, but hey, he is getting paid a ton of money so I am sure he will get over it.

2 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Its weird to me that they couldn't tell before the season that Haskins wasn't ready. I guess maybe not having those pre season games really affected their ability to evaluate him. Because if you had known, you could have had him sit for some period of time to "develop him". 🤷‍♂️

This was about showing Dan what he had. You had to destroy any delusion or hope. Now Ron is completely free. It was a necessary step given who the owner is.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It's not X's and O's that would worry you about Smith.

A one legged Smith might have better footwork than Haskins too tbf.

Honestly though, if Allen did get hurt I'm pretty sure the whole offense would rather see Smith come in than Haskins. He's the better QB to have ready to come on in relief even if he's only at 80% or so. 

7 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Its weird to me that they couldn't tell before the season that Haskins wasn't ready. I guess maybe not having those pre season games really affected their ability to evaluate him. Because if you had known, you could have had him sit for some period of time to "develop him". 🤷‍♂️

I think this is the case too. If they had a normal offseason they could have had a real qb competition. Where in this case Ron just went with the first round draft pick that was already with the organization to give him a chance. Been saying all along that Ron is not sold on developing Haskins like his supporters are. Either he performs or gets the bench. 

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

the fact is that he was not a 1st round pick for any other NFL GM besides Snyder/Allen.  Typical Synder probably watched a few college games, saw Haskins lobbing the ball around the field and narrowed his field to 1 guy for the pick.  T

Fact? We know some teams had him ranked lower than the first, and we may actually have been one of them - but to say we know as fact no other team did is a hell of a stretch. QBs routinely get over-drafted  because of position value. But once you have taken him its now about how/if you can develop him.

48 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

UXO5UOAG3RF5TKGQD6NCTRTJGM.jpg&w=1200

He's the constant link since owning the team.  And he's the one who wanted Haskins.  

Well we know that’s not true anymore, Dan has been telling us recently in every press release that it was Tanya the whole time. Just look at her plotting behind that innocent, happy, man. 

5 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

A one legged Smith might have better footwork than Haskins too tbf.

Honestly though, if Allen did get hurt I'm pretty sure the whole offense would rather see Smith come in than Haskins. He's the better QB to have ready to come on in relief even if he's only at 80% or so. 

How are you going to feel when/if Smith takes his first big shot in the pocket? What happens if that leg gets rolled up on by a lineman? We don't know and neither does Smith.  Its not like we are taking about if his hamstring will hold up here - he almost lost his leg.

Just now, thesubmittedone said:

Well we know that’s not true anymore, Dan has been telling us recently in every press release that it was Tanya the whole time. Just look at her plotting behind that innocent, happy, man. 

It’s true.  It’s actually always been Tanya the entire time.  I feel so foolish for not seeing it before. 

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

How are you going to feel when/if Smith takes his first big shot in the pocket? What happens if that leg gets rolled up on by a lineman? We don't know and neither does Smith.  Its not like we are taking about if his hamstring will hold up here - he almost lost his leg.

Well that is also why I have been asking for 6 months now (at least) about what exactly is Smith's status as a player.  I wasn't sure if there was ever legitimate chance he sees an NFL field ever again, and if not, what exactly is he doing taking a roster spot.  It looks like doctors and coaches feel is he is good to go at this point, so if that is the case what else are they supposed to do besides let him play?  

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rivera is the boss here.  I should think, if nothing else, that much is clear.  If he'd wanted someone else this offseason, he would have had him.  I don't think we've had a more empowered HC than Rivera since George Allen.

I recall just a little over a week ago you said you trusted Rivera on this as for how to proceed with Haskins.  I recall the post because I responded to it and I agreed with you.

But for me to trust Rivera, it can't be I trust him only if he agrees with my take of events.  It's either I trust him or I don't.  I am presuming he knows way more about football than i do and he knows what's going on in that building, practice, culture, etc.  And I don't.  He has much more data among other things than I do.

I am saying this because I see some on this thread heavily questioning Rivera on this.  For me, he's our new HC who is trying to rebuild this team and build a new culture here.   Whatever he wanted to do on Haskins, bench him, annoit him the starter for now and 2021, or whatever, I said I'd have his back on it.    

My point is I think we got to give Rivera some time to do this.  And either people buy into he knows what he's doing or not.  I don't see a lot of grey area on this.  This isn't a debate about FS.  This is QB, so its a serious decision.  So if I felt Rivera is totally blowing it, i'd be out on him.   

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Well that is also why I have been asking for 6 months now (at least) about what exactly is Smith's status as a player.  I wasn't sure if there was ever legitimate chance he sees an NFL field ever again, and if not, what exactly is he doing taking a roster spot.  It looks like doctors and coaches feel is he is good to go at this point, so if that is the case what else are they supposed to do besides let him play?  

Which would beg the question that if this switch is being made to 'win the division' whey is he not starting?

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We'll all squirm of course but he's going to be given the all clear by the doctors before he sees the field. I don't see the logic in putting an interior QB as back up just because he's more durable. You want your back up to provide a spark off the bench. If anyone is going to do that it's Alex Smith after what he's come through. 

I could be upset but I'm not...

This season was pointless from the start... COVID just made it that much more pointless to me. This team wasn't doing much. No point in getting upset at anything this year.

And this is just as  much as Haskins' fault as anyone else's. Even with all the BS he had around him both on and off the field... He's the one that wasn't executing the most basic things and he continued to be noticeably inaccurate.

It is what it is. Let Allen try, no one's expecting much more from him anyway.

Archived