Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Its rarely as simple as "he sucked". Situation, supporting cast, coaching - it all matters.

Agree, 100%...well 98%. Pretty sure Jamarcus Russell just plain sucked.

But this is why watching the process, how the player gets to the results, rather than just the results themselves is so important.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

You realise Carr was the first overall pick in the draft for an EXPANSION team? He was thrust onto a team that was literally in its first year with a collection of players from an expansion draft an new coaching staff and new ... well everything.

A good experienced vet QB likely would have done better than Carr. But a rookie? And Carr didn't do badly by the way - he was playing decent football and progressing his first 3 years. But the sack numbers he was taking were insane - and yes some of that was on him holding the ball, but some of it was on the dysfunction around him which included scheme and play calling. He got to a 7 win season his 3rd year but the sacks just caught up with him - I think he just got gun shy. Got a Super Bowl ring though from his time as a backup with teh Giants.

True. A QB can absolutely help an O'Line. But then so can a coach help both. Dom Capers was fired for Gary Kubiac for start of the 2006 season. Carrs sack numbers fell quite a bit, his completion percentage went through the roof (went to 68%) but his deal was up and end of that year Kubiac wanted to bring in a guy he was more comfortable with in his sytem from his time at Atlanta in Schaub. 

Its rarely as simple as "he sucked". Situation, supporting cast, coaching - it all matters.

We can coulda woulda shoulda a lot of players who don’t make it. Whatever the reasons/excuses can be made for Carr, point is he didn’t succeed with the Texans, Giants, Carolina or the 49ers. 

Just now, dyst said:

We can coulda woulda shoulda a lot of players who don’t make it. Whatever the reasons/excuses can be made for Carr, point is he didn’t succeed with the Texans, Giants, Carolina or the 49ers. 

No that’s not the point - that’s the question. Specifically why didn’t he succeed? Reasonable minds can differ on that answer - but ‘He sucked’ is way too simplistic.

Yo, can we talk about the Carrs?  (Just what I needed.)   I'd like to clarify the route we're all running here.  Burgundy Yoda called a "Derek Carr" (comparing Jones) but later ya'll started running a "David Carr".  Those are two totally different routes (one of which is still starting for the Raidahs).  Was this an audible I missed or did someone get in the wrong Carr?

2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Yo, can we talk about the Carrs?  (Just what I needed.)   I'd like to clarify the route we're all running here.  Burgundy Yoda called a "Derek Carr" (comparing Jones) but later ya'll started running a "David Carr".  Those are two totally different routes (one of which is still starting for the Raidahs).  Was this an audible I missed or did someone get in the wrong Carr?

It was a check with me.

But good point! 

While I'm still pretty iffy on Dwayne I don't understand the love Jones is getting. He just screams of a guy who will never be more than the 12th-17th best QB in the league, never will be good enough to be a real franchise QB.  His ceiling appears to be pretty low to me, I'm fine if the Giants want to roll for 10 years with a QB like that.  

That list shows me the most important thing for a young QB is coaching. As long as the QB is receptive and willing to work, and there's talent there to work with, a good coach can mold a QB into greatness. I don't know much about our current QB coach tbh, or much about Scot Turner, hopefully, they're ready to work. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That list shows me the most important thing for a young QB is coaching. As long as the QB is receptive and willing to work, and there's talent there to work with, a good coach can mold a QB into greatness. I don't know much about our current QB coach tbh, or much about Scot Turner, hopefully, they're ready to work. 

The QB whisperer. Kenny Zampese!

https://www.redskins.com/news/five-things-to-know-ken-zampese-redskins-quarterbacks-coach

The best take on Haskins. It's absolutely dumb as **** to think Haskins was going to magically make this offense better. You had horrible play calling and just an overall terrible team.

No discipline...no culture. We are no longer rooting for a Vinny/Brucifer run team anymore. Stop with the shanaghans of switching QBs. Let the maturation process happen. Particularly when the alternative is a minus 6ft. QB with injury history. These pundits got some folks hooked line and sinker on Tua. He'll be in the virtual green room. Mark it.

As much as I like to hear good things about him, his ability to talk about an offense in a meeting ranks far below the training camp warriors and the shiny preseason toys. It wouldn't be until after a player gets fired that we'd hear "and this dumb **** couldn't even read the offense in a picture book lmao"

15 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

As much as I like to hear good things about him, his ability to talk about an offense in a meeting ranks far below the training camp warriors and the shiny preseason toys. It wouldn't be until after a player gets fired that we'd hear "and this dumb **** couldn't even read the offense in a picture book lmao"

I mean, it's not what we were hearing about Haskins last year when learning an NFL offense so I'll take it.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:03 PM, volsmet said:

What the 3 first rounders giveth, coach Locksley taketh away. 

More seriously, though I am serious about how atrocious I believe Locksley to be, Ruggs at WR 1 is getting some serious buzz.

You heard it here first, dorks. 

On 4/21/2020 at 11:34 PM, NYSkins21 said:

"Zampese, 52 [ ].  Ken Zampese has been around professional football since he was 9 years old. That's when his father, Ernie Zampese, began his 36-year NFL coaching career with the San Diego Chargers in 1967."

///

Let's see.  I'm 52.  I was born in 1967 (on the exact day a band called "Soft White Underbelly" played its first gig.  They later became my favorite band).  So either Zampese is not 52 or dad didn't begin coaching in 1967 (or this article is a few years old).

This gives me hope for the Redskins offense. Passing on first down (successfully!) is the key to a good offense. The most successful three play sequence to get a first down is pass, run run. 

If you can consistently get into 2nd and 3 a lot of things will work.

27 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This gives me hope for the Redskins offense. Passing on first down (successfully!) is the key to a good offense. The most successful three play sequence to get a first down is pass, run run.

A lot more pressure on Haskins, but I like that approach. It's also going to give someone like Gibson all kinds of touches.

Archived