Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

40 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jones is not diagnosing coverages well at all.  He doesn't have the arm to push the ball downfield on the move either.  And his timing with his receivers was poor.

He's a mediocrity.  Another Eli.  He's capable of managing a loaded team to wins but he is nothing special and he'll look really bad and cough it up constantly if he's on a bad team like they are right now.

To what extent do you agree with the brief breakdowns below on last year's rookie QBs?  Interested to see your opinion.

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

To what extent do you agree with the brief breakdowns below on last year's rookie QBs?  Interested to see your opinion.

I think he's right.  I'm a little higher on Haskins and Lock than him.  I would go Murray tier 1, Haskins 2, Lock 3, then Jones a step down from lock in tier 4, and Minshew 5.  Lock is physically superior to Jones and Minshew. He has a golden arm and that gives him a higher ceiling.

Watching the Alex Smith documentary gave me more hope about Haskins.

People talk about the great QB's who started out with dismal rookie seasons.

I did not know that Smith was one of them ; first year in SF, he threw only 1 TD, and 11 INT's...I think that was in 6 or 9 games.

Really puts things in perspective for Haskins, to see if he can continue to improve from his rookie year.

Not to mention, Smith was already mentoring Haskins, even back when his external fixator had just been taken off, practically.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I did not know that Smith was one of them ; first year in SF, he threw only 1 TD, and 11 INT's...I think that was in 6 or 9 games.

Really puts things in perspective for Haskins, to see if he can continue to improve from his rookie year.

Not to mention, Smith was already mentoring Haskins, even back when his external fixator had just been taken off, practically.

if I remember correctly his first start was against the Skins and they put a beat down on San Fran 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Redskins played against Smith and the 49ers in his rookie year. We scored 50+ points and he sprained his knee running for his life.

21 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If Haskins’ best is Alex Smith, we will need a new QB. Alex is a competent QB but no where near great. 

1 minute ago, dyst said:

If Haskins’ best is Alex Smith, we will need a new QB. Alex is a competent QB but no where near great. 

Honestly this is an insult to Alex Smith, he took multiple organizations to the playoffs and had this putrid sack org with a winning record before the injury.  Haskins came in and laid out some of the most putrid stats for any QB anytime - so we will need a new QB :)

20 hours ago, MartinC said:

Redskins played against Smith and the 49ers in his rookie year. We scored 50+ points and he sprained his knee running for his life.

Damn I remember that game. 1) Because it was like everytime we touched the ball it was a touchdown

2) Because I think we were blown out and shut out at Giants Stadium the next week.

Frank Gore did have a long TD in garbage time (I was rooting for him since the game was out of reach).

21 hours ago, MartinC said:

I remember that game too.

Mainly because there was a guy I knew who was a fan of some AFC team, and he loved to mock my Skins any chance he could.

Even if they won. He was like "Any team can beat a sorry ass team like the 49ers. That don't mean anything".

My response was "Average or good teams just simply beat the really bad teams. But GREAT teams like the Redskins, don't just beat the 49ers - they utterly decimate them they way we did. So yes, that game DOES mean something, because of the way that we won !"

And then that "GREAT" Redskins team that I spoke of, lost 0-36 to the Giants the very next week.

But actually we ended up 10-6 that year, after winning our last 5.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I do appreciate the fact that he's worked his ass off to get in better shape. Dude was straight up chubby last year. All that baby fat appears to be gone now, he actually looks like an athlete.

Hopefully that translates into more speed and nimbleness. Frequent criticisms of him last year. 15 pounds is ALLOT. That alone should make a big difference .

Curious what it is that he's doing that requires a helmet?

Is he just practicing with the helmet to make the reps more game like?

Also, am I the only one who thinks he looks a little scrawny in that picture?

I love that he's in better shape and watching some of the tape he does look faster and more nimble but I do worry he could be less capable of taking hits if he's lost too much weight.

Last year I thought he definitely had a little baby fat but I also saw a body that looked like it could absorb a lot of impact, he doesn't seem to have that heavy frame anymore and that could be good and bad.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I also saw a body that looked like it could absorb a lot of impact, he doesn't seem to have that heavy frame anymore and that could be good and bad.

Smart QBs won’t get hit that often and hopefully that’s the type he’s trying to emulate. 

that and he’s still a big dude. He’s like 6’4 isn’t he? Regardless, he’s no Griffin. He should be able to take a hit especially if he limits them. 

only time will tell really though. I still worry about his ankle personally and he can’t grow fat there lol

On 5/2/2020 at 10:51 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

To what extent do you agree with the brief breakdowns below on last year's rookie QBs? 

Murray I agree with.

I have Lock 2, Haskins 3, Jones/Minshew 4.

Basing this on potential AND sample size. So nothing is saying that any of them can't fall or jump. Just how I see it from my perspective at the moment. 

I can understand the argument for Jones ahead of Haskins, but I don't agree and not just because I'm a Skins fan. I have no qualms with calling it as it is for Haskins... But while Jones is much better at getting the ball to his receivers and putting up gaudy statistics, he was also a walking turnover. Haskins, despite his flaws, protected the football relatively well. That is a trait that is hard to change in your career trajectory. Some guys do it, absolutely, most can't. And guys who start off being relatively safe with the ball anecdotally seem to continue that trend moving forward.

Is this even real life?  here are Minshews stats with a pretty pedestrian supporting cast

Record: 6-6 / TD: 21 / INT: 6 / Yards: 3271 / CP: 60.6

Here is "Simba"

Record: 2-5 / TD: 7 / INT: 7 / Yards 1365 / CP: 58.6

So in EVERY measurable category Minshew was better than "Simba" and by a wide margin overall, yet posters would rank Simba higher?  He was one of the worst QB's to take a snap in the NFL last year overall, and its not even really close, and he compounded it by embarrassing himself over and over again.. sheeeesh (lol) :)

31 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Is this even real life? 

Hard to say...  Haskins played just well enough to help beat the Colts in last nights Madden tilt.  He finished 235 yds with 2 TD's (both to Reed) and 2 picks.  Now, I'll take full responsibility for the first pick forcing into nickel zone on 3rd and long but the 2nd pick... sheesh!  The putz under-threw wide open McLaurin on a come-backer for a pick-6 and the Colts first score!  Final score Skins 28-21.  If it wasn't for AP with 153 yds and 2 TD's, I dunno...

Haskins is not ready for prime-time yet and has to have a solid ground game..

Archived